5.0 out of 5 stars Encounters with Mrs. Bertram, 2 April 2010
This review is from: An Arrangement of Atoms (Paperback)
Despite being highly recommended, I approached this novel with a degree of hesitancy....."An Arrangement of Atoms"sounded too much like school physics-for me, a closed door.And as for Science fiction..not even Iain Banks can draw me into the genre!
I need not have worried. The story line drew me in:....intriguing, clever,and novel, but above all I wanted to know what happened next.As for Joanne, herself,..instant recognition and identification.Her journey led me to explore and question my own relationships, emotions and motivations.Where are you now, Mrs. Bertram?
I am so glad I overcame my initial reluctance and "re-arranged my own atoms".I read the novel and thoroughly enjoyed it! So will you!

5.0 out of 5 stars An articulate new voice in fiction, 21 Feb 2010
M. W. Potts - See all my reviews
This review is from: An Arrangement of Atoms (Paperback)
The shelves in most books shops are groaning with books of self-discovery usually involving a literal journey to India / Southern France / remote Hebredian island ( feel free to fill in your own suggestions here ), followed by the metaphorical bit. Jackie Hill's novel really is different. Joanne, mother, wife, human being and weighed down by the sort of anxieties we have all experienced, embarks on a different voyage that borrows from science fiction, but is not burdened with all the techno-jargon that usually accompanies such writing. Hill beautifully creates both a gripping inner monologue that reveals Joanne's story and a fully imagined world with different rules. To explain too much would spoil the pleasure of discovering all this for yourself. Suffice it to say that this brilliantly constructed first novel announces the arrival of a new voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrangement of Atoms could not put it down, 13 Mar 2011
This review is from: An Arrangement of Atoms (Paperback)
Great read, was looking forward to bedtime so i could read it, really related to the book, its not usually my kind of thing but it was really enjoyable cheers Jackie

5.0 out of 5 stars Great novel from a great Counsellor, 15 July 2010
This review is from: An Arrangement of Atoms (Paperback)
A very different take on self-discovery which whisked me away from my own worries and anxieties and then slowing tempted me back to do some self-exploration.
The science fiction imaginary elements are not only largely possible but many of the places, people and experiences you are taken to are embedded within us.

If you feel you don't need to explore yourself, you can explore the galaxies instead but whatever your journey I'm fairly certain you will recognise Mrs Bartran, the smell of hymnbooks, Ne'ash and Ngruff!

Did Joanne make the journey or not? Has she returned home? Is that even an option?
It really is up to you.

Thanks Jackie - Mick H
Waiting eagerly for your next read.

An Arrangement of Atoms
An Arrangement of Atoms by Jackie Hill (Paperback - 9 Nov 2009)