Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 November 2012
A welcome addition to Moorcroft's Middledip set series of novels, this focuses on Liza Reece, a holistic therapist at The Stables. Blighted by her reaction to a marriage proposal, which in turn led to more serious repercussions, Liza leads a buttoned-up, work orientated life. Enter Dominic Christy, ex-air traffic controller, who is dashing and obnoxious, clearly smitten with her and suffering from narcolepsy - they fit well together but, as always, the path to true love never runs smoothly. There are a lot of things to praise with this novel, from the expert characterisation (we know very little about Edward, who runs The Stables, but Sue paints us a vivid picture with one or two sentence and it never leaves us), the locations and the use of narcolepsy, where its clear she's done a lot of research, but it never appears stiff or educational. Liza is a typical Moorcroft heroine, tough but with a tender side and she's the sister of Cleo (from "All That Mullarkey" and still one of my all-time favourite female characters ever), revelling in her role as Auntie (Cleo now has a young son and it's nice to get a snapshot of her life, later on from her own novel) and we want her to do well and move on from the traumas of her life. With a nice jealous/vicious angle from a secondary character, this is never less than readable, moves at a good pace and is full of life. Very much recommended.
on 21 October 2012
This is the first book I have read by Sue Moorcroft so I had no expectations of what would be on the pages.

I was delighted to find a book that hooked me in straight away. It's a great story of young people struggling in their own ways, whether it is the boss from hell, relationships that have broken down or health issues that people just don't seem to understand!

Really well written with characters that you will connect with and enjoy following their paths. Lots of fun and laughter to it, but it also had a very different element to this book with the condition of the leading man. Dominic suffers from narcolepsy and it is extremely obvious that Sue has invested a lot of time in researching this condition which in turn actually meant whilst turning the pages and enjoying this novel, I was also learning something!

A wonderful read and a real page turner. I certainly will be reading more of Sue's novels in the future.
on 8 October 2012
This book was amazing, but I've come to expect nothing less from the lovely Sue Moorcroft. Her characterisation is second to none. I genuinely already miss the characters, particularly Dominic, Liza and talented little Crosswind. The plot is surprising, yet plausible, and keeps your interest the whole way through. Even bit part characters are intricately woven into the fabric of Middledip and Liza and Dominic's lives so cleverly. I love the ties in with other Sue Moorcroft novels. Middledip was always an intriguing place and characters like Cleo, Justin and Shona were so loveable the first time round, it was a joy coming across them again. Although Ratty (my favourite choc lit hero) never got look in! The reflexology aspect was quirky and intriguing, and Dominic's narcolepsy fascinating and handled so beautifully. Choc Lit at its BEST! I will be recommending this to my book club, friends, family, facebook friends and twitter followers!
on 8 November 2012
The two main characters in this book are Liza, a reflexologist who works at the holistic centre, The Stables, and Dominic, who initially comes to Liza as a patient. Liza's whole life revolves around her job at The Stables following the break up with boyfriend under painful circumstances, and Dominic is trying to find a new purpose in life following his recent diagnoses with the sleep disorder Narcolepsy.

As The Stables is linked to a hotel, it should be doing well but the manager of the centre is not prepared to listen to any of Liza's ideas to increase business for herself and the other therapists. Meanwhile when Dominic hears that the lease at The Stables could be up for grabs, he's seriously interested in it, and some more of the land from the hotel, to launch a new outdoor activity centre but the holistic therapies are definitely not part of his plans which puts him on a collision course with Liza.

Will they be able to put their differences aside to work together, especially when a third party comes into the equation that threatens both of their livelihoods, to make both of their dreams come true?

Dream a Little Dream is the first Sue Moorcroft book that I've read and if this is a sign of what I can expect to find in her other books then I won't be disappointed. I really enjoyed the storyline and actually learnt a thing or two about Narcolepsy along the way and it contained a fantastic mix of characters, not just the main characters Dominic and Liza, but also the supporting characters but I especially loved the sound of the lovable dog Crosswind, I wish I had a dog like him.
on 7 November 2012
I have been eagerly awaiting this novel from Sue Moorcroft. She piqued my interest from her research blog posts ... one in June 2011 giving her blog readers information about Dominic Christy and narcolepsy and another in August 2011 relating to further research for fish pedicures. I wanted to see how her research translated into a work of fiction.

Dream a Little Dream begins with a Prologue. Liza and her two best friends are at boyfriend Adam's 30th birthday party (one of those with all the relatives present and hardly any friends). To relieve her boredom she's inhaled the helium from one of the balloons ... when Adam, up on stage, asks the big question. We know Liza's answer but not what happened afterwards.

