5.0 out of 5 stars So much common sense and invaluable advice
Lara Morgan has been there, seen it and done it. She built her company, Pacific Direct, from scratch and eventually sold it for 20m. In this book she shares the lessons she learned and the benefit of her experience.

Published on 29 Jun 2011 by Andy Lopata

1.0 out of 5 stars wow
this must be one of the worst books ever written. she is clearly stuck up and irritating. 1 star out of 5.
Published on 30 July 2012 by Anon

5.0 out of 5 stars So much common sense and invaluable advice, 29 Jun 2011
Andy Lopata (Broxbourne, Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: More balls than most: Juggle your way to success with proven company shortcuts (Paperback)

It is clear that Lara is passionate about helping entrepreneurs succeed. Much of what she suggests may not be comfortable. She is an unrepentant salesperson, constantly reinforces that much of her company's success was down to the long hours worked and sacrifices made not just by her but also by members of her team. She shares some tactics which may not be the most politically correct, such as interviewing competitors' staff with no intention of offering them a job, just to get an edge in the market.

It may sometimes make uncomfortable reading, but live with it! Successful entrepreneurs do not glide their way to success and Lara shares so much valuable advice in this book. The important thing is that she shares the secrets of her success openly and honestly, leaving the reader to decide what is important and relevant to them.

Lara interweaves parts of the story of Pacific Direct's rise with the lessons she learnt from business. If I have any criticism of the book, I feel that this structure could have been stronger and more consistent. It is easy to lose the thread of the Pacific Direct story in parts. But this is not a novel, it is a practical guide to growing a successful business. And, as such, it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars About time someone wrote some sense!, 29 Jun 2011
Having read my fair share of "How I did it ..and how you can too" books, I think this is the first time I have read something that resonates so closely with the genuine experiences of building a successful business and all the challenges to be faced along the way. Its written by an entrepreneur who UNDERSTANDS that its not just a walk in the park this business malarky, but that with some simple strategies to follow, alot of common sense, and lets not forget the "balls", the rewards at the end are worth every step we take! Thanks Laura for saying how it is!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes Balls to be an Entrepreneur!, 9 Aug 2011
There are few books that I keep, re-read and share with others. This book is going to be retained in my top 10. It is at least as good as E-Myth (Revisited) and that is high praise considering the reach and impact Michael Gerber has had. For anyone who has entrepreneurial aspirations or would like to gain 'know how' with a twist of personality should buy this book.

The combination of personal experiences, self awareness and commitment to being the best they can be is always worth reading and Lara Morgan is an exceptionally straight talking woman who freely admits how her early years of success were reliant upon her drive, passion and abilities of leading by example. There were reflections of how mistakes were made, opportunities seized and people engaged with very intimate details of emotions felt and a transition of personal growth that made you feel you were really close to the journey made. This direct insight to a person's challenging life journey was inspirational enough to make the reading experience worthwhile.

I felt I was observing and listening at times to a speaker or storyteller, as I could imagine the words being said rather than read. The fluid style of conversational writing combined with the illustrative method of chapter goals, example laden narrative and summarising with the strikingly effective Lara's Laws made it a difficult book to put down.

Added to this are the undeniably forthright strategies, the intense and passionate approach that is required to be part of a dynamic business geared up to become a leading brand within a highly competitive industry that has suffered more than most over the last two decades. The warts and all approach is quite clearly intended to give the reader a choice - can I learn from, adopt and adapt these for myself or do I have what it takes to be a high growth entrepreneur and the commitment to make it happen?

On a personal level, as an aspiring entrepreneur, I will be using many of Lara's Laws to change how I focus my business operationally and have already redefined how I organise my time, which is my measure of the effectiveness of a book's message - Do I believe it relates to me and will I do something about it? I will choose this as gift for colleagues and friends though only those who I feel will take action too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful for any existing business owner, 11 May 2013
Johnny (WELLINGBOROUGH, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I think the reason this book was so helpful to me was that it seemed to be geared towards those already running businesses, compared to so many business books that seem to act as inspiration to start a new business. I think the main reason for this is that the bulk of the book - which is part autobiography and part a 'this is how you do it' instruction manual' - relates to the period of time for Lara that she had already set up her business, had been established for a few years, and still continued to grow and develop both her and her business exponentially.

The biggest lessons I took from this book included

i) never stop selling to your customer and keeping constant contact with your customer - so many business owners delegate this job too soon I think, and so Lara thinks as well.

ii) Never stop learning - Lara attended business courses when she had been in business for many years, and when she was already extremely successful. Many business owners would have thought by this stage that they 'had made it' and couldn't be taught much more than they already know.

iii) Never stop working. Lara never took it easy until she sold her business for I think 20 million (only a couple of years after having been offered just a few million - which she turned down)

iv)Retain all your equity - Lara religiously kept over 99% of the equity of the business for herself, in order that when she sold it (this was always her intention) it would all be hers and she wouldn't have to go sharing it 50/50 etc with others. She not only preaches this, but gives clear instructions on how to go about borrowing money from banks etc., as opposed to giving away equity.

Definitely a book that I will continue to dip into and refer to for many years to come!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More Balls Than Most, 18 April 2012
This is a fantastic book that gives lots of insight into building a business. I have read it once but am going to use it as a tool to go back and look at it again and again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Read, 13 Jan 2014
I really enjoyed this book, it's practical and full of advice on how to grow your business from scratch. Lara is open and shares all her learning from her experience of growing Pacific Direct. I have really gained from reading the book, in fact it gave me the courage to change the way I've been doing things.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book, 26 Oct 2013
I couldn't put this book down. A very honest account of how Lara built up a 20 million pound business from her kitchen table.

5.0 out of 5 stars the most straightalking business book ever, 29 July 2013
I have many entrepreneurs and business books and many tend to be the same with many common messages and many are written by people who have not really succeeded like Lara has and sold for 20 million. Lara books is so powerful because it is very real , she tells it exactly as it is in reality not theory .. how she was able to start from nothing and build a very successful business.
There are many practical lessons in the book and many thinks that you can apply to your own business.. It gives you ideas and inspiration. Definitely the most inspiring business book I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read it from cover to cover, 25 Jan 2013
I bought the kindle version of `More balls than most' in Oct 2011, well actually it was bizarrely free on Amazon when I got it but I had every intention of paying for it, and read it from cover to cover on a flight to Mexico City. There was so much in the book I could relate to or learn from I must have `marked up' over 60 passages which I still refer to. Thank you for sharing your insights....

5.0 out of 5 stars Mandatory reading for an entrepreneur, 10 Oct 2012
Mrs Niamh Barker (New Milton, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have read my fair share of business guides, this is the only one that I stayed awake most of a weekend to read. If you don't run a business it wont make sense (my husband couldn't understand what I was getting so excited about) If you do run a business and you could do with a big toolbox of ways to move it forward/ grow it quickly then read this book please...especially if you are retailing a product. I always think if I take away 1 thing from a meeting or a book it is worthwhile..this is a huge golden treasure chest of (& warts and all) pragmatic succinct ideas and guidance from someone who climbed the ladder...through drive passion, intelligent thinking and determination- brilliant!

More balls than most: Juggle your way to success with proven company shortcuts
11.27