5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Sebastain, 8 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Paperback)
I have read and enjoyed all of Hazel McHaffie's Books but for me Saving Sebastian is the best yet .
I loved the way the lives of all the families involved intertwined - including the doctor's family . I was drawn in by the various characters and could empathise with their feelings and situations .
The way the clinical and scientific details about IVF and the creation of a designer baby are worked in to the story is very helpful for a lay person and I hope led me to a greater understanding . I am lost in admiration for any family dealing with these procedures for the love of a child . As ever this book is thought provoking .
All in all this is an immensely enjoyable story and a thoroughly good read - I couldn't put it down . Nor could I have predicted the conclusion which brought a lump to my throat - the sure sign of a good book !

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put down!, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Paperback)
The info on the cover compares Hazel McHaffie to Jodi Picolut, and this is a highly appropriate comparison. I'd never read anything by HM before, but had devoured pretty much JP has ever written. Like me, I'm sure you will love this if you like JP's work.

As other reviewers have mentioned, there are a lot of characters to the story, but this adds to the enjoyment rather than detracting. I also felt that the story involves people across a mixture of age groups and backgrounds, and therefore there is likely to be a character in there for each of us to identify with.

What I like about stories like this is how much you can relate to them - although, of course, you hope something similar will never happen to you. This story is also a good reminder of how nothing in life is ever black and white - we may all have our own opinions, but who are we to judge others or define what is 'right'?

I couldn't recommend this book more highly - I will certainly be looking to read more of HM's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars lots of twists, 26 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Paperback)
I often get bored with stories, but no chance with this one. There are lots of twists and turns along the way, so I was sufficiently interested and keen to find out how it unravelled. It also made me imagine how I might react in the same situations as the characters find themselves, which made it all the more fascinating to read. Worth a second read, in my opinion, and there aren't many books I put into that category!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read!, 19 April 2012
Mr. James H. Wilson "J. Hamilton Wilson" (Kenilworth, Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Paperback)
Hazel gives us yet another intriguing insight into a world few of us have access to. She really opens the mind and draws us into all the shades of possibilities, human drama, imponderables and ethical issues, while presenting them through the medium of real, warm-hearted human characters, who are fraught with the dilemmas facing them. Another good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Time flew by..., 22 April 2012
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Paperback)
I have read a good number of books dealing with topical issues (Jodi Picoult and Hazel McHaffie being the main two writers here for me) and Saving Sebastian is one of the best. You get so involved with the characters and what is happening to them that you don't notice you're thinking about your response to the dilemmas they are facing (and there are several big ones in this book), then you realise afterwards that it's made you challenge your preconceived ideas and beliefs about the area. I won't go into the ones Saving Sebastian brought up for me as that would spoil the book, but you won't have to read much to want to read more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling, 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Paperback)
At first I was frightened by the large array names/characters at the beginning of the book - I am not good at remembering who's who. But rather than fret over trying to remember all the names I continued to read in the hope that a few main characters would soon emerge. I was not disappointed; characters were identified by little snippets of information cleverly woven into the text in a number of ways as well as their names! Several time during my reading of the book (carried out over 7 days with lots of distractions between reading sessions) I found myself being reminded of the compelling image on the front cover our children are well past the stage of little Sebastian but what if it was our grandson?. Whilst the overall plot seems to portray advances in IVF is a positive light one is left with an uneasy feeling that whatever checks and balances are devised to protect scientific advances from being abused, there will always be somebody who finds a way to bypass rigorous procedures. Lastly I have to confess that I was irritated by one short sentence on page 300, namely "The silence was deafening". Far be it from me to criticize Hazel but I just thought that the context deserved better.
A thoroughly good read and worthy of a reread in my view!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 8 May 2014
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Kindle Edition)
Powerfully and well written with some thought provoking arguments included in the plot. I found it compelling reading, and felt quite involved in every situation.

5.0 out of 5 stars saviour baby, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Saving Sebastian (Kindle Edition)
food for thought fegarding a baby concieved for esentially spare parts, and then the twist about the laboratory mix up. as usual Hazel McHaffie writes about taboo subjects in a way that is both readable and unputdownable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 25 Jan. 2015
Intresting book

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Jan. 2015
Brilliant book

Saving Sebastian
Saving Sebastian by Hazel McHaffie (Paperback - 20 Jan. 2012)