5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever
I've read all of Sue Moorcroft's novels and enjoyed each one. But Love and Freedom has to be her best yet. I loved it, from the evocative descriptions of Brighton, to the colourful characters and humour. And what a hero, certainly one to set readers' hearts beating. Pacy, romantic, with an intriguing American heroine. Highly recommended.
Published on 13 July 2011 by Minskip

3.0 out of 5 stars Love anf Freedom
This story is ok, nothing to write home about but an
easy read for the beach or a journey somewhere.
Published 8 months ago by Maureen Nevitt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than ever, 13 July 2011
Minskip (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant Summer read, 2 Aug 2011
Honour (freedom) Sontag has moved to Eastingdean from America to make a
fresh start and get her life back in order. She is renting a bungalow
for 4 months, from Clarisa; she is hoping to find the mother that
abandoned her at birth. Honour is jet lagged and falls asleep in the
sun, she is woken up by Martyn Mayfair she has bad sunburn so meets the
Doctor (Zoe martyn's sister), although there are lots of Mayfair's in
Eastingdean. Honour finds herself a job and begins to settle down. Is
Honour falling for Martyn? Does she find her Mum?
I loved this book from the lovely cover to the end, I couldn't put it
down it was very easy to read and follow, I would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Characters are still with me!, 1 Jun 2011
Shazjera (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
Honor's story in England starts with being rescued by her knight in shining armour - which I absolutely loved! It was so unusual that it hooked me in. Honor is suffering from jet lag and falls asleep in the sun - so although Martyn rescues her, it's all seen from a dream-like perspective.

The bungalow Honor is renting is owned by Martyn's `sister', Clarissa. Through Clarissa and Martyn's interaction we get the picture that Martyn is not doing much with his life.

From the beginning we see the spark between Honor and Martyn sizzle. They are getting to know each other, sharing backgrounds and experiences but before things can get too hot, Martyn finds out that Honor is married. Having been recently tangled up in a love triangle, Martyn backs off and refuses to take notice of his desires (well, he takes note of them but doesn't act on them!).

On their first run together we meet Robina from a distance. Robina owns the local teashop and is infatuated with Martyn to the point where she is stalking him. Things get complicated when Honor gets a job working for her.
Honor takes Robina's son Rufus under her wing, interceding when the local bully is making Rufus' life hard.

Honor comes across as quite a strong character from the beginning - although we may get a different perspective from her relationship with her American husband Stef, I felt she was the strong one who gave stability and responsibility to that relationship. In England, she doesn't get pulled in by a local when she's looking for work, stands up for Rufus and deals with Martyn's drunk agent with strength and dignity. Honor is a very generous and thoughtful character but I did think that sometimes she put everyone's needs before her own. Honour does grow with the things she comes to realise. I enjoy seeing lead female characters grow into their own skin.

Martyn is ...................hot ................. ! not only he is very male but he's also in touch with his feminine side (he thinks about things, takes note of body language and uses his intuition!) What a very attractive combination ...................... He shows his weakness at times and we get the full force of his anger.

I enjoyed the build-up of their relationship including their thoughts as well as their actions. They seem to fit very well together as a couple - Martyn virile and protective while Honor is independent but melting. A blending of yin and yang.

Stef (Honor's husband) intrigued me from the beginning, I wanted to find out from the hints what had actually happened and what type of a person he was. I must admit that when we do get to meet him I didn't like him at all and it was easy to see how Honor could really come into her own while she was in England.

I enjoyed all the feelings we get to experience and loved the humour too. There were times when I couldn't help a chuckle from escaping.

When it was time for the big reveal - I was so stunned (probably more than Martyn!) - I had to read it again, although it made absolute sense I hadn't seen it coming. I loved that about this story.

