Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2012
Purchased this book after failing my test 1st time round and passed 2nd time with only 2 minors.

A must read!, gives you not only tips on what the examiners expect but what impresses them and more importantly what is missed out of the test and what you need to learn to be a safer rider...
on 5 August 2012
I'm very glad that about 3 weeks ago I bought this book. It's packed with the most important practical information about all the steps in getting from level 0 to full motorcycle license holder and beyond that. Detailed information, quality pictures including different road scenarios, good sense of humor and additional information on what official test does miss - all these makes this book the best friend of a beginner biker.

I was so much astonished by the quality of information, so went to the CBT Ltd motorcycle school (owned by one of the authors - Sean Hayes) without a slightest doubt, and I can say that it was utterly right decision. It was not cheap, but it was worth every penny! Although it is a 3.5 hours travel from my home, I never regret this. As 5 days later I was going home having successfully passed both practical modules with very few minor mistakes. Instructor Dave (can be seen on the photos in the book) was just amazing! He spent so much his efforts on trying to understand my weaknesses (some rising for example from push bike experience), find the cause of them and fix them. The pace of the course was just right, mostly comfortable but from time to time pushing the limits just a little bit.
We even used the racing track on the first days! I can't resist the temptation to boast, but on the very first day by the evening I was riding 1250cc Bandit up to 90mph!!!

I was so much impressed by the fact that on 5-th day on my Mod 2 I was riding completely calm with examiner behind my back for 40 minutes, doing everything right (as I was properly taught by Dave how to do everything even small tricky tasks like turning right from the one-way street) and feeling like a king of the road :)))

Thank you, Dave! Thank you, Sean!
on 15 May 2012
If you are considering becoming a motorcyclist I highly recommend you buy this book. It covers a great range of questions you will want answering along your journey of training, further training and fun, controlled riding. It introduces you to the bike controls etc and gives a guide on buying your first bike, including the different types available, the pro's and cons of buying private or trade and more.

The sections which break down the CBT, mod 1 and mod 2 are fantastic. They give you complete advanced knowledge of what to expect in reality and also help you choose a good riding school. Yes, you do need training - so don't be mislead by the book title into thinking you can read the book then turn up at a test center and hope to ride out with a pass certificate!! The tests are well illustrated and being able to absorb this info before you are faced with it whilst being on a bike for the first time is a massive advantage.

This book does not preach safety in a stuffy way but instead makes you realise how vulnerable you can be on the road should you not follow basic self preserving riding practices or try to exceed your current ability. Learner accounts and accidents are analysed and advice is given how to avoid you joining them! It doesn't pretend tho that no one ever rides fast but it does advise on defensive, controlled riding methods.

I can honestly say that reading this book was enjoyable and easy to absorb. It covers alot more than i mentioned in this review, ie road positions, cornering techniques, clothing advice, offroad and track days etc etc. I do feel that having read this book I will now be a much better rider. As far as passing the mod 1 and 2 tests go, that is for me and my chosen riding school to determine. I will update this review in late June if i remember.

Although the book title says "all you need.." It isn't strictly true - I bought it together with the DSA bike theory book £7-9, which together with a hazard awareness software download for i think £3 meant i passed my THEORY very comfortably. This book is more about prepping you for the other tests. You will want to at the very least practice hazard awareness videos for the theory.

Can't wait to get on 2 wheels. Happy riding folks!
on 16 February 2012
A great book with lots of really useful advice for getting through the bike test, lots of pictures and some good diagrams. Its a great book and any beginnner would find it very useful.
on 8 September 2011
Got this book this week, and do I wish I had this twelve months ago, would have saved me a lot of money, grief and time.
I've completed my CBT and Theory, but just haven't got to the next stage, caused by rubbish training at CBT level, excellent guidance in this book around this area, plus good information on what to look out for and ask when you approach a training school,the rest of the book is really well presented, very clear and with excellent photography and drawings, all showing very important points and reminders, all delivered by well experienced riders.
But it's the whole package that really delivers from the basic's, to the stuff you really should be taught at this level,( Counter Steering ) but I've yet to see it anyway else out there..would totally recommend this book to any rider, no matter what level, plus there are a few "instructors" out there that could do with this in there coming christmas stocking.
Using the writers inside Title.

Welcome to Motorcycling.
This is going to be more fun than you imagined.
on 11 September 2014
The book which I received does not have all 900 theory test questions, as shown on the book cover Amazon have advertised at the top of the page... and my copy has 197 pages rather than the 207 advertised

Whilst this book may very well be useful to the first time motorcyclist it is far from readable in many places. There are numerous typos in each chapter.

For example p.103 under the heading 'Deciding' second line down, reads:- 'others will be have excellent views all around'. P.101 'Using your mirrors' line eight/nine reads:- ' and back this up this with a shoulder check'. There are many more!

When you're paying £12.00, as I did, for a book on passing a bike test it is crucial to be able to understand what is being said and to receive the book as advertised, which I didn't! These might be minor niggles but might be major issues for some. Come on Sean & Rupert sort your book out, sort the publishers out,and definitely sort the proof reader/s out.Give us what you advertise and what we paid for!!!!
on 5 October 2012
This book, Pass the Bike Test, has been so helpful, clear diagrams and explanations on all aspects of learning to ride were a great aide memoire when away from the training centre. Valuable before and after passing the motorcycle test. I will continue to use it and act on the sensible advice within.
Thinking of getting on a motorcycle - buy this book NOW! I'm 50, female and I passed!
on 22 January 2012
Excellent book, highly recommend. I passed second time round, with no lessons. This book will teach you everything you need to know.
on 9 January 2012
I wish this book had been around when I began to ride, it's brilliant! Well written, I guess mostly by Rupert Paul a motorcycle journalist who I have always admired backed up with super advice from Sean Hayes a motorcycle instructor on a mission to improve riding skills. Full of Glossy pictures (in fact the book has a magazine look to it), well thought through diagrams and non patronising prose this book gently takes the novice rider through all the steps needed to pass the bike test. It then moves on to more advanced things like counter steering, reading the road and heavy breaking. There is advice on bike types, pillion work, overtaking, clothing, further training and much, much more, all essential stuff for the first timer. If you know someone who is about to embark on biking, do them a favour and get them this book. Better than the tedious official stuff and more accessible than `road craft' type books. Buy it for £9 or Better still order it from your local library and support something vital in this day and age. See book review and social comment.
on 10 August 2012
brilliant book,should have got this before my cbt,given me more information,than
my cbt.i am a lot more confident on the road now, and only half way through it.
i was terrified when i drove out of the test center,and the next 2 weeks on the road,
because i was rushed through the cbt.thank god for this book.