Chapter One we meet Dominic Christy. Dominic was diagnosed 10 months ago with Narcolepsy and cousin Miranda has talked him into trying alternative therapies. Waiting in the treatment room at The Stables for his Reflexology treatment with Miranda, he makes a sexist comment, not realising that Liza has come into the room. This is their first meeting. It's actually quite a humorous scene! The reader finds out that something terrible must have happened after Adam's 30th party ... but we don't know what could have such a devastating affect on Liza, making her shut herself off the world and not engaging fully with any relationships whether co-workers or personal. This was definitely a hook for me.

Dominic is looking for a new business venture and when he finds out the lease may be available on The Stables, starts making plans for an outdoor adventure centre, not realising that Liza is also interested and has ideas to expand on the therapies. This is obviously a cause for conflict as their attraction deepens.

Dominic's best and oldest friend Kenny is due back in the UK soon. He's qualified to coach, fitting in nicely with Dominic's plans for The Stables. We soon find out that they both have the same taste in women and agreed years ago that all's fair in love and war. This is another conflict throughout the story ... and it's not until much later that we find out just how much (not just for Dominic but for Liza too). This was a total shock to me! and I felt quite indignant! Kenny is a secondary character that nevertheless, causes many problems.

As one conflict ends in the story it is replaced with another, hooking the reader on and leading them smoothly into the next tension-laden conflict.

Moorcroft's research into narcolepsy has been created into something real and tangible. It doesn't dominate the plot but is an integral part of it - an integral part of who Dominic is. Dominic ... an amazing character. So solid and logical but also with such a depth to his feelings and always there when Liza needs him most. I definitely lost my balance at the Halloween fancy dress party (fab descriptions of his costume and what was underneath!) and later, back at Liza's home! I can't mention Dominic without also mentioning his sidekick, Crosswind - a dog with plenty of character of his own! Such an entertaining mutt.

Some chapters are led in by messages on the PWN/sleep message boards (People With Narcolepsy). These messages are relevant to the content of the chapter, however, there is another significance to these messages which I have to admit I hadn't worked out. What a surprise! Loved that I hadn't worked this out.

Not only have I been entertained by the tension, conflict and romance but I've also really enjoyed Moorcroft's humour and style of writing. For example, when Liza has braved going into town with her friends for the first time in ages, we know something is about to happen ...

"What?" Like a child left alone with bedroom monsters, Liza didn't want to turn and look."

How brilliant!

And how beautiful is this personification ...

"Through the window, he watched the trees in the garden stretching their black arms to the clouds, summer's green-leaf clothes turned to brown autumn rags."

Dream a Little Dream is a novel that has engaged all my emotions, hooked me in with the conflict and tension, entertained me with all the characters and kept me on the edge of my seat with the simmering romance. For these reasons, it's a keeper for me!

I would like to thank the publishers for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.
on 9 November 2012
Moorcroft has real people with real issues, and I love the settings too. Here we are back in Middledip. I like the quiet small towns

In this we have Liza a reflexologist yes I have never met a heroine who is one before. She used to be fun and out there, but now she is more quiet after something that happened. And with quiet I do not mean quiet, just not out partying all night long. Because she is not afraid to speak her mind.

The hero Dominic has narcolepsy, yes, never met a hero with that before either. And he has it rough, he lost his job cos of it and is not allowed to drive. He is staying with his cousin and he is not happy. I liked him and I liked how it was also portrayed how some just do not get what it's about. Like he could just get over it.

Will these two meet, fall in love and be in lalala land at once, ha, of course not. This is a real romance after all ;) Yes they meet, yes there is an attraction but they will have to work for it, and then work some more. They both have problems and dreams that have to be dealt with first. And in the end this is a couple that will last.

Conclusion:
If you want a little reality with your romance, but still being able to dream yourself away then this is the book for you.
on 16 November 2012
I love Sue Moorcroft books and always look forward to reading one of hers, this was no exception. I really liked the insight into narcolepsy as like most people was pretty ignorant on the subject. Sue's stories are always lighthearted and easy to read, no great drama's or heart stopping shockers, though that is not to say they're boring by any means. I like their whimsy and am becoming really attached to the village featured in several of her books.
Thought Dominic was a babe and having met Liza before in "All that Mullarkey" it was a pleasure to meet her again, but get into her character more this time as the female lead. And what about the dog? What a character, he deserves a book of his own!

