‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good source of inspiration, 1 Sep 2010
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
I bought this after trying one of the patterns (for baby booties) that I'd found published in a magazine. There are some lovely projects in here, all good examples of the simple, pretty scandanavian style which I really like. The instructions are clear and easy to follow and the projects use a nice range of techniques (applique, cutwork, embroidery etc).

The only reason I'm giving the book four stars rather than five is that all the templates - except for the booties that inspired me to buy the book - need to be scaled up. It's particularly annoying when several of them are fairly small anyway - seriously, why should I have to blow up a template for an egg cosy? Such a shame, as I'm sure I'd have made more of these projects by now if not for this hassle.

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely projects, materials can be hard to source, 18 Jan 2011
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
This book contains elegant, achievable projects. I was keen to try several of them, and started with the floral scarf, which was much admired.
My criticisms are: the instructions are not always completely clear (and it can't be that complicated to describe how to make a scarf!) and some of the fabrics are difficult to source in the UK. To get hold of boiled wool in cream, you will have to boil an old jumper, and very thick cream felt is almost unobtainable unless you buy 5 metres, and it's exorbitantly priced.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 11 July 2011
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
I'm relatively new to this type of craft work and having had a proper look through the book now I'm confident that there are projects that I can start of easily with and others I can work towards with a bit more time and effort. A nice variety of things to try.

Bit annoying having to scale up the templates for designs that are only that little bit bigger and perhaps could have been accommodated at their full size in the book. I found 1-2 of the explanations and diagrams for stitches in the back of the book impossible to understand.

But on the whole, very happy with this lovely book and can't wait to get going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply stunning, 16 Mar 2011
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
I just bought this book and adore it already. I haven't made any projects yet as I am in the process of moving to a new area, buying a house, looking for jobs - but I can see so many ideas in this book that I can't wait to make for my new home. The instructions look clear and detailed, though I haven't personally tried to follow them. I can well imagine mixing and matching the ideas, e.g. using an embroidered motif from one project to decorate a different project from the book. So many ideas, so little time!!
By the way, I've been buying from Amazon for years and have never written a review before but had to this time, that's how great this book is.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE it!, 19 Feb 2011
Wow, a beautiful book !!
It is SO well presented... an excellent choice for anybody with an
interest in sewing, embroidery and/or Folk Design.
Simple projects but maybe not for the total begginner (?)
A knowledge of basic sewing and embroidery will help to make the most of it...
There are helpful clear instructions of all the embroidery stitches at the back and hey! like Clare Youngs says:
..."the odd wobbly line or few misplaced stitches all reinforce the charm"...
Excellent, Excellent photographs- Totally inspiring!
LOVE it! Already planning buying another copy for a friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian Needlecraft, 31 Aug 2010
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
This is a brilliant book, full of ideas which may easily be transferred to so many 'makes'.The stitch guide is good for beginners and everything is clearly set out. The only downside so far is that I cannot source locally the range of felt colours and thickness used in the book which is a shame because these add to the authenticity and appeal of the designs, but I will keep looking!
This is a lovely book to add to anyone's collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad I bought this, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
This is such a beautiful book. The patterns in it are so pretty, easy to do and look amazing. Usually you get one or two patterns and then a book reverts to patterns that are not too pleasing to the eye but this book is a delight throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring stuff, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
This is an excellent book. Clear instructions, beautiful pictures, great ideas.
Borrowed this from my library prior to purchase.
Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandinavian Needlecraft, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
Scandinavian Needlecraft by Clare Youngs is full of lovely ideas with easy to follow instructions. Have already made one project and it looks great.

4.0 out of 5 stars scandanavian embroidery, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Scandinavian Needlecraft (Paperback)
the book is lovely. I would recommend it to an embroiderer it was just not exactly what I wanted. I wanted to make scandanavian items

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Scandinavian Needlecraft
Scandinavian Needlecraft by Clare Youngs (Paperback - 11 Feb 2010)