5.0 out of 5 stars It moves at a cracking pace with constant surprises
Having sorted the job in Atlanta, security consultant, Devlin is returning to Chicago, but with his hatred of flying he decides to drive part of the way. In the wrong place at the wrong time - it depends on your point of view, but coming upon an accident, he is in time to hold the hand of a dying girl.

Six months later, his job takes him to London, the home of...
Published on 31 Mar 2012 by Elizabeth Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but not as good as the blurb
This book starts really well, but then the plot becomes very contrived, I saw the twist very early on, and was left feeling a bit cheated when I finished it...the blurb was better than the book. BUT.... if you are looking for a quick read, nothing too challenging, then its ok. Hence the 3 stars rather then the 1 I felt like giving it.
Published 22 months ago by Coley987

5.0 out of 5 stars It moves at a cracking pace with constant surprises, 31 Mar 2012
This review is from: Never Coming Home (Paperback)

Six months later, his job takes him to London, the home of the young girl who died in the accident, who he has since learned was in America on a visit to her father. Although he had left his details at the time of the accident Devlin had been surprised that no family member had contacted him to ask about the young girl's dying moments. Now visiting London he decides to at least call and leave his card.

His visit to Kaz Elmore, the young girl's mother brings unexpected revelations. Could Jamie still be alive? His quest to find the truth uncovers deception, murder and obsession.

Although this book is classed as romantic suspense, I found it a most intriguing mystery. It moves at a cracking pace with constant surprises. The story twists and turns. But it is also a love story as the two people with initially no current interest in embarking on a relationship find in each other an overwhelming attraction. Kaz vulnerable and still grieving for her dead daughter, and Devlin a man with a dangerous past. If you like a good mystery that keeps you on the edge of your chair, with a strong love element, this has both in spades. Highly recommended.
-----
Lizzie Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great title from Choc Lit!, 15 Mar 2012
Never Coming Home by Evonne Wareham

Kaz Elmore has allowed her 5 year old daughter to go on an access visit to the US to spend time with her father, Kaz's ex-husband. There is a tragic accident and Jamie, Kaz's daughter is pronounced as dead at the scene.

Devlin a Security Consultant happens to be driving by and cradles a little girl whilst she dies in a car crash, on a visit to the UK he feels compelled to visit the mother Kaz and offer his condolences and reassurance that her daughter did not suffer.

Without too many spoilers we then follow the story to Italy, Germany, we have family skeletons, a protégée, and many surprises. At no point whilst reading this book is it possible to predict what is coming.

Wareham treats her readers with respect, and the book is pacey, but reliable and has enough depth to be worth reading, but it is not stuffy, difficult or taxing.

Brilliant book, and if you only buy one book this month I would recommend that this is the one.

Personal read 5/5
Book group Read 5/5

The Commuting Bookworm 15/03/12

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly gripping and full of suspense from the very first page, 19 Sep 2012
Do you know that feeling when even though you have to go to school or work in the morning, you still stay up until 2 a.m in order to finish a book? Now, that's what happens when you find something fantastic. And that's how it was with Never Coming Home. When I picked it up, I expected to read a romance or maybe a family drama. But boy, was I wrong. What I thought would be a family saga with a bit of suspense and with some romance on top turned out to be a gripping romantic thriller. It just blew me away.

Evonne Wareham's masterpiece was thoroughly gripping and full of suspense from the very first page. You literally cannot guess what's going to happen next which makes Wareham's book even more brilliant. To make it even better, it was quite easy to connect to to the characters. I wasn't really keen on Kaz if I'm completely honest, but Devlin and Kaz's mother's characters definitely make up for this. It was interesting to see that even though they're both grown ups, Kaz still behaved like an angry and rebellious child at times and her mother was the one who made sense of everything and tried to calm her down or make her think logically.

As for Devlin, I think he was the most interesting character in the story and definitely my favourite one. Apart from the fact that he's good looking, there's something about him that makes you love him even more. What I liked the most was that we don't know much about his past and he's full of secrets. We know nothing about his family or his life in general and it's as if he himself doesn't want to remember either. He built up a cold and confident exterior but at the same time, you can't help feeling that there's something in there, deep down, a vulnerable side to him that he tries to control. I'm always drawn to these types of characters so naturally, Devlin was a first-class addition to the novel.

I could go on and on about how sensational Never Coming Home was but I think you'll believe me if I say it's a must read. I've ready a lot of mysteries in my life but Evonne Wareham takes suspense to a whole new level. It's shocking, it's dark, but at the same time quite hopeful and optimistic - you'll love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, but not as good as the blurb, 8 Nov 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little read if you can suspend disbelief, 9 July 2012
This review is from: Never Coming Home (Paperback)
I read this as one of my book club's choices, as this is not something I would normally have picked up, however that is the very point of joining a book club! We initially chose it as a crime thriller which it is, to an extent, but I do agree with the reviews on here that it is probably just as comfortable in the romance section.