I loved the follow up to Cleo, Justin and Shona from ATM it was nice to see how it worked out. Thought Adam was a real creepy character and loved the way that was written. May I say, I never quite trusted Dominic's "best mate" suspecting him from early on of not being as genuine as he appeared. Glad to be proven right on that! Don't particular like to give resume's of stories in case it spoils it for the reader, so hope I haven't done that here. My advice is just download and read, you won't be disappointed.
on 22 November 2012
As usual with Sue Moorcroft's novels, you really get to know the characters, the hero sizzles from the word go and there is no end of conflict with the heroine but you find yourself really willing them on to sort things out.

I liked the fact that it was set in Middledip where I had 'visited' before with 'Starting Over' and 'All That Mullarkey' and was able to catch up with some of the earlier characters.

Getting to know Liza properly was a real treat. She comes across as a tough cookie, but underneath the bravado she's just trying to protect herself and deal with the huge guilt trip she's on. Dominic Christy has problems of his own both medically and personally. It was interesting to find out more about his sleep disorder - how this diagnosis had impacted on his life and how he struggled to come to terms with the physical and emotional effects.

The secondary characters and sub-plots add to the story line and weave in and out of the plot with ease. There are some twists and turns along the way, with a great little surprise at the end. I couldn't finish without mentioning the fabulous Crosswind - what a great canine character he is!
on 24 September 2014
This is a gorgeous story.

Liza is a very likeable protagonist: guilty about her break-up from clingy Adam, a martyr to her own impossibly high standards, she is thwarted in her ambitions by the lease-holder of the therapy centre she works at, who has no room for her great ideas and may well be about to manage both their businesses into the ground. Then along comes Dominic, who is learning to cope with the loss of his dream job and his driving license due to his narcolepsy, but who needs something to do to make money, has capital to invest and has his eye on the therapy centre. Both free and single, they could be there for each other, too, but their principles and ambitions - and the ghosts of old loves - are causing them to clash, oh so slightly. And just who is the third party suddenly on the scene, trying to snatch their ideas and outbid them while they are sorting out whether they can work together... or whether they should just be together?

This is a highly plausible and involving tale, and Moorcroft takes great care to factor in how Dominic's condition would affect him and the people around him. The characters are particularly well-crafted, and I love how we get to see the development of the relationship from both Liza and Dominic's point of view. There was a sense of the peripheral characters having real, full lives of their own too - I confess this was the first of the Middledip books I had come across, and so hadn't realized that this was, in fact, the case. I look forward to reading the rest of the Middledip books now, and finding out just how Chloe met Justin...
on 23 September 2013
Highly acclaimed author of women's fiction (chick lit) Sue Moorcroft stands alone within this genre, for her novels are unequalled by their unique distinctive flair. These wonderfully readable novels are so beautifully understated that any reader can instantly connect with the author on such a personable level; as though she is reaching out with truth-drawing clarity. It is so refreshing to relax into a good book and feel instant confidence by the assured writing, that the story will be another spectacular sensation and delightful joy. I was not disappointed with `Dream a little Dream' that surpassed all my preceded expectations, by the way in which it effortlessly draws you in to then become entangled in the characters sagas. It is so easy to loose yourself within a book that contains colourful, captivating characters amidst an intensely hypnotic plot. This would make an ideal holiday read, relaxing read with a cup of tea or `an escape book' (where the surrounding world is forgotten for a while). This deliciously dreamy tale is classic contemporary fiction at its very best, by an author who continues to produce outstanding editions for the bookshelf.

Short synopsis ~

What would you give to make your dreams come true?

Liza Reece has a dream. Working as a reflexologist for a troubled holistic centre isn't enough. When the opportunity arises to take over the Centre she jumps at it. Problem is, she needs funds, and fast, as she's not the only one interested. Dominic Christy has dreams of his own. Diagnosed as suffering from a rare sleep disorder, dumped by his live-in girlfriend and discharged from the job he adored as an Air Traffic Controller, he's single-minded in his aims. He has money, and plans for the Centre that don't include Liza and her team.
But dreams have a way of shifting and changing and Dominic's growing fascination with Liza threatens to reshape his. And then it's time to wake up to the truth ...

Award winning author, Sue Moorcroft's fifth `Choc Lit' novel is an unmissable read. `Dream a little Dream' returns to the setting of her first two novels (Starting Over & All that Mullarkey), complete with characters from past novels included. By cleverly combining dreams and ambitions alongside realistic romance, Sue has created something that appeals to a wide readership. I would highly recommend this wonderful book and thank both the author and Choc Lit publishing for having the opportunity to read this.

*I won a copy of Sue Moorcroft's novel `Dream a little Dream' through a Goodreads, first-read giveaway*

[...]
[...] ~ Sue Moorcroft's published works.