Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 September 2011
Our introduction to Star Struck is with a prologue on the set of sci-fi TV programme `Fallen Skies'. The prologue ends with writer Jack berating himself in his thoughts for being a drunk and a waster.

The story begins as best friend Felix is playfully presenting tickets of the convention of television serial `Fallen Skies' to Skye. Straight away we know that Skye is not in a good place psychologically or emotionally. We get to learn that she has been involved in a road traffic accident that has left her brain damaged with only fuzzy memories of her childhood and no memories of the year leading up to the accident. Everything she knows is from photographs and information Felix has told her.

Felix gets Skye to Nevada in the hotel where the convention is taking place and it is in this setting that we journey with Skye as she tries to push herself out of her comfort/safety zone and learn more about who she really is. I thought it was quite heart-rending watching the fear and confusion she feels.

As Skye and Jack spend more time together, we get to know that his emotions are blunted by something that has happened in the past and as the story builds, we get to know that Skye's past isn't all that she's been told it is.

I was wary of Felix from the beginning of the story. His mask slips quite often, which left me wondering what part he played in the past and what his role would be as we progressed further into the story.

There is also intrigue from the way the star of the TV show, Gethryn, interacts with Jack. My question I wanted answering was `What had Jack done to Gethryn in the past to engender such strong feelings?' I had to keep reading to find out!

The bond between Skye and Jack is there from the very beginning. The way Skye and Jack's relationship shimmers and builds was quite entrancing. I loved all the introspection! This relationship felt innocent while at the same time sizzling! Not an easy feat to achieve.

I really enjoyed the figurative language that author Jane Lovering uses ie; sometimes the shadow cast by what had gone before hung long and low over his life like a sundial at evening. How beautiful! I also liked the descriptive words ... saturnine for me, conjures images of a face and bearing that is weighed down with responsibility and obligations.

I thought it was very unusual to set a story at a convention in a hotel. Despite the majority of the story being played out in one place, it worked really well and only adds to the intensity of the feelings.

Star Struck is a psychological and emotional healing journey for more characters than just Skye and Jack. The emotions at times are deep and dark - the author has her characters delving into their shadow selves and bringing them out into the light so that they can move on to a future they can live with - a future that includes their scars. It is more than a love story! It might even prompt you to look at your own life and accept who you are.
on 7 October 2013
While never having read any of Jane Lovering's previous novels, I had seen a large amount of other great reviews for Star Struck. I knew that if all of my friends and fellow chick lit bloggers were enjoying the novel it was highly likely that I would too. Therefore I was excited to read the novel and form my own opinions.

Skye is a recluse, scared to be away from her daily routine, not even wanting to leave the house. Why? Well Skye was in a car accident that left her with scars on the inside and out. The car accident also took her memories as well as her best friend and fiancé. When offered a trip to Nevada for a sci-fi convention, Skye hopes that this will be the trip that will help her to heal. Skye wants to go in order to meet the actor she idolises, Gethryn Tudor-Morgan, but she ends up bumping into Jack first. Jack is a sci-fi writer with lots of secrets in his past. With all his problems Jack is not looking for a woman he has enough problems without adding a relationship to the mix. Even so Jack seems drawn to Skye and cannot help the friendship that develops between them. Jack, however, fears that if Skye finds out about his past, they will never have a chance at a future.

I have to admit that before I picked up this book, I was a little put off by the concept of Skye heading to a sci-fi convention for Falling Skies. I felt that it would become too much like a sci-fi novel or else I would be bored by the novel being focuses around this. That was so far from the truth! The way in which Jane Lovering adds the concept of the sci-fi convention actually makes the novel unique and provides a setting that I have never seen in a chick lit novel before. Jane's writing style also made this aspect entertaining and humorous, whereas it could have become nerdy! The pace from the first chapter was fast and meant that I was instantly swept away with the novel. Almost as soon as I was done with the first few pages I knew that my initial worries were not needed. While I do not want to give anything away about the book; there is a lot of drama that I did not in any way see coming around the middle of the novel onwards. I love it when a novel surprises me with twists and turns that shock me and I had no hint that they were coming.

