5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating read!
Published on 15 Feb 2011 by G. Alexander Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much new
If you've read the books, you don't really need this book. It's little more than a rehash of the plots with no real insight into the characters and little additional information. There's a little information about film and TV adaptation. It's cheap enough, though, that, if you need a quick plot summary, it might be handy.
Published 2 months ago by Cas

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating read!, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
This is one of the most fascinating books I've read in a while. The author's passion for Austen shines out from the pages and her clear and fresh but also emotive style is a joy to read. The book provides a well-rounded and absorbing insight into Jane's novels and I was amazed at how much more I got out of Pride and Prejudice once I was armed with this wonderful little volume. One of the book's highlights are the sections on the social and historical context of Jane's work which manage to be informative but not at all stuffy, for example guidance is given on hosting your own Regency dinner party (and also on why each guest's manners don't match up to the standards of Regency ladies and gentlemen).
A book I'd recommend to scholars, schoolchildren and anyone who'll listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Austen-tastic!, 27 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
When I first bought this book I thought I would dip in and out of it, but I ended up reading it cover to cover. It offers an excellent introduction to the world of Austen - her life, books and tv/film adaptations and provides more unusual and interesting facts for those more familiar with her work. The Pocket Bible manages to avoid being patronising or gimmicky like a lot of current books based on Austen and has enhanced my enjoyment of my favourite novels. It has solved many Christmas present problems for me this year, thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for any Jane fan!, 5 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
I absolutely adored this book! It's full of interesting little facts that even the most avid of fans won't know about. A definite for any fan of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jane Austen Pocket Bible, 10 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book. I thought I would use it as a companion to reading Jane Austen or to check up on facts when I watched a particular film, but the book is so interesting that I simply read the whole thing through.
It is an entertaining read. Not only does it provide information about the novels themselves, it also sets the historical background for Jane Austen's writing, providing an insight into her life and the culture of the time period. There are synopses of the novels with descriptions of the main characters and suggestions of the themes to look out for in each novel. The book also covers the various film and television adaptations, providing a brief critique, information on the costumes, and details of the film locations. This book contains everything you would like to know about Jane Austen and is an absolute must for all Jane Austen fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars a perfect book for a fan of Austen's world and novels!, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
I bought this book simply because I love all Jane Austen's novels and the late 18th and the early 19th century society. The book is superb and it has a lot of information about the characters in the novels, Austen's real life, all the movies and some fun facts that at least I didn't knew before. I recommend it very much, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Present!, 11 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I liked all of the Jane Austen films. I learned so many things about Jane and her life and works. It is crammed full of interesting facts, written in an easy and informative way. This book is a must for all Jane Austen fans.
Lesley Birbeck

5.0 out of 5 stars A brill read!, 10 Jan 2011
Tia (Herefordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
Could hardly wait to receive this as I bought it for my daughter and started to read it and its really interesting. Great for fans of Jnae Austen or readers new to her books. Full of facts and information. Arrived quick and well protected.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not much new, 20 Jun 2014
Cas (Southampton) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for background understanding, 1 May 2013
Leyla (DIDIM, Turkey) - See all my reviews
I thought this booklet a terrific bargain at 99p! I learned the background and a lot of new vocabulary as well as it explaining some of social norms and etiquette of the time. It left me hungry to read more of the great lady's books. I should think this would be an invaluable quick read for students of literature of the era.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative!, 8 April 2013
This review is from: The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) (Hardcover)
Very informative and interesting. I really loved it! I would recommend it to Austen fans and to readers new to Austen :)

The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles)
The Jane Austen Pocket Bible (Pocket Bibles) by Holly Ivins (Hardcover - 11 Aug 2010)
6.99