5.0 out of 5 stars A class act
Published on 1 July 2010 by Too Techie

3.0 out of 5 stars An introduction to the world of stand up
Published on 25 Sept. 2010 by 7622jon

5.0 out of 5 stars A class act, 1 July 2010
This review is from: Where Do Comedians Go When They Die?: Journeys of a Stand-up (Hardcover)
This book was written to make you laugh, which I did from start to finish. There were times when I thought it autobiographical (did you really do that in prison Milton?), though as an autobiography the author couldn't have been so rude, and maybe not as funny. The first half he's starting out in stand-up and its laugh out loud, with loads of material and tons of gags, I was reading thinking "what a treat". By the second half characters have been developed and it becomes a bit like a sit-com; more Frasier than Friends. He deals with family, tragedy, and his own torment, all the while interjecting with scenarios developed with believable characters then an unexpected perspective relieves the tension and humour is restored. I was left thinking he's better looking than me, drives a better car than me, and has got a cat called Jess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpectedly brilliant, 12 Aug. 2013
IT User and Abuser (Sittingbourne, Kent) - See all my reviews
I stumbled upon this by mistake , I am glad I did. it is a fascinating and un-put-downable description of the life of a stand up comic. All I knew about Milton Jones is that he does one-liners and has messy hair. I know know he is also a fine writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars An amusing and well-constructed tale, 27 Jan. 2013
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
Comedian Milton Jones is famous for his one-liners on TV programmes such as Mock The Week, but in this novel he presents a good mix or humour and plot as he tells the tale of not-unfamiliar comedian Jerome Stevens through ten years of his life.

I really like the style of the narrative, alternating between the character reflecting on his immediate past during his journeys between and after various gigs and his situation at the end of the ten-year time span. It's an interesting way to tell a story that is essentially the characters inner monologue without it reading like continual exposition.

The humour is perhaps a little lighter than I was expecting, and a lot of it plays in ironically as Stevens considers ideas for his routines, but overall I enjoyed reading it and would probably read more from Jones if he chooses to write a follow-up novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars An introduction to the world of stand up, 25 Sept. 2010
Milton Jones has a stand up act that is different from most, and he takes us on a similar tour in this book. Written with inside knowledge of the world of stand up comedians, it is a book you can read, put down, and read again without losing any of the plot - because there isn't one. It's readable, but I feel Milton has a true novel in him somewhere, and I believe a comedy thriller should be his next move. Great as a stand up - but work in progress as a writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 5 April 2013
I have enjoyed this book, i wonder if some of it wasnt semi-autobiographical regarding his views and experiences in standup. The book arrived quickly and in good condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and enlightening, 14 Feb. 2013
As a fan of Milton Jones I was pleased to find this book and enjoyed it. It is an amusing and interesting account of the trials and triumphs of a stand up comedian, probably not a typical one however and possibly not autobiographical. Not laugh out loud funny but highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't expects a laugh a minute, 13 Dec. 2012
This is a remarkably honest and realistic tale taking a guy from being amusing to becoming a star. Whilst this is happening, the rest of the world turns and you get the full context behind what is happening to the "hero". At times it is funny, at others it is very sad. An excellent read, and a tale that will stay with me

5.0 out of 5 stars Way with words, 4 Nov. 2012
This book shows that Milton Jones has a real way with words both spoken and written.Wonderful discriptions that really make you think and wonder why you didn't think of it first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, with a nice insight into what it is like being a stand-up, 1 Sept. 2012
Mark Pack (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Milton Jones's Where Do Comedians Go When They Die? first came out in 2009 and has been re-released this year courtesy of the new Robson Press imprint run by Biteback. A good thing too, as it's a very funny book which also gives a great insight into the life of a stand-up comedian.

It is not really autobiographical; as the author says at the start "All the events happened either to me, someone I know or someone I've completely made up". Freed from that need to accurately reflect one person's life, the book weaves about through so many events that it gives a much better feel for the professional of stand up comedian overall, as well as leaving the reader relieved that no one poor soul has been through quite all the events told.

The narrative is rather choppy - lots of short scenes, jumping back and forth between different story threads. That could be confusing, but instead is done so well it helps keep up the pace and interest, as well as reflecting the magpie like jumping from idea to idea that epitomises many stand-ups.

Far more importantly, the book is simply very funny, with the quips and puns supported by a cast of rounded characters who are substantial enough to make scenes without jokes sill enjoyable to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Glad I borrowed this from the library..., 27 Mar. 2014
M. Allen (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Milton Jones. A very funny guy and a modern day master of the dead-pan one-liner as a stand up comedian. I really enjoy his comedy performances, but as an author, not really. His stage style simply doesn't translate into print.

The book, although nicely written overall, has no real plot other than loosely following the career of a fictional (perhaps autobiographical?) comedian character. It jumps all over the place and the only thread that seems consistent is the Chinese Prison chapters which are very often barely a page. There's not a huge amount of "laugh out loud" humour either.

To be fair, Milton does warn of this in the preface, but I guess the extent of the lack of plot and hap hazard content wasn't really evident in this warning.

Perhaps I'm being a bit generous with the three stars but I only got a third of the way through before giving up and returning it to the library as I wasn't prepared to waste any more time reading it. I'd give his other books a try in future though, in case this book was just a "blip".

Where Do Comedians Go When They Die?: Journeys of a Stand-up
Where Do Comedians Go When They Die?: Journeys of a Stand-up by Milton Jones (Hardcover - 25 Oct. 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01