As a crime thriller it's an enjoyable enough romp: plenty of action and intrigue from the off with many a twist along the way. Every time you think we have reached the climax of the story, there is another blindsider to throw the reader off course. The key protagonist, Devlin, has an unspecified background in dark and dangerous goings on, which ups the ante of the journey. Throw in mistaken identities, a couple of psychopaths and the obligatory location changes which take us to the relatively unchallenging streets of Italy and the USA and you have a recipe for a good old fashioned 'how's it all going to work out?' style plot.

However, as the we get drawn deeper into the story and the threads continue to unravel, one can't help but begin to feel that this is all a bit TOO fantastical while at the same time, not really giving enough meat to its bones. To give an example: there are references to a character named only as 'Luce' peppered throughout the earlier chapters but even when he is brought into the main action, it is never clear who he is or what his motivation is. Similarly, other secondary characters such as Kaz's ex-husband do not really flesh out in any satisfying conclusion. The actual climax of the story, where we finally learn the truth behind the rollercoaster plot, had something of a 'Scooby Doo ending' feel to it. There is a rather unbelievable account of the reason for the masterplan, and the reader is left feeling that it was all wrapped up just a bit too neatly.

Moving on to the romance side of the novel, this is where I really struggled. Admittedly, I actively avoid most modern literature in this category, although I am not immune to a good love story within an over-arching plot. Unfortunately it felt as though the relationship between Devlin and Kaz detracted too much from the drive of the storyline. For a recently bereaved mother meeting a stranger who rakes up the most painful event of her life, she appeared to easily dismiss her grief in favour of fantasising about Devlin! Furthermore, the speed with which the two characters got it on eradicated any sexual tension that could have been mentioned, despite the author's avid attempts to create it. There is only so much one can take of 'Christ he was getting hard just thinking about it.' Yes, you fancy each other, we get it! Can we just get on with the story please?

It is fair to say that Devlin's character develops at a sound pace and we can clearly see how his character arc transforms. Kaz is slightly more ambiguous and other than physical attraction, is is not always apparent what the draw is for Devlin. Additionally, Kaz's response to some of Devlin's behaviour in their relationship is nothing short of masochistic. It's a kind of 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me' scenario. Again (and I don't think this will spoil the book for people) it all seems to wrap up a bit too neatly in the end.

Perhaps this is merely confirmation that this genre isn't for me - I like a bit more realism with my romantic heroes! - and as a poolside book for your holidays it would certainly spice up the sangria. For the grittier crime thriller fan, I would steer you back towards Ian Rankin!

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow, predictable, irritating, 12 Feb 2014
This is a book to avoid. The characters are stiff, unbelievable and frankly silly. There is no suspense and the so called sex scenes are laughable. The whole plot is weak and unbelievable. How a mother who is searching for her child she thought was dead, and is now sure to be alive, can be so obsessed with sex I just can,t believe. The scenes with the child are not realistic, and feel to me that they are written by someone who does not have very much contact with children. I tried my best to read it but just couldn't

3.0 out of 5 stars Really clever idea which doesn't make it to the end, 21 Sep 2013
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a great idea for a novel - has Kaz' daughter really been killed as she has been told or has the news brought by Devlin revealed that it was really someone else who died ?

The book starts well, with Delin and Kaz mistrusting each other and then coming together to try to find out the truth. The plot, however, does become more and more fantastical as the book progresses and it rather descends into melodrama by the end. The motive for the child's abduction is pitifully weak and rather obvious to the experienced suspense reader when they work out who has done it (less than half way through for me). It was all too convoluted and unbelievable.

I liked the characters of Devlin and Kaz but their almost instant attraction to one another rather weakened my, by now tenuous, belief in the story. It seemed almost indecent, in the circumstances. The book does concentrate on the romance element at the expense of the suspense story.

I wish that the idea had been better developed into a full story. I found this rather unsatisfying on the whole.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this story, 7 Aug 2013
I don't usually read books involving children as victims because I generally find them too draining emotionally. However, I was banking on a happy ending , one way or another, in this case so I took a chance. I loved both of the main characters but my favourite has to be a secondary one, Suzanne. It could be argued that she was a stereotype, but in my opinion, she gave the story a rounder, more finished feeling. I have to admit that I had figured out almost the plot after the first few chapters, based on one short sentence, but that did nothing to spoil my enjoyment. I also have to admit that I did not really enjoy the blood and gore even though that was more alluded to than graphically described. I hate being told too much of the story in reviews so will say little about the actual ending other than that, one way or another, I was not disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't want it to end!, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: Never Coming Home (Paperback)
I just had to leave a quick comment about this book. From the first chapter I knew it would hold my interest. The writing style is easy to digest but still manages to deliver a fast-paced story, constantly feeding you information that leaves you wanting more. I wish the inside cover of the book showed a list of 20 other books that Evonne Wareham has written! I am (not so) patiently waiting for her second novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Coming Home by Evonne Wareham, 8 Aug 2012

Personal read 5/5
Book group Read 5/5

The Commuting Bookworm 15/03/12

Never Coming Home
Never Coming Home by Evonne Wareham (Paperback - 8 Mar 2012)