5.0 out of 5 stars Nice de vous voir, de vous voir, nice, M. Kington!
Brilliant to see Franglais again. I love Franglais - this book is full of fab new pieces (very very funny) and the drawings are a breath of fresh air. Just the ticket for Christmas and ideal for any student struggling to make sense of GCSE FRENCH, or even A level French, and have fun on the way. Every loo should have one.
Published on 27 Oct 2010 by Mrs J

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather Boring
Soon found the book rather boring and some of the phrases childish. Not a book that holds your attention and certainly did not make me laugh.
Published on 14 Sep 2012 by B. Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice de vous voir, de vous voir, nice, M. Kington!, 27 Oct 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Franglais yet ..., 8 Nov 2010
This is a tremendous addition to the Franglais canon for all Miles Kington aficionados. Since its early appearance in his brilliant columns for Punch, Franglais has taken the jester's place in the realm of English variants. When Sarkozy visited England in the November this year, it seemed only natural that a number of broadsheet journalists should report the encounter between Prime Minister Cameron and the President in Franglais (some with greater fluency than others). Le Bumper Book of Franglais keeps Franglais bang up to date with a satirical take on the textures of contemporary life ranging from celebrity culture to recycling and arts funding to TV cookery programmes. The book, written as a series of language lesson dialogues, is wonderfully fresh and funny - subtle and sustained observations where sense and nonsense coexist in the unique world created by Miles' linguistic concoctions and lively sense of the absurd. It's also a reminder that his acute perception and command of language put Miles in the front rank of a long tradition of English letters and arts combining humour and social comment, and of the talent that was lost with his untimely death in 2008. Caroline Kington has produced an outstanding compilation, wittily illustrated by Wendy Hoile's original drawings. In short, the best Franglais publication yet - a classic for connoisseurs and ideal introduction for new readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like 'Allo Allo', you'll love this., 20 Dec 2010
Aileen Brown (UK) - See all my reviews
Miles Kington knows how to take the piss out of us Brits or is it the reverse?
I've been trying to learn French for years but reading the paper or even a junior school book can be slow progress. Franglais is a brillian antidote, using enough French to pretend I'm helping my French but with enough English to be able to guess any words I don't know. It's brilliant to be able to read hilarious text, understand all the jokes & never need a dictionary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely hilarious, a must-read for anyone speaking French at any level., 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Le Bumper Book of Franglais (Paperback)
Absolutely hilarious. read it non-stop between meetings of my U3a intermediate French group and found that it gave me the confidence to speak more fluently by just imagining that I was doing so in the Miles Kington style. In fact for my following week's homework I wrote a piece of imaginary dialogue in the Franglais style recounting a real-life episode from my past when I was working at an AA Townpoint and mistakenly went outside to change a member's wheel - only to be reprimanded later and told that I should have called the breakdown centre and have a patrol sent out..
Based on this book I shall probably back-track and read other Kington collections (once I have reduced the stack of unrelated volumes by my bedside).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Franglais enthusiasts, 4 May 2014
Brilliant for anyone who has O Level french or even just knows a few words. very reasonably priced for Kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Running joke, 26 May 2013
This review is from: Le Bumper Book of Franglais (Paperback)
My husband and his mate are both really bad french speakers, and use franglais all the time, so this book really hit the spot and is why we bought two.

5.0 out of 5 stars J'espere to copier son style, 24 Nov 2012
D. W. Reap (NW London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Le Bumper Book of Franglais (Paperback)
How delightful that he made the French language facinating to francophobes like my wife. His humour is superb and will be missed

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Bumper Book of Franglais, 6 Jun 2012
This review is from: Le Bumper Book of Franglais (Paperback)
Easy to order, good price and very quick delivery. Have been waiting a long time for this compilation of Miles Kington's books to appear. Even with only a little understanding of French this is a very funny book which contains scenarios in 'franglais' mimicking the attempts made at French by many English people who say what they can in French but throw in English words when the need arises. Sounds as though it could be a bit dull but not at all. Each scenario presented is like a mini sitcom and funny in itself but if you know a bit of Franch it's even funnier and you can see how clever Miles Kington was in writing this mixture of French and English. Any students who are finding French a bit tedious should try this book. I used to use extracts with my older pupils at school and they loved it. Really pleased to have got my hands on this entertaining book after a long wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very drole, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Le Bumper Book of Franglais (Paperback)
It is the first Franglais book that I bought and I am very glad I did. The stories are very funny and will make a perfect gift to everyone who did French at school. I use Franglais everyday as I am French and my husband English so we use the first word which comes into our mind when we speak. I bought the book for my husband as a Christmas present but started reading it and keept it for myself! He will have it when I am done with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let me see!!!, 22 July 2011
Bought this book for my sisters partner for Christmas. I read a couple of chapters before I wrapped it and laughed out loud. But I can't get it back off him to read the rest.It certainly appealed to my sense of humour and obviously to his as well.

Le Bumper Book of Franglais
Le Bumper Book of Franglais by Ian Hislop (Paperback - 28 Oct 2011)