5.0 out of 5 stars My first graphic novel!
Published on 13 Sep 2010 by Richard

1.0 out of 5 stars A comic!
Thought I was buying the classic novel by H G Wells......what I received was a comic! However, full refund offered by Amazon.
Published 14 months ago by Steveosnapper

5.0 out of 5 stars My first graphic novel!, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
I got my first Classics Illustrated copy of 'The War of the Worlds' when I was six years old, in the 1960's. At the time, I considered it to be a 'comic book', but in modern terms it is a graphic novel in the truest sense of the word. The narrative is lifted directly from the original book and I remember struggling with some of the words at age six. At any rate, I'm sure I was captivated by the amazing artwork.

Everything in this reprint is exactly as I remember. Well, not exactly -- the paper stock is better and the colors are deeper and more vivid. I reread the original 'War of the Worlds' a couple of years ago. This Classics Illustrated version does a surprisingly effective job of capturing the essence of Wells' book. Although I purchased this strictly for the nostalgia, this is a wonderfully executed graphic novel that stands on it's own merits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classics for the kids., 12 Jun 2012
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
Our young nephew is a real Sci-Fi enthusiast.
I tried to get him to read The war of the world in its original form but he found it a bit "heavy going".
I bought this for him and he read it in an afternoon.
Lovely illustrations, well written, He loved it.
This series of books is an ideal way to introduce kids to quality literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to War of the Worlds, 29 Oct 2011
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
I bought this book for my nine year old son who has a reading level of two years older. I wanted to introduce him to War of the Worlds and I felt this graphic novel style book would be the best option - I was not disappointed. My son loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT INTRODUCTION TO THE CLASSICS!, 15 April 2013
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
Great book to introduce younger children to a classic. Really got the children's imaginations and creative skill going. I would recommend this for teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars war of the worlds illustrated, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
The kuds are well into War of the Worlds so brought them this as their first book and it went down really well. Excellent well presented good quality. Brilliant

4.0 out of 5 stars A diiferent War., 17 Dec 2012
B. Crossland "Bazza" (Warrington UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
Long before Jeff Wayne's musical Martian take over bid, there was this, the Classics version.
I first picked it up from a bookstall at Eccles station in 1959, I was 11 and had shied away from reading anything remotely resembling a 'classic'. I regularly read the Eagle and Dan Dare.
The cover hooked me first I think. Tripod monsters from space in bright colours invading earth, and almost setting up shop here until they caught the flu'.
I wouldn't say it launched me into a life of reading fiction, but it was an introduction into the wonderful world of books.
Within a year I'd bought the full length H G Wells book, then 'The Time Machine' .
I'm always reading, in the bath, whilst half watching dreadful day time 'tele', just anywhere, and maybe I owe it all to this brilliantly produced comic.
It's new re-emergence is much as I remember it, a little smaller, or am I a little larger?
Hey all you nostalgists, go and buy this and read behind the bike sheds, with a 'Woody' hidden in your fist.
Go on.

5.0 out of 5 stars "...this world was being watched keenly and closely...", 9 May 2010
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
We are in 1898 England. Yep we see something happening on the surface of Mars. Later what looks like a meteor comes to earth. Once we realize the significant of the situation (or think we do) Different people approach the situation in different ways. The true story is how the different people meet the situation.

Many people want to equate this story with real potential invasions others as the bad guys vs. the good guys. However from the very first we see that they are the greater (more evolved) intelligence and we are the equivalent of vermin or the ants that are being held under the magnifying glass. From our point of view they seem like cruel creatures, from theirs is indifference. Their way of consuming nourishment is appalling yet look at what and how we eat.

The writing its self is of the time in which Wells lived so the descriptions of our world may seem a little alien to today's younger readers. However, the suspense is still there and the story will hold their attention.

Do not miss the 1953 movie. Even thought it adds more religious overtones it is still pretty much the same story with similar characters. Of course, this one names the narrator and adds a love interest.

The War of the Worlds (Special Collector's Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool read!, 22 Feb 2009
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
A series not to be missed! I remember these from my youth and am delighted to see them hitting the shelves once more - now enhanced to fabulous quality! I do hope they re-issue some of the old favourites - Ben-Hur, Don Quixote, Robinson Crusoe...too many to mention! Wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 8 Feb 2009
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
A fantastic representation of one of the true sci-fi classics! Brilliantly drawn with vivid colours and adapted to suit the younger audience. A great way of getting the kids interested in true literature...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab!, 15 Jan 2009
M. P. Baldock "Book Bully" (Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) (Paperback)
This is a fab version of a great book. My sister has seen my copy and is presently trying to convince the Headmaster at her Swiss foreign student school to use them next year! Also my 2 young nephews are presently enthrawled and loving it. Who'd have thought they would love HG Wells?

The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated)
The War of the Worlds (Classics Illustrated) by H. G. Wells (Paperback - 1 Sep 2008)
4.99
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available