Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Shop now Listen in Prime

Format: Hardcover|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 August 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This ~180 page book is packed with very practical tips covering the whole spectrum of camping.It gives guidance on what tent is suitable for your needs and positively advises you to go and look at tents rather than buying them directly from the web -obvious really, but if you don't, then the pretty tent on the Internet site may not suit your purpose. For example if there are 2 of you -choose a 4 person tent to cater for all of your gear. I would have liked some pictures of the various tent types on offer -but this is a pretty small criticism. I found it refeshing that the book also covers Europe, USA, Canada and Australia too. Even if you have camped a few times you can learn from this book -like butane is no good to cook with below 2 deg C as it doesn't vaporise -or indeed that "glamping" is glamorous camping where you go to a site with a tent already set up -so much less hassle -and should attract bods who think camping is just for anorak types. I like the summary on page 25 concerning the 1-4 season sleeping bag definitions. The book also covers things to consider if you are going camping at a music festival such as Glastonbury.
I did not know about the CCI - Camping Card International which is a kind of ID card which is used in lieu of your passport at sites abroad.
I like the fact that the book includes recipes too -such as the all-in-one breakfast -a kind of add everything stir fry. Also, that ideas for games are included to cover those boring days -oh, and whenit might rain! The idea of an old car mat outside the tent to ensure you take your shoes off at tent entry. The book also covers kids's stuff, how to cope with toilet issues etc.
So overall a hard-nosed book with no nonsense -when it comes to considering what you need to know when planning camping trips -this book is a very useful aid
VINE VOICEon 26 July 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The book is incredibly thorough and detailed, and includes many different aspects of camping including common rules of campsites, right down to what material tent and clothing you should buy. Pretty much every aspect possible has been covered, and there's a bit on 'festival camping' which I thought was a nice touch, as it considers other types of campers rather than just the standard family holiday type. The instructions are very clear and easy to understand, and i'm doubtful that any queries won't have been covered in this book; it really is quite phenomenally in-depth.

It's the perfect book to read before embarking on your camping trip, but the actual layout is all black and white text, and lots of it - so if you want an immediate reference that's easy to pinpoint certain details, this probably isn't the best for such a thing. The only issue there is with it is that it's hardly a "pocket" book...only if you permanently wear a lab coat everywhere would you have pockets big enough to fit!
VINE VOICEon 1 August 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As someone who hasn't been camping since a school trip many moons ago, I have found this little nugget of golden info very encouraging and insightful for a future camping project.

I like the design of the book. It is an ideal size to pick up and dip into and will fit easily into my rucksack. Lots of hard won information is easy to find and digest from this compact book.

I see that there are many areas of camping about which I had no idea; this book has shone a light into those areas. It not only enlightens me of their existence but also provides a solution to the potential problems.

I have looked at several books on camping recently, some with full colour pictures and fancy layouts, but this little black and white, text-only 'bible' gives the clearest picture of how to embrace the world of camping.
on 6 June 2012
They say staycationing is the new going abroad and that camping is the cooler than ever. I need no conversion; until I sold one of them recently we were a three tent household. The blurb for this book offered tips for beginners through to fun ideas for the more experienced camper. We camp a handful of times a year for up to 5 nights so we're not novices or super-experienced and I was hoping to find some useful info.

What I got instead was an incredibly basic guide that would be suitable for new campers with no common sense. At points I was stunned that some of the content was seriously included. There were 5 tips for things to do while camping that you don't need any equipment for that included looking at the stars and watching the sun rise or set. Honestly.

I was looking forward to the promised fantastic food ideas for a camp stove, but apart from a recipe for what was essentially a fry up and one for pancakes the rest were all for BBQs, something we never use. When it got to a checklist for a repairs kit I got my hopes up that something useful would follow but there was nothing on how to use the bits mentioned.

There was nothing in this book that you couldn't find online via a search engine, although I am sure for someone taking their first trip ever it could have a few gems in there. I can't remember if I picked this up as a freebie or if it 99p - it was definitely one or the other - but if I had paid the current £4.80 price for the kindle edition I would be seriously unhappy.