Sue Moorcraft has crafted a tale that will hold your interest through the strength of her characters and how they interact. The sub-plots and plot will keep you intrigued and wanting to read on to find out more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely summer read and a great love story, too., 13 July 2011
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big fan of Sue Moorcroft and have read all her books, but this one is my favourite. It's about what happens when feisty but vulnerable American Honor Sontag comes to the UK to sort out her feelings about her marriage and to look for her birth mother.

Arriving in Brighton in the middle of an English summer (the sun is hot enough to burn one minute and hiding behind the biggest, blackest rain clouds the next) Honor doesn't expect or even want to fall in love. But when she meets gorgeous male model Martyn Mayfair, she finds she can't help herself.

Martyn has issues with his family, and he has also made a private promise to himself never to get involved with a married woman. Honor finds herself getting tangled up in the various strands of Martyn's life and sometimes wishing she'd never met him, but not for long!

This story is full of twists and turns and clever plotting. It kept me guessing throughout, wondering if Martyn and Honor would ever find happiness - on page 290 (out of 320) it looks as if everything has gone completely pear-shaped - but it all works out in the end in the most ingenious way.

A gorgeous, intelligent, occasionally difficult but invariably lovable hero made this novel for me, because I fell for Martyn as easily as Honor did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!!, 30 Jun 2011
P. C. Fenton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
'Love & Freedom' is one of those books which you simply can't put down. You are into the story from page one and from then on, it won't let go of you. I couldn't wait to see what would happen, but at the same time I felt totally bereft once I'd finished because I didn't want to leave these characters. They stay in your mind for days afterwards! The American heroine Honor is refreshing and immensely likeable, the secondary characters well drawn, especially the teenage boy Rufus (whom you just want to hug!). The main attraction (quite literally) however, is the hero Martyn who takes the expression "tall, dark and handsome" to a whole new level and from the moment he walked onto the page, I fell in love. I didn't think any hero could surpass Ratty from 'Starting Over', but now I'm not so sure. Martyn is more than a match for him! This is the perfect summer read - I highly recommend this book and can't wait for the author's next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming & uplifting read., 29 Oct 2011
Lisa Hardy "lisabookworm" (Kettering, Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this light-hearted and warming read. I loved the way that all the lives of the characters were entwined, and the way the author formed the relationships between all the characters.

The book was well written and very descriptive. I love a book where you can actually picture the characters easily as it helps me form the story better in my mind. If I can't connect with the characters I tend to give up easily!

There were many light hearted moments in the book, and I absolutely loved the way the author used the quirkiness of the English language, where many things are lost in Translation.

"No tan lines! Good boy. Been sunbathing in the nuddy?"

"Whats the nuddy?"

If you are American and you don't know what this means, you really do need to read the book and all will become clear.

I didn't want to put this book down and read it in two settings. This is now the second Sue Moorcroft book I've read and I'll certainly read all the others without hesitation.

If you want a book that's not heavy and will leave you with a smile on your face, then I definately recommend this!

Thanks to Choc Lit for allowing me to review this book. I was not paid for my review

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Sue Moorcroft so far!, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this story, with quirky and surprising characters and a very satisfying ending.
I have read and enjoyed most of this author's work but particularly liked this one for the unexpected twists and great characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Kindle Edition)
A great book. I liked the main characters and can recommend as an easy holiday read. This is my second sue motocross book and I look forward to reading more

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant read, 21 Feb 2014
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Kindle Edition)
This is the second book I've read by sue moorcroft now. Can't wait to get the 3rd. Yet again another book that's soooo hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this book very entertaining, 11 Aug 2013
J. Storey (Suffolk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love & Freedom (Kindle Edition)
This follows the story of a woman coming from the States, and a bad marriage, to find her mother and a new life in a small seaside town in southern England. There are some weird twists (who her mother is for a start!) and some bits that were a bit scary - like her husband breaking in and messing up the boyfriends internet accounts ! - but on the whole it had a feel-good factor and it's always nice to have a happy ending.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Love & Freedom
Love & Freedom by Sue Moorcroft (Paperback - 1 Jun 2011)
5.67