5.0 out of 5 stars A Captivating Debut, 8 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Fireball (Bright Young Things (Quality)) (Paperback)
A captivating debut novel that's funny, moving and written with great pace and a evocative sense of place. The characters, in particular the two friends Razor and Chris, are nuanced and utterly believable. There are literary echoes here, from 'The Catcher in the Rye' to 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest', and the novel explores the complexities of male friendship with admirable honesty and humour. Also, the structure of the novel is compellingly adventurous, as it holds off the dramatic climax with great skill, setting up suspenseful set-pieces and enjoying the pleasures of youth: fighting, drinking, smoking, partying and falling in and out of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown Away, 31 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Fireball (Bright Young Things (Quality)) (Paperback)
Have you ever felt like going out with a bang?

Fireball surprised me by being as good as it is. That isn't to say I was expecting it to be bad, but sometimes you worry when you buy a book by a new author that you might be taking a gamble with your time. This isn't just a good book by a new author. This is an excellent book, period. Keevil controls the etire novel with a command one would expect of a novelist thirty years into his career. The characters exist in such a well-rounded state that they aren't just characters, they're real people. The scene with Chris and Razor (the two main characters of the book) and the man in the turtle neck had me laughing at the absurdity of reality, and the things we indulge as annoyances for no justifiable reason.

The novel taking place as a kind of extended flashback from the perspective of Razor was a stroke of genius, because it allows us to see Chris from the angle of someone who idolises him, instead of Chris's obvious self deprication, painting every concievably bad action in a way that makes us empathise with a character who, in any other fashion, would seem so wholly unlikeable that they would make a terrible protagonist. (Yes, although it is from the perspective of Razor, I consider Chris to be the protagonist). The relationship between the characters also allows us to see a true friendship in such an amazing way that by Chris's suicide, I almost expected Razor to have been forced by Chris to not join him.

This, combined with fantastic narrative voice, a near perfect use of vernacular, a highly unorthadox, yet excellent, structure and a staggeringly deep plot, makes Tyler Keevil's 'Fireball' one of the best novels of 2010.

As previous reviews have said, keep an eye out for Keevil in the future, and his next novel, 'The Canadian Chronicles' later this year. I know I will.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - Highly recommended book, 15 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Fireball (Bright Young Things (Quality)) (Paperback)
This book is fantastic! The characters are great and you find yourself drawn into their story immediately, the plot is enthralling. It tells the story of one year in the lives of 4 Canadian teenagers following a heroic act, and all that follows afterwards.

The main character is compelling, and you find yourself thinking about his story well after finishing the novel. What can I say without raving too much? Okay, the story completely sucks you in, I couldn't put this book down. It was written almost cinematically, I felt like I was watching a film in my head, because the metaphors and imagery were so powerful. There is an inevitability throughout the whole book, as though you have a sense of what will happen, but you can't stop yourself reading just the same.

On a superficial level, the cover is much more attractive than it looks in the image supplied by Amazon, it's bronze and embossed; it looks expensive and classic. I have already bought more copies for presents.

Look, I don't want to say too much, because you just HAVE to read it. What I would say is that if I was a teacher, I would buy this book for my teenagers to study. It would make a great present for anyone, but would be a great book particularly for teenage boys, but basically for anybody who enjoys reading as this novel is amazing. I would say that this novel could become a cult classic and should definitely be winning awards for New Writing!

BUY IT! ENJOY! Fireball

5.0 out of 5 stars Read all about it!, 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Fireball (Bright Young Things (Quality)) (Paperback)
Fireball is a car crash in slow motion.Time becomes elastic in this ingenious narrative where characaters and events are revealed in startling clarity. Tyler Keevil has created something that stays in the imagination long after the book is put down. Funny. Tragic. Beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, 8 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Fireball (Bright Young Things (Quality)) (Paperback)
When I picked up Fireball, I had this notion it would all be in chronological order. Pah! What a silly idea I had, and what an excellent idea Mr Keevil had. The story reads exactly as the main character would tell it, his voice staying strong throughout as the narrative plays around with time. Brilliant. Keep an eye out for this guy.

5.0 out of 5 stars I agree, 26 April 2013
M. Daniels - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fireball (Paperback)
This really is a good book, one that stays with you, a little haunting even...What has been said by the other reviewers is true. Buy it!!

Fireball (Bright Young Things (Quality))
Fireball (Bright Young Things (Quality)) by Tyler Keevil (Paperback - 11 Oct. 2010)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available