I really enjoyed reading about the characters within Star Struck, in particular Skye, Felix and Jack, due to them being so flawed. The imperfections made each of the characters extremely interesting and added a large amount of depth and layers to each character. I felt that this made each character seem more realistic, as most people have their flaws. While at times I did not like all of the characters, in particular Felix, who treats Skye in ways that made me doubt his friendship at times, I found myself wanting to find out more about them. All of the characters have secrets and I was riveted throughout, wondering what each of their secrets could be. Even though I have never been in the same situations as any of the characters I found myself relating to all of them especially Skye. I was routing for Skye throughout the novel to gain more confidence and realise what she is really capable of.

I did find however that even though some aspects of the novel surprised me, others such as the romance elements did not. Again I do not want to give too much away if you have not read this novel, however it is extremely easy to see exactly how the relationships in the novel will pan out. I would have liked there to be a little more mystery surrounded what would happen in terms of the relationships in order to make the storyline a little more interesting. Additionally, while I actually enjoyed the novel being set at a sci-fi convention, I feel as though this concept will put some readers off. All I can say about this is, please don't let it.

Overall, after putting aside my initial worry over this novel, I really found this an enjoyable novel. I was gripped from the first page onwards, finding myself not wanting to put Star Struck down. It was fast paced, emotional, entertaining and I did not want this novel to end. I cannot wait to read more from Jane Lovering, and will defiantly be picking up Please Don't Stop The Music, her previous novel with publishers Choc Lit, in order to read more from this sensational author. Go out and buy this one, you won't regret it!
on 4 September 2013
Jane Lovering is one of my favourite authors, I love her characters, they're always well rounded and thought provoking, which is something that you just don't get with 'chic lit' books and something I applaud 'choc lit' for putting at the fore front. I especially was fond of Skye, I couldn't help the feeling of wanting to climb into my kindle and give her a hug and tell her it was all going to be okay at certain points of the book.

The main character Skye, when the book opens, is not in a very good state psychologically, with emotional and physical scars from a car accident which takes place before the book begins. We quickly learn that Skye has lost a major portion of her memory and she feels she is unable to move on from her accident as she can't remember things about her life that other people take for granted.

Another lead character is Felix, Skyes best friend, he can remember all the little things that Skye cannot and it's clear she leans on him for support. He's built a picture up of her life before the accident, which as the book goes on, might not be the whole truth. I wasn't sure how I felt about Felix, his mask slipped one too many times for my liking. As the book came to a close I felt I had some closure on his character, but not as much as I'd liked as I still couldn't decide whether or not I liked him or should ever have liked him at all.

At the beginning of the book Felix convinces Skye to go from her little house in England to a convention in Nevada for her favourite TV show, 'Fallen Skies' it's here we meet Jack. It's clear from the beginning that Jack has a lot of demons that he's fighting internally. Having also been in a car accident he is instead, trying to force his memories away, whilst Skye is trying desperately to bring hers to the surface. They meet and Skye shines a whole new light on Jacks perception of the world and his demons and in turn he helps Skye start to move forward emotionally.

The book is well written and at the end of the book I couldn't help but feel I just left a major friend in Skye behind. The book not only leaves you feeling happy and warm inside, it really brings forward a new way of looking at the world. If you decide to read this book, you won't be disappointed.
on 28 September 2011

Georgina
Chick Litaholic
on 27 August 2011
In Star Struck, Jane Lovering introduces the reader to two complex characters, Skye and Jack, who both have plenty of problems and both need healing. Skye is carrying a heavy burden of anxiety and distress, while Jack the iceman can't or won't confront the issues in his own past - as he says, he's not good at pain, and he hides rather than faces up to things. So here we have two badly damaged people who probably need cool, calm, sensible partners to help them through life - but they get each other.

Of course, apparent incompatibility never stops anyone falling in love. I read this story hoping against hope that Jack and Skye would be able to make each other happy, or at least - as Jack puts it - start to make (that is, reconstruct) each other again. I couldn't see how this would happen, and this kept me reading. This novel doesn't deliver a saccharine happy ending complete with wedding bells and satin frocks, but it does deliver a believable, uplifting and satifying one. Skye and Jack aren't out of the woods yet, but I believed they'd be happy in the end.

Set in the Nevada desert at a convention for fans of a long-running television show, the landscape prefectly complements the action, and the descriptions made me feel I was there. The novel is liberally laced with the author's trademark wit, and this saves it from becoming too introspective or serious, although it does have serious themes and it asks serious questions about the processes of recovery and healing.

