5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 13 Jan. 2014
FJM (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
When you reach the final stage of writing a book, the very last thing you need to hear is that 'somebody' has written a very decent book on the same subject... after a very long walk on an Outer Hebridean beach, where I exhausted my chagrin by pulling dulse from storm-wrecked tangle, as it glistened in the late autumn sun; I mustered up the courage to order Sally McKenna's Extreme Greens, Understanding Seaweed.

It is a stunning book. The food and marine algae (species ID) photography is breathtaking and the recipes are oceans beyond sushi. Sally McKenna is a forager, and a lady who creates recipes, which tempt my taste buds. McKenna even adds sugar kelp and ginger to rhubarb for cordial but her inclusion of seaweed in the recipes is very subtle, as any seasoned, seaweed cook will already understand. Seaweed hasn't been added to justify adapting a recipe to a 'seaweed book'; nor does she use seaweeds,which don't work well in the kitchen.This book cudgels a challenge for the inquisitive but novice, marine algae cook and there is plenty for the more advanced phycologist too.

Extreme Greens Understanding Seaweeds begins with some seaweed chat relating to identification, relevance of the moon and tides, harvesting, drying and storing. It's a comprehensive introduction.
The recipe section of the book is extensive and there is beautiful photography for those cooks, who need to know exactly what the finished dish 'should' look like. There are also sections on cosmetics, foraging and even making sea salt from scratch, which rather unsurprisingly, McKenna and I do in much the same way.

I've already asked if I can 'borrow' her seaweed oven recipe for my book. Sally Mckenna is a real kindred spirit and I have not only enjoyed reading but learnt from, her book. I purchased my book direct from John and Sally Mckennas' Guides ' website, where you will also find out about all the best places to eat, shop and stay in Ireland.

I recommend buying this book, especially if you live near the coast. Darina Allen said of it, "A book that needed to be written." Indeed it did, but I am praying hard that one day, there is a small corner for another, albeit rather similar book on your bookshelf too .

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic guide to eating seaweeds, 5 May 2014
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
I have been able to identify my seaweeds for years but never knew what seaweeds were edible. We got this book recently and today I found sea lettuce on the seashore dried it mixedit with seasame seeds and seasalt and topped my fish with it...yummy. I now have dabberlocks drying and dashi sitting on the stove. I also tried the channeled wrack and carrot salad...unbeliveably fab. I think this book is great and really something I have been waiting for for years.

4.0 out of 5 stars we eat seaweed and as a result of this wonderful little book I have learnt so much more about ..., 25 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
we live near the sea, we eat seaweed and as a result of this wonderful little book I have learnt so much more about
the skills and detail of this fascinating food resource. There is something very appealing about the way Sally McKenna writes,
she is clearly very knowledgeable but I love her slightly obsessive eye for detail too! There is just a tiny sense of the books
design not quite giving her the support she deserves?

5.0 out of 5 stars Really comprehensive..., 26 May 2014
Tansy Edgerton (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
An excellent resource. A good balance of useful introduction to the edible seaweeds, how to pick and dry, and then how to use and cook afterwards. I have 3 or 4 seaweed books and this is the most useful. A really good book for beginners and more experienced pickers alike. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extreme Greens, 14 Nov. 2014
T. Ward (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
My best book of the decade and I don't think it's likely to be bested. If your interested in food, the sea, diving, snorkeling, rock pools, cooking, nutrition, or any thing related you will love this book. A must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 2 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
What a great book. Beautifully presented, and very well written. It's clear and descriptive, giving you a great insight into seaweed. I love seaweed, I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book for anyone with an interest in the ocean, 16 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
Fantastic book for anyone with an interest in the ocean. Its full of practical info to enable you to identify, collect and eat seaweed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Never arrived., 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds (Paperback)
I thought that I had asked for this book to go to Richard Walker, not certain that I got that right though. I soon realised it was coming here,to me in west Cork.
But it never came. Did you send it by courier? They,do not like coming out into this rural location.

Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds
Extreme Greens: Understanding Seaweeds by Sally McKenna (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2013)