5.0 out of 5 stars Up Close and Dangerous
I found this novel to be darker and more gripping than the tag/genre 'romantic suspense' suggests. I know Norfolk well from holidaying there - that fact, and the intriguing blurb prompted me to purchase the novel. And I wasn't disappointed. The author has depicted the stripped back beauty of the place and captured the eeriness of the marshes in winter to perfection. The...
Published on 11 April 2013 by Lizzie Dripping

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read
Up close is a nice easy read that kept me interested till the end. The characters were likable and as I was reading it I thought it was predictable but there was a twist I didn't see coming so that was good.
Published on 26 Feb. 2013 by laughingladywales

4.0 out of 5 stars Avery good read, 26 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Up Close (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book I have not read any of her books before but I will read again it was really good

4.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant debut novel, 25 Jan. 2013
Sarah "Sarah" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up Close (Paperback)
Up Close is a chilling novel set in Norfolk from debut author Henriette Gyland.

Dr Lia Thompson returns to Norfolk from America after learning that her grandmother has died. Back in Norfolk, she plans to quickly sort out her Grandmother's effects, sell the house and head straight back to her fiance and successful career in Philadelphia. However, once back in her home county Lia meets up with old school friends and finds herself drawn back to the rural climate, which differs so much to her American lifestyle. Lia also starts to sense that things in her grandmoher's life were not as straight forward as they seemed.

Aidan Morrell went to school with Lia in Norfolk and secretly had a crush on her. When he meets up with Lia, he is delighted that the two become friends. However Aiden is also nursing is own issues and does not seem prepared to let Lia find out his own secrets.

I really enjoyed this book. It starts off gently and soon picks up pace pushing the reader into a story with surprises around every corner. It is quite a dark novel full of mystery and there were a number of events which I had not been expecting at all. The descriptions of Norfolk and the various settings were really evocative with effective use of the sea and weather adding to the tension and more sinister side of the plot.

I'm looking forward to reading Henriette Gyland's next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed, 30 Dec. 2012
This was a great first read on my Kindle. I was hooked after the first chapter and couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good mystery as well as romance, 15 July 2014
I enjoyed this story, it was easy to read and I love the part of Norfolk that the story is set I got a little confused at times where explanation was sketchy and the climax was a little damp squib and over with out much drama but I guess as it comes under romance more than thriller that's to be expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it!, 29 Jun. 2014
CD (CHESHIRE, UK) - See all my reviews
Really could be a 4.5 if half stars were an option. I pretty much figured it out, but the climax still had me hooked. Decent writing and good editing, so no distractions for a change. I would recommend this when you want something a bit more serious...don't let "choc-lit" make you think it's humorous.

Also good as it's a standalone novel, not part of a series, so no waiting for the next instalment.

4.0 out of 5 stars good book...gripping!, 5 May 2014
enjoy this from start to finish it kept my interest....Would definitely consider more by this author! What to read next?

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVING THE NORFOLK REFERENCES, 25 April 2014
Really good read. As I live in Norfolk I loved the references to all the areas around the North Norfolk coast. Great story. Would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb read, 6 April 2014
I so enjoyed reading this one. Novels are meant to be entertaining, relaxing, engrossing and enjoyable. Ms Gyland has ticked all the boxes!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, but flawed, 25 Mar. 2014
Christine Williams "lilym" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the book. I wanted to find out what happened, but there were two problems. I guessed the ending quite early on, and there were a lot of typos that were distracting. But, that aside, I did enjoy it. I finished it, and I don't always!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, 1 Jan. 2015
The characters in this book set in Norfolk all have their secrets and issues, the author brings them alive slowly peeling back layers to revel to the reader the complex relationships that bring them together. I would recommend this book unconditionally.

Up Close
Up Close by Henriette Gyland (Paperback - 7 Dec. 2012)