5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ... it's actually 6 books!, 25 Jan 2013
J. Higham "joehigham" (Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
I can't add any more information to the other reviews, as they say, it's an excellent book with plenty of fun and of course interesting information to tuck into. However, I just thought it useful for anyone browsing this book, and the Wooden Books in general, to understand that this book is made up from 6 of books (complete versions) in the series. It combines 1) Sacred Number (Wooden Books Gift Book), 2) Sacred Geometry (Wooden Books Gift Book), 3) (Platonic and Archimedean Solids) By Daud Sutton (Author) Paperback on (Oct , 2005), 4) Harmonograph: A Visual Guide to the Mathematics of Music (Wooden Books Gift Book), 5) The Elements of Music: Melody, Rhythm and Harmony (Wooden Books Gift Book) and 6) A Little Book of Coincidence: in the Solar System (Wooden Books Gift Book).

From the editor's preface it seems there's also extra material added, although I'm not sure at what points. Anyhow, what's useful to know for anyone browsing this page is that if you buy this beautiful edition DO NOT buy the above mentioned books as they're all included here, and probably the reason why this is a hardback, and the others just paperbacks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, now wearing the t-shirt., 23 Mar 2012
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
I got this book for myself, a man beyond the years of life, the universe and everything. I thought I knew it all. I was wrong! No, in all seriousness I like this book. I got it before I have the trivium book but beggers cant be choosers. For those thinking this book will walk you through the later part of the idea of learning the Trivium and quadrivium, well it wont. It WILL provide you with all the bases for your understanding. You will keep this book handy when you are doing maths with the kids (more of that later) or or just chilling out with a bit of personal research on religion basics and history understandings.

It has all you need to get you started, and I say that cos I have not yet thought it has reached and end. I have had this book for a while now and I am constantly turning to it. I have recently taken my child out of school (11) and the proof is in the pudding because he has a better understanding of lots of things that he just did not get before. Of course it started with his maths and all the tables and charts at the back of the book (taken from the bigger explanations within the chapters) we have been able to cover tonnes of cr+p that the school system just did not bother with. He was distruptive in class as they were just too fast for him. He likes answers and never got them before the class just moved on. So he rebeled. This book calmed him down (belive it or not). He has a very logical mind and this book filled the gaps that he wanted. Since then, he has calmed down and surpassed is school mates, and finds learning any new stuff a dodle. The quadrivium, if you didnt already know, is a way of connecting the threads that one gets with 'normal learning. You learn a method that helps you in many ways. Once you have the method, you apply it to other lessons and it all comes together far quicker due to the repitition of the basics.....if you get what I mean. :)

When I said it wont walk you through itself, as a book, thats because you do the walking. As you read over it once, then again in greater detail in the places you like more, you get to understand the other bits you didnt like so much and are thus drawn to them. So you end-up reading it as you need it and all over the place, in differing orders. This is a good thing, because like my son you will pick up what you NEED to know when it happens.

Bloody brilliant.

Tom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent anthology, 28 Mar 2012
Frank Bell (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
I've enjoyed a number of the "Wooden Book" series in the past
and so decided to try this collection. I haven't got to the
"Harmonograph" section yet but, so far, the rest has been excellent.

As with the other "Wooden Book" editions that I've read, there
are a number of well-known elements along with a number of
not-quite-so-well-known ones that I've also encountered but the
real pleasure is in finding the nuggets of "Hey, I didn't know that!"
that are scattered throughout the volume and in having a single
easy to grab book that summarises each aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful item, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
This book is more about the wonderful visuals. This does not delve deep into its subjects, however if you're like me, someone who has not studied science and geometry in particular but find them fascinating, then you will still learn from it. I bought it because I thumbed through it in an art shop and then regretted not picking it up after. The drawings are gorgeous and refined, making you feel a bit like you've come across the notebook of a renaissance scholar. The cover is very nice too, with shimmering letters. It makes a lovely, intelligent coffee table book.. something you can just pick up and flip through as you find a random topic and explore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 July 2014
Love it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
Fasinating, all the keys to the universe and space travel, lovely patterns, keys to life and they have a whole series of these books but this is the one I like best.

5.0 out of 5 stars connect the dots, 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
why didn't they teach it to us this way in school?

what marvellous illustrations and an overall precious presentation!
thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
Basics of numbers/music/geometry easily understood. Very interesting, teachers should read books like this and make the subject interesting for students.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compilation of six exceptionally beautiful books, 23 April 2013
Dr. Ingolf Triebener (Berlin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
This is a compilation of six books in the Wooden Books series: Sacred Number, Sacred Geometry, Platonic and Archimedean Solids, Harmonograph, Elements of Music and A Little Book of Coincidence.
Although I already had two of those six as separate editions, I don't regret buying Quadrivium; it is still worth every penny, as anyone who ever held one of those fascinating and beautifully designed books in their hands will understand, or even merely looking at the title page will give you a pretty good idea of it. Unfortunately, the silver writing on the cover wears off quite easily, especially since I often have to carry this book with me, in order to show it to colleagues, friends and students, but I wouldn't let this affect my top rating. Definitely a marvellous, splendid book.

5.0 out of 5 stars MESMERISING!!!!!, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven (Hardcover)
This book is awesome!! It evokes stimulating thought & Imagination!! makes me smile and feel more intrigued with every paragraph read. . .A book all creative open minded Thinkers should not be without. . . If you like all things Metaphysical then this needs to be on your shelf!!! (if this book & then this review are appealing to you. . . .Add to your basket and make your way to the checkout!! ) ENJOY!!!! :)

Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven
Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven by John Martineau (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2010)
10.49