Format: Hardcover|Change

on 10 August 2012
You would have thought that the stories about Bobby Jones would have been told by now. Not so this book by local Doctor Steven Reid provides a new slant on the Open Championship of 1926 at Royal Lytham. Not only does is provide insights into the main protagonists but also includes a wealth of interesting information about the course at the time, the Club and the Claret Jug. Its also covers the famous shot at the 17th hole and the efforts to establish exactly where it was played from. An excellent read for those wanting to a know a little more that just the results of the Championship.
on 29 June 2013
Very little original thought seems to have gone into the writing of this book. The author has simply culled loads of newspaper and magazine articles from the period and filled up the book with statistics. I managed to finish it, but it was a real struggle. The most interesting part of the book was the section of photos.
on 20 August 2013
This is a great account not just of the Open at Lytham but also a real insight into Bobby Jones character and personality. Also nice references to others who were playing at that time. A great book about possibly the best golfer ever, I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested in the history of golf.
on 8 November 2013
With a husband with the same name, this book was an obvious choice. A good read for golf lovers and insights into the life of one of the greatest golfers of all time.
on 23 February 2015
A great read (excuse the pun)! Thoroughly enjoyable from start to finish. Obviously the world of golf has changed but does it have as many characters today???
on 22 September 2013
A fantastic and entertaining book, a must for any golf historian, well researched and attention to detail, l am sure Bob would appreciate it.
on 2 May 2013
As a golf historian I found this book interersting and informative. Well worth the 5 star rating. I recommend it to others.
on 9 May 2014
Bought this book as a guft for my husband as it came recommended by a frend. This is ow one of Craig favourites
on 9 August 2013
When it comes to non-fiction, sports writing can be some of the best there is. I have read books that take one event and create a living world around it, transport you back to a different era, to a different world view, a different kind of people, but a world you can recognise and relate to. It can be exciting, moving, thoughtful and energising. This book was none of those. About ten pages in I already felt I had read a hundred pages - and was still none the wiser after I'd actually read a hundred pages as to who Bobby Jones was. It began to irritate me as the author listed games, competitors and scores that would possibly appeal to the golf statistician but left me, as a potentially interested reader, totally cold. I wanted to know about the man, not about the 71 he carded on a windy day in Bumrock, Idaho, or somewhere. Bobby Jones is a golf icon, and I wondered why, but this book had failed to illuminate him by the time I put it down, unfinished. It may well have gone on to do a great job, as the reviews suggested it might, but the staid prose meant that I will possibly never know. The problem with the Kindle is that you often have about a dozen other books in your hands crying out to be read, and my tolerance level for "okay reads" is dropping quickly. So, I'm afraid, this book has been sliced into the rough, and I can't be bothered going to find it again.
on 7 October 2014