If you enjoyed Please Don't Stop The Music, you'll love this novel, which is another great five star read.
on 15 October 2011
I really enjoyed this author's other Choc Lit novel, Please Don't Stop the Music, so I had high hopes of this one - I wasn't disappointed. Although the writing is full of humour and there are some fabulous one-liners that had me chuckling out loud, the underlying theme of the book is quite dark and truly gripping. The hero and heroine, Jack and Skye, both have issues with memories - he with bad ones that won't go away, she with the fact that she can't remember even though she wants to. They share common ground in that they've both been in a car crash and they have scars, both internal and external, which helps them to understand each other much better than other people can. Yet they hide things, stuff they think would make the other hate them.

I empathised with Skye right from the beginning and the tortured Jack instantly eclipsed the other men in the story, despite his dark and brooding (not to say downright grumpy) behaviour. They were both very believable characters and I cared what happened to them - so much so that I lost valuable sleep in order to find out how the story would end! This is an enthralling read and if you want a story told with humour, but real emotional issues underneath, I can't recommend it highly enough. I absolutely loved it!
on 15 March 2012
I enjoyed reading this book by an author who was new to me and have gone on to order 3 more of her boks, they are light and have a nice twist so they are not too frothy, good reading.
on 28 May 2012
Amazing is simply not enough to describe this book. The characterisation was second to none. I completely felt so comfortable with the characters of Skye and Jack, I missed them when I'd finished reading. It showed how public image is so different from reality and how the truth will always out. I genuinely felt I lost a friend as my kindle hit 100%.

Chic lit has an ultimately cheesy reputation and I applaud Choc Lit for picking quality, talented authors who write excellent novels which completely grip you from the off and have you wishing you were a character too.
on 8 April 2014
From the first line, I thought – this is classic Jane Lovering. Her trademark wit leaps off the page and starts the book off with a smile.
Jack Whitaker is a jaded script writer who is dark, brooding, disobliging and a tiny bit curmudgeonly. He isn’t your first pick for a Romantic hero. As Jane Lovering often extols the virtues of the Beta-male; I agree. Gethryn is the Alpha-male of the story, but he is so slick and full of himself- my money would be on Jack any day of the week.
Skye in many ways is like a blank page and since her accident, she has become a new person. Skye has a wicked crush on greasy Gethryn, and takes her time to figure out who she should be with.
Jack is such a contradictions- on the outside her is stern and enigmatic; but on the inside he is full of insecurities and doubt. That is Jack's appeal, he is cerebral, creative and very delicious.
Jack understands Skye- and they compliment each other like bookends. Their scars are both physical and emotional; and it is that combined empathy that draws them together. It is very touching how they deal with each other.
Underneath all the sarky comedy- there is a serious under current about loss and learning to forgive yourself. No one or nothing is as it seems- it is all about how you perceive things.
There is rather a few earth shattering twists towards the end that you will not see coming. I have to admit I was a bit shocked by them.
Star Struck is full of complex emotions. The genius of Jane Lovering is that one minute she can make you laugh and the next make you cry. This book is going on my list of favourite books of all times. I loved this book
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 September 2011
This book is not straight out contemporary romance, instead as I wrote it's more romantic fiction. The feeling of the book is darker, there are a lot of issues and people struggle. The tone is this mix of serious and more.

Skye is really messed up. She is afraid of crowds and wants to stay inside. She was in a horrible accident which killed her fiancé and best friend and the trauma is still with her. Poor Skye, so broken, and not remembering one bit about her life before. I did like her, because she was nice, I felt her pain. I understood that she could not brave the real world. But she is not in that dark hole long because she will learn to cope in this book. Her friend is taking her to this convention for a sci-fi series. Oh yes Felix, her friend, I did not know what to make of him. He was so bossy and cheerful, but he is dealing with sadness too and we will learn more.

While in Nevada she meets Jack who helps her since she was scared during the car trip. Mysterious Jack, we got a lot of hints that he was hiding something and he sure was. Everyone is a bit broken in this book. Even Gethryn who is the sexy lead actor of the show, the guy Skye has been lusting after.

But I liked that, broken people, trying to move on, trying to move past it, to cope and to survive. Some hiding it better than the rest. It made it real and the romance, well no one is falling in love at once. Skye has to deal with herself before letting someone in. But yes there is a HEA, or the road to one. There is a romantic feeling over the book after all.

Conclusion:
A different sort of romantic book. I really liked the setting since I am a nerd after all, good characters and excellent secrets.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse