on 17 December 2011
Not only are these costumes cute there is a nice balance between boys and girls. They also provide the foundations for being more inventive. One word of warning though whilst the patterns are basic you do need to have a little knowledge as some of the instructions don't always explain every detail - For example the basic dress pieces must be cut on folded material not just as two single pieces - so read them carefully before you yield the sissors! I have other Emma Hardy books and enjoy making many of her items.
on 14 June 2012
I absolutely love this book!! I am a keen sewer anyway so relish the challenge of making clothes for my 2 year old daughter and this book really didn't disappoint! I had visions of turning her into a fairy princess or butterfly but all she wants is the dinosaur!! This book is absolutely perfect for the novice sewer or those short on time, because the costumes mainly begin with items of clothing you may already have- the dinosaur for example begins with a romper suit (or leggings & t shirt for older children) and the fairy begins with either a vest or petticoat. All the techniques are explained and there are alternative options to make the designs easier or more intricate. There is a really good split of boys and girls costumes within the book. I would recommend this book to anyone who has a creative urge but needs a starting point or a few ideas. Go on, you know you want to!!
on 9 June 2011
does what is say's - cute and easy costumes - the patterns in back are ideal for school shows and dressing up in general - used it twice in 3 weeks & looking forward to more projects for my kids
on 19 November 2011
I love this book. I have not sewn for many years and was nervous about trying the patterns in this book but I needn't have worried. The patterns and instructions are simple and I find the ideas very inspirational with a good mix of ideas for both girls and boys. After making 2 Halloween outfits I am now making an angel outfit for Christmas. I find I can make the outfits in about 3 or 4 evenings - but a more experienced seamstress would take only a couple of hours.

I have had so many comments about my costumes that I have a waiting list of friends wanting to borrow this book

I agree with the other reviewer that buying all the materials does cost quite a lot but I think the more you make the cheaper it will become as you start to keep 'leftovers' such as ribbon, elastic etc. Also, the pleasure and enjoyment I get out of making something unique means that for me it is definitely worth it.

All in all I am very happy with this book and with 2 young daughters I know I will get years of use out of it.
on 22 February 2013
i bought this book a few months ago, having two under four doesn't give me much time for any project but i have managed to make two sheep costumes, two fairy skirts and the red riding hood (absolutely georgeous). my next project is the black cat and the pumkin.
having the full-size patterns is great, although the way to look at them isn't clearly explained and even need adjusting sometimes (the riding hood pattern only came down to the shoulders whereas the picture shows it down to the knees, therefore i added some length to it).
i'm a biginner, the result isn't perfect but i'm happy with it and it didn't take long. also, these are just ideas, so with some imagination and adjustments you can create your own costumes.
of course, buying all the material adds to the cost but can you compare buying a cheap plastic/polyester from China or using cotton? and there's the added pleasure of creating something...
on 14 February 2013
I love this book! I have already made the knight costume, which went down really well, and have lots of requests for other outfits for my nieces and nephews. When my son is old enough, he is going to have the best dressing up box in the world! I love that she uses items that we all have sitting around the house, in combination with some lovely fabrics to make costumes to treasure.
The instructions were clear and easy to follow, and had nice pictures too, both of the finished article and of the steps to make it. The knight costume took me a little over an hour to make, and my 6 year old nephew loves it!
on 2 May 2012
This book does what it says - offers cute and easy costumes for kids. I have made 3 from the book now and all have worked out well. You can easily take the ideas and adapt them for other costumes, which I have also done. I made the fairy costume on the front and it took about 1.5 hours, my daughter really loves it and it cost about half what it would have done to buy a similar one. I have also made 2 pirate costumes and a King's cloak - also popular with my children. Several friends have borrowed it and achieved similar successes. Highly recommend.
on 29 October 2010
I ordered this book for ideas this coming Halloween and had a huge success! My boys were happy to choose their own costumes, then my friend borrowed it and she made 2 costumes for her girls and then mothers at school were all very impressed with how easy and adorable the costumes were in this book. Great photos and step by step instructions for anyone.
on 28 November 2012
This is ideal for beginners and experts alike. The designs are easy to make, with easy to follow instructions. I particularly like the included pattern pieces, and also some designs use items that your child may already own, and just need slight modifications. I would definitely recommend it.
on 3 May 2012
Very easy costumes to make and with a little imagination many of them can be adapted. I am now picking up pieces of fabrics & ribbons just in case I need to make a costume in a hurry. I get lots of comments on how nice her costumes are.