on 13 June 2010
I have read many business books and when I borrowed this one from a local library I was expecting it to be just a teaser for their seminars and workshops. While Brad plugs in his seminar business, I was blown away by the quality of the content and real life examples. Being a big believer in Joint Ventures, it was particularly exciting to learn how JVs played an important role in Virgin's business development.

This book shows many important strategies needed for negotiations, raising finance, growing the business to become investor ready and all to way to developing a clear exit plan.

It is however not for people with small ambitions! If all you aim for is to have your little "lifestyle business" then you probably won't enjoy it.

I thought this was by far the best business book I ever read, so when I returned it to the local library I rushed to my Amazon account and bought my own copy. This is one of those books you definitely want to keep on your trusted shelf.

Enzo Iovine
on 8 September 2009
This was a great purchase! I am a new entrepreneur just starting out and this was really a great tool for me to consult. There are so many things you don't know when you're in the beginning stages and Brad Rosser really highlights them so you don't make the same mistakes he did. One of the better books I've come across. Highly recommend it to anyone looking for some helpful advice.
22 comments2 of 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 August 2012
Firstly, I had the pleasure of meeting Brad Rosser (and Simon) recently at an event in London. The reason I mention this first is that, having read the book and been impressed by the direct and straight talking approach, it was obvious that none of the content was bravado on hearing Brad in action. Brad has been there, seen it, done and worn the t-shirt.

Being a budding entrepreneur, it is always difficult to choose the right advice as there are a myriad of web sites and advisors to tell you how things should be done. In his book, Brad makes all that unnecessary by, quite literally, getting down to business. His structured, no nonsense approach is crafted on years of experience, backed up with successful AND unsuccessful stories which he shares so you can see how and why he made his decisions.

I have read this a couple of times now and always use the techniques when in meetings, networking or negotiating deals as they have so far worked perfectly. There is nothing more satisfying than successfully negotiating a deal, especially when you've 'jumped the learning curve queue' by using the advice in Chapter 4 - Negotiation: The Art and the Science.

All in all, this is an excellent book for the entrepreneur. I have read all the Dragon's books which, while entertaining, fail to deliver the sheer volume of advice you get here. As an investment, you cannot go wrong, as business advice goes, you only need to say Virgin to know that the business success is genuine, and last but not least, you know that you will only get straight talking from one of the most successful Aussie businessmen of the last few decades.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 November 2010
Don't believe that most entrepreneurs are brash adventurers who act without thinking, mindlessly hitching their wagons to any bold, new enterprise. It certainly is not true for serious businesspeople who succeed over the long haul. They are the brilliant strategists who think 12 moves ahead. And what are those moves? Entrepreneurial aspirants can find out by reading this rollicking good book by serial starter-upper Brad Rosser. A former McKinsey & Co. consultant, Rosser worked closely with famously successful moguls, including Sir Richard Branson (Virgin Group) and property tycoon Peter Beckwith (PMB Holdings). getAbstract finds that Rosser's smart, savvy book provides the necessary know-how to get a business up and running. Plus, he does it with his signature Aussie-style combination of bonhomie and brio.
on 22 September 2009
This is a very interesting book. I attended one of Brad's recent talks in London and was highly enthused so bought the book. It's very practical and 'bottom-up' - it shows you how to build a business in a step by step fashion covering all the basics of branding, marketing, PR and web presence amongst others.

The book also has a large number of practical examples to help describe the principles which are helpful and also interesting. Brad has a great background to draw examples from and explains some interesting insights into past business successes and failures.

A highly recommended read and a very good guide-book.
on 29 September 2013
This is among the best business books that I've read.
Brad Rosser has worked with some great entrepreneurs and as a result has acquired some great knowledge along the way.
He has also founded, developed & invested in many businesses and helped many more companies raise hundreds of millions in capital.
This is a great book for all entrepreneurs & is a great guide for developing your business.
on 22 September 2009
Brad Rosser has written a book that is both practical and inspirational. Anybody starting a new business knows the time,effort and money that can go into trying to get your idea off the ground. This book can help prevent some of the basic mistakes, but also take you out of the day to day and plan ahead effectively.
on 1 April 2011
Brad's straight talking no nonsense style is refreshing and his book has some solid, practical info that would take years (and a lot of money) to learn. This book is always close on hand and I refer to it regularly, especially when looking at new ventures. This book should be studied rather than simply read!
on 4 September 2009
I have read a lot of books about "start-ups" and entrepreneurs. Usually I am left somewhat disappointed, finding that either the book didn't really provide any concrete next steps or was simply a vanity project of the entrepreneur. I found this book to be very different.

The book is not only an enjoyable and engaging read but also provides very clear steps that can be put into action immediately. Brad clearly knows what he is talking about - being Richard Branson's former right-hand man he would have to! - but his skill is being able to communicate the insights in a really simple and compelling way. His use of real life examples (many from his days as Head of Corporate Development at Virgin) throughout the book really brought everything alive for me. I found myself reading the book with a pen and note-pad and constantly writing down ideas for my own business.

I would recommend this book to anyone who is just starting out in business (as it will help you think through your idea, get funding, and get those first sales) but also to people who have (like me) been running their own business for a few years and are looking for that next stage of growth.
33 comments2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 September 2009
Brad Rosser's story is inspiring to say the least. It is clear that this book has been carefully constructed to enable the reader to reinforce key learning's with real life case studies from some of the biggest MNC's.

As a young entrepreneur and enterprise supporter (NACUE). I have found this book invaluable and apply my learning's directly to my start up's!

I recommend this book as an essential read for any entrepreneur who wishes to learn how to become Better Stronger and Faster across all aspects of their business.
22 comments2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse