4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners
This book differs from many of the 'get to know your machine' books in that rather than just talking you through your machine and it's functions it has a series of workshops that teach you different functions and skills with a project to make in each one.

Published on 1 Nov 2010 by Sewing Directory

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful Book but Often Hard to Follow
Published on 18 Feb 2012 by Elk2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful Book but Often Hard to Follow, 18 Feb 2012
Elk2011 "Elk2011" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
I purchased this book after buying a sewing machine like several other reviewers and like them I wanted a book which not only taught you the techniques but also gave you some projects to work through and put them to practice and in that respect this book fits the bill. There's several nice projects, giving you a wide variety of nice items at the end including bags, scarves, aprons, curtains, blouses and dresses many of which were items I really wanted to own (rather than just made to meet the criteria of testing my new skills).

However, I was surprised to find given the universally good reviews on Amazon that I frequently found sections of the book (particularly the "teaching" sections) very confusing. I had to read text many times in some sections and even then I resorted to "having a go" in order to work out exactly what was meant. The diagrams were sometimes helpful but I also found these hit and miss. I think the main issue is that in each "step" you will be given multiple instructions, usually with one diagram which relates to only one of the instructions - often you don't know which! I usually end up either referring to another book to cross-check what I think is meant or looking up videos online.

I don't think myself to be someone who usually struggles with such things, so was surprised to see no one else had mentioned this on Amazon. I am potentially comparing this to a wonderful knitting book (Knitty Gritty - by Anneta Patel) which I recently learnt to knit with and it's coming up short against that quite high standard.

In summary, this is a nice book with some nice projects but unless you are already familiar with the basics or are willing to do a lot of re-reading and cross-checking as I have done then I feel there may be more clearly written texts available for the novice sewing machine owner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners, 1 Nov 2010
Sewing Directory (Devon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)

The book starts off with an introductory section that explains how the machine works, other sewing tools and equipment you might need and explaining the different types of fabric and when to use them. The workshop section teaches you different techniques and then gives you a project at the end of each section to practice your newly acquired skills. Subjects covered include Seams, Hems, Stitches, Bias Binding, Fastenings, Zips, pockets, darts, gathers and pleats.

The book itself is easy to follow with large colourful diagrams and plenty of written instructions too throughout. I like the fact that the projects are not just your general women's clothing and gifts or small home accessories. There are useful sections on making curtains and blinds as well as a guide to understanding patterns. It also contains 7 full size pull out patterns in the back of the book.

This book is perfect for someone who has just got their first machine but would also teach a few new tricks to those who have been using a machine for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the novice, 27 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
I bought a new sewing machine and hadn't a clue how to use it. This is a practical book full of great tips. Highly recommended for the novice.

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you a great book, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
This is a great book, I am a complete beginnner at sewing and found this book to be very helpful and informative. Also you get full size patterns too, which I didn't realise, so that was an unexpected bonus. If your new to sewing like me, the easy to use and gentle narrative will certainly help you feel at ease with any sewing machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 20 July 2012
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
I'm not a beginner, but I am an entirely self-taught needlewoman and I fully realise that there are probably easier ways to go about things than the way I do them. This book was remarkable in that it covered every detail of my sewing machine and introduced me to things like the various feet that I'd never fully understood.

After the "getting started" section, the book is divided into a series of workshops and each workshop ends with a project to make up, a cushion cover, an apron, a skirt and so on. Just about all the techniques you will ever need are used in these projects and the patterns included seem simple to use. I'm fairly certain I will use all of them - even the child's dress when I have no children, because it looks so pretty (and the charity shop will appreciate it).

One of the most useful features is a chart showing different fabrics along with the most appropriate needles, thread and so on to use with them.

So far I've had the book less than a week and my new sewing machine arrives tomorrow. My fingers are itching to get started.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sewing Machine basics, 13 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
Absolutely fabulous book for anyone wanting to use a sewing machine. Clear, concise instructions and diagrams.

Great projects to work through to develop your skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars must-have for beginners, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
This is such a great book for those beginning to sew or have very little experience, like me. The book is arranged into "workshops" where you are shown various techniques using both diagrams and detailed instructions. You then get to put your new-found skills into practice by attempting a project, which is exactly how I like to learn.
The projects are attractive and useful : there are 2 cushions (one simple, the other more complicated with a zip and piped edging), an apron, a bag, a scarf, a roller blind, a pair of drawstring trousers, a skirt, etc.
What impressed me most about this book is that the publishers have not skimped on ink - the book is absolutley bursting with gorgeous colour diagrams and photos.
I would not hesitate to recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sewing basics, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
I recently purchased a sewing machine and didn't really know where to start. I had a basic knowledge of how the machine worked but no idea about what to do with it other than sew straight lines. This book not only explains numerous techniques, seams, edges, corners etc it gives you projects to do which give you a idea of the sorts of things you could make with your machine. I have so far completed projects 1 and 2 and find the book very easy to understand. The only thing that could improve it would be if it was spiral bound to enable it to lie flat whilst you are working from it. A definite good starting point for anyone who is sat in front of a new sewing and no idea where to start!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
I've just purchased my first sewing machine and brought this book as a guide. It is more than just a guide, the information is excellent so clear and easy to follow, it takes You through everything from basic use of the sewing machine to handling fabric and even workshops which I'm working through already. I refer to it constantly and wouldn't have been able to start using my machine so quickly without it. An excellent book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay especially for beginners, 5 Dec 2013
This review is from: Sewing Machine Basics (Paperback)
Good illustrations and description but after seeing a friend's, I would probably recommend The Sewing Book (Alison Smith) as it is equally well explained and illustrated and covers many more skills and techniques.

Sewing Machine Basics
Sewing Machine Basics by Jane Bolsover (Paperback - 14 Oct 2010)