4.0 out of 5 stars Cook like Moominmama
Moomins were never that big in the UK, but in Finland, they are HUGE (and I'm not just talking about their shape here). If you were or are a Moomin fan, or indeed a fan of Finnish food, then this is the book for you. Don't be misled by the title - there's no actual cooking of Moomins involved here! (Just as well, as my supermarket never stocks Mooomin-meat!)...
Published on 3 Aug 2010 by Ripple

3.0 out of 5 stars A Taste of Moomin Valley
When I was young I remember watching the Moomins on television, the charming animation about a family of friendly trolls, whose exciting adventures in Moomin Valley had me captivated.
Published on 12 Oct 2010 by Cheeky Spouse

4.0 out of 5 stars Cook like Moominmama, 3 Aug 2010
Ripple (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)

The book contains over 150 recipes - together with characteristically cute line drawings of the gang. The recipes are split into:

Breakfast
Out and About
Harvesting Time
A Winter's evening
At a birthday party.

It's more for the young at heart than the young per se. While there are a lot of recipes that would be totally suitable for little folk, others are definitely aimed more at Moominmama and Moominpapa (including Moominpapa's spiced mulled wine)! And they range in complexity from "coffee" (no, seriously) and sandwiches to pies and fish bakes - which would definitely be more for the older Moomin population. There is a Finnish slant to the collection, but most ingredients are readily sourced in the UK. There are a few fish recipes, as you would expect. But it won't turn you into MoominNigella.

The cakes and puds offer the most appetising options (or that might just be me! I find that with ALL recipe books!) There are quite a few vegetarian options too (spinach rice bake, mushroom stew, potato bake) and some that will require a strong stomach (soured milk, anyone?).

There are no pictures of the food. Overall, it's perhaps more for the ardent Moomin fan than the ardent cook, but as there are far more cook books than Moomin books out there, that's no bad thing. Where else will you find "laundry day soup" or "Snufkin's picnic pot"? It would probably appeal most to a teenage Moomin fan. It's a charming book and certainly Moominmama is looking pretty healthy on this diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning book, delicious food!, 27 Sep 2010
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have just finished making and eating a three course dinner from this cookbook and it was thoroughly beautiful. The whole experience was exciting; from getting the book to pouring over the illustrations and delightful selection of quotations, from selecting what to make to sampling the end results and seeing my family's delight.

I made the pea soup, followed by Hungry Moomin's potato bake with Fisherman's summer cake for afters and warming mugs of apple grog. The recipes were generous enough for our family to have sufficient leftovers for lunch tomorrow, which is even better! The instructions are very straightforward and I had no problems at all. This book is a complete joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it already!, 26 Aug 2011
I. M. Mcdonald "ev mcd" (Neath, South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
I have only just started leafing through this little cook book and I'm delighted with it. The variety of recipes from basics to quite unusual ideas like mead made with rhubarb is fascinating. The illustrations are lovely, as is the feel of the book, I will have to be careful to keep it clean!

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable!, 31 Dec 2010
B. Jameson (Leeds) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
Suitable for both young and old!
I bought this as a christmas present for my 19 year old sister and she absoloutely loves it especially with the cute illustrations and quotes from the original books. There's loads of recipes with sweet names giving you an insight to which characters like the recipe and why they make it!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Taste of Moomin Valley, 12 Oct 2010
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
This year, the Moomins are back. They have a full length movie and a cookbook. I'm sure they have always been active in their native Finland, but now at last, we can enjoy them again in the UK.

First published in Finland in 1993, the book is now available in English for the first time. Tove Jansson (now sadly deceased) and Sami Malila have got together to create over 150 different recipes that perfectly capture the favourite dishes of many of the Moomin characters and no doubt human Finns too.

"Everything fun is good for the stomach," announces the intro page, setting the scene of happy Moomins eating together and enjoying good food.
The book's subtitle is 'An Introduction to Finnish Cuisine' and that's exactly what it brings us, traditional recipes that are produced by home cooks all over Finland - I can imagine that many are Tove Jansson's nostalgic memories of what she grew up with - comfort food.

The recipes take us from breakfast through to lunch and on to dinner with a picnic outing and garden party thrown in for good measure. Fish from the rivers and lakes, heartwarming vegetable soups, wholesome meat dishes, rib sticking savoury bakes and a myriad of puddings and cakes using forest berries and spices to keep us cosy in winter.
The book is illustrated with Tove's enchanting black and white line drawings of Moomin Valley scenes, also appropriate text extracts from the Moomin stories further embellish the recipes.

As well as the well-loved-by-Moomins pancakes (p.113), there are many recipes I'd love to try, Fish Solyanka, (p. 36) a substantial soup with an ingredients list that sounds interesting to say the least, Moominmama's Backpack Pie, (p.88) a mixture of boiled eggs, rice and salmon cooked in butter pastry sounded appetising.
As with most of the recipes, my main criticism would be that they don't tell you what size dish/tin to use or how many they serve, so I had to use my own judgement. That said, I couldn't fault the results.

This a great cookbook for those who adore Moomins and want to learn about Finnish cuisine - a definite collector's item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
Lovely book, with lots of illustrations. The recipes look fun too - lots of fruit and summer puddings. Great talking point too :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Moomins, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
This book is for a gift. Looks very good with interesting recipes in it. Also,very colourful. A very good present.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice for Moomins fans, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
Bought this as present for 2 real moomins fans it’s a nice book with good Illustrations but I think the book and recipes would only appeal to the fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
For the price this hardcover book is excellent. Lots of nice pictures of moomins doing stuff. I haven't tried many of the recipes yet, but they seem interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book for Moomin lovers, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: Moomins Cookbook (Hardcover)
Also a great little cookbook. It has wonderful and interesting recipes and is also a brilliant Moomin collectable - such fun and such good quality.

Moomins Cookbook
Moomins Cookbook by Sami Malila Tove Jansson (Hardcover - 8 July 2010)
9.09