on 14 February 2013
I bought this as a cousin was due to give birth, and she and her husband are the type of people you can't buy something for (they've even built their own home). I love most of the patterns, and it seemed like the ideal book for a beginner. The first thing I made was the lace booties, and if I'd reviewed the book then, I would have given it five stars.

However, I started making other things from the book, including the baby sleeping bag which I thought was amazing. I can only say that I give thanks for the fact that my mother knits, because a number of times in different patterns, it is entirely unclear as to what to do based on the information given in this book. For example, one pattern tells you to decrease on the purl, but nowhere in the book can I find any instructions on this, and which method would work best according to which way you want the decrease to slant. I also came across a part of a pattern which was incorrect, and given I'm not experienced, it was useful having someone to whom I could say "Mum, is this wrong, or am I just being silly?"

I am still a fan on the book, but now treat it with a pinch of salt, and do a lot of research on the internet for new stitches/to clarify matters. There are some amazing blogs which explain all sorts of things clearly, and nothing beats a video demonstration on youtube to quickly convey what is meant.

I don't think it's suitable for an advanced knitter (I think they would be quite bored by the patterns), but if you are a complete beginner, try to find a knitting cafe or friends who are more experienced who can help you when the book is unclear. It's probably best suited to someone who hasn't knitted for a while so wants some simple patterns to get back into it, or for someone who is a bit past being just a beginner. The main problem in my view is that whoever edited it didn't do it properly, and so missed silly mistakes/types, or assumed knowledge that the beginner wouldn't necessarily have.
on 2 September 2011
This is a good book - remember it's American. I had to google some of the stiches as they call stitches by differnt names.
This is a good book if you are knitting for girls - a bit limited for boys in my opinion
on 14 June 2011
This is a lovely book with many cute baby patterns.

I tried the booties in the book. I think it gives the wrong needle size. I use 4.25 instead of 3.25 to get the correct gauge. The booties was so cute and nice.

Overall, I will give it 4 stars.
on 17 July 2011
I am on my first project out of this book and am enjoying knitting it. I will knit more projects.
Too many knitting books are full of patterns you never use, are too complicated or fiddly. These are straight forward and wearable. I would recommend it.
on 20 March 2013
I love this book. I have been knitting since i was a little girl and have only ever known some of the very basic stitches. this book has provided me with all the instruction i need to become an advanced knitter and is a great place to start for new comers. Highly recommend for beginners and experts as the items in the book are beautiful and the perfect gift x x
on 20 November 2014
Some knits cuter than others, all fairly easy and a good range of sizes. Would be good if options were given to knit each item in any size from 0-3 months up to 2 years or older. Instead I have had to scale some patterns down.
Some really lovely little projects in this book for knitters of all abilities - loving the bear and am already on my third one as every time i finish one someone "wants" one for a special little member of their family.
VINE VOICEon 24 April 2012
This is a well presented book but some of the patterns are a bit old fashioned for my taste. To be fair though it would behighly unlikely that anyone would find a book and want to make every item in the book. There are a couple I will make; I am currently making the little pixie hooded jacket. It is so simple and would be good for a novice knittter. It is turning out really well and it knits up very quickly. I think the book is more suited to novice knitters but sometimes it is nice to knit something simple for a change so all in all I like the book.
on 7 March 2012
I've managed to knit a few things from this book for my soon to be born grandson,the patterns are easy to follow,thank you for this lovely book.
on 15 August 2013
lots of lovely knitting patterns which are easy to do, me and my mum have tried lots of things already.