This book tried to cover too much ground in too little detail and in places just came off as patronising. The only thing this book has done is remind me how much I love camping and get me thinking about getting our kit together for the first trip of the year soon.
VINE VOICEon 16 September 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm surprised to see how many positive reviews this book has received. Personally I found it fairly pointless. It is way too sparse to be of any practical value, with much of the advice offered being painfully obvious (i.e. make sure you have a warm sleeping bag if it's going to be cold out). For anyone with any knowledge or experience of camping, it offeres nothing insightful or new, and for true novices the suggestions are too brief to be useful. I was also disappointed to see that the empasis was completely on campsite camping as opposed to "wild" camping. I would have found tips and observations about real outdoor skills far more enlightening than etiquite tips about cleaning up after yourself in the campsite toilet block. This one's going to the charity shop.
on 12 August 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This little book is packed full of useful information and tips. It would be extremely useful to anyone thinking about camping for the first time, or after a long break. I have camped in the distant past, but was not familiar with innovations such as electrical hook-ups, which are helpfully explained. Tips such as to buy an extension lead which has a built-in RCD and MCB are very welcome.

Although the book is described as a "bible" providing every camping rule of thumb "at your fingertips", it is probably better suited to being read before embarking on a camping expedition, rather than as a reference book while in the country. This is especially true of chapters such as "all about tents", "what to take" and "choosing where to camp"! The layout is quite snappy with lots of headings and boxes, but it contains not even a single illustration, which would perhaps have added some variety as well as being informative (a picture of a geodesic tent would have helped this reader, for example).

The chapters on camping with children and suggested activities may be interest even to quite seasoned campers.

The food chapter was probably the only slight disappointment, being rather short with a few, slightly random recipes (does one really need step-by-step instructions on how to cook corn-on-the-cob on a barbecue?!).

Overall, this is a very worthwhile book.
VINE VOICEon 30 July 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The camping pocket bible is one of 22 pocket guides (correct at time of review, published in 2011). It is small enough to fit in a barbour type jacket pocket. It is broken into 9 chapters, the first deals with tents, what type is going suit what person or family. All variants of tent pros and cons are detailed.
The second what to take and buy before you go.
The third where to camp and types of camping.
The fourth how to camp safely, fires etc, and dealing with hot or cold or wet weather. The fifth camping cooking and water purifyng etc.
The sixth gives ideas for activities while camping. The seventh is about camping with children and young babies, Eight is about festival camping, and the final chapter is a checklist.

My favourites were the activities while camping, really inventive ways of creating games from old logs or twigs. No need to carry or buy so really practical and helpful. Also liked the recipes especially the one pot breakfast for less washing up and I enjoyed learning about the history of camping.

Really useful section on what gas bottle types to buy or not and to bring along an extension reel if want to use the electric hook ups on site. I recommend you read it ahead of your trip and bring it with you to remind you of the activities and games, and save reading the section on history of camping for when there.
on 20 October 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ordered on a whim (I was off camping the next week, and it was available for me to check out on Amazon Vine), I was initially scornful of this book. Treating it as a reference book, I skimmed it and homed in on all the bits that were stating the obvious, tossing it aside as though there was nothing it could teach me. Admittedly the pocket, hardbook format looked nice, suggesting old fashioned wisdom, but the contents seemed rather shallow.

Further investigation however revealed to me that this is a book better read from cover to cover and absolutely great for the novice camper (which, if I am honest, includes me). It gives straightforward and practical advice best suited for your average family camping holiday. It is not a Bear Grylls survival guide, just a collection of nicely laid out tips to help you have a pleasant family holiday. Camping is a fabulous thing to do with the kids and in my opinion beats any package/hotel/overseas experience. So anything that helps first timers or occasional triers have an enjoyable and safe experience gets my thumbs up. If you are starting on your first big camping adventure as a family this would be a perfect guide.
VINE VOICEon 25 August 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm an amateur camper, by which I mean that I takes the kids camping with friends once or twice a year. For our first few trips I relied on those friends for advise on what gear to take, booking the campsite, borrowing items and help on what to do. This book takes the place of all that advise and if you are setting out camping on your own for the first time will be a really useful thing to have. If you have been camping a few times before you will know pretty much all of it already, it still has some useful references for websites and such but once you've done it, there isn't much more help to be gleaned from this book. It is a handy reference and is pocket size, it is easy reading too, so if you haven't been camping or are setting out on your own for the first time, I'd would recommend it strongly, if you have friends to help you it is less useful. It contains advice on what sort of tent to buy, what sort of sleeping bag, whether you need an electric hook up or not etc.

In summary: Good up to the point where you have been camping a few times and are confident.
VINE VOICEon 15 August 2011
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This was a really interesting and easy read, having practical information and instantly useable tips. It's not an extensive and detailed manual but that is part of the attraction. It is just the kind of thing I need to get me motivated in the winter months prior to the camping season ahead. One of those lovely little books that gives comfort and interest in the winter evenings.