5.0 out of 5 stars A Heartbreaking, Character-Driven Apocalypse Novel
I've been on a real indie book bender lately. There's something refreshing about small press novels that I really enjoy, be it the DIY spirit of the venture in general or the groundbreaking ideas that the books themselves contain. I think one of the things that grabs me the most about the small press world is the sheer amount of heart and dedication that go into the...
Published on 28 Oct 2009 by Jessica Brown

1.0 out of 5 stars Drop Dead Disappointment
I had read Wayne Simmons' book, 'Flu', and this was a fast-paced and exiting, classic Zombie tale. Unfortunately 'Drop Dead Gorgeous' does not live up to expectations after reading 'Flu' at all. Most of the book bar 20 pages tell a good story of the characters but it is very drawn out with description of the state of the calm before the storm as it were. The last 20...
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by Avidly Reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 14 Mar 2014
Gems (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
I love apocalypses and end of the world type stuff... Like The Walking Dead or I Am Legend. So I enjoyed reading this book, along with the sequel Doll Parts.

3.0 out of 5 stars Post Apocalyptic., 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
I like Wayne Simmons books and if this one had ended after 240 pages this would have received 5 stars, an odd end (although it clearly sets up a second book) left me scratching my head and feeling unsatisfied. That being said I bought the next book, the guy has a great writing style and captures post apocalyptic life brilliantly.

4.0 out of 5 stars A motley collection of individuals in the Greater Belfast Area, in a (zombie) apocalypse, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
A motley collection of individuals are going about their lives in the Greater Belfast Area, Norn Iron, when suddenly 99.9% of the population drops dead! This is an unexplained phenomenon, similar to The Happening , but it allows for a Survivors -style post-Apocalyptic survival story set in Northern Ireland.

The book is well-written, with strongly drawn characters.
The story is sold as being a zombie Apocalypse, but the undead only rise during the third section of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Read something else, 19 May 2013
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
It's expensive and does not warrant the price tag. Here's why - one thing I found extremely annoying is that it is never explained why most people die and what's stupid is how no one bothers to bury the bodies. Also, it's a little gruesome that the tattoo artist tattoos a dead body and decides to finish the job. Don't worry, it's near the start of the book so it's not much of a spoiler. I found the story got boring very quickly and you swap between so many characters and their scenarios that you lose track of who's who (I always struggle when there are more than six main characters) and you have the impression that the writer doesn't care about any of his characters. One way or another, most of them deserve to have a hard time. The reason I bought this, despite a couple of negative reviews, was that it looked nice and I liked the plot line but why not explain why everyone drops dead? It's the one thing that should be dealt with and should not go ignored.

*Spoilers - but I suggest you read anyway

Additionally, there is no reason why only female zombies awake and the men just decay. What's also too unrealistic is the fact that every zombie is a beauty. The average woman is a size 11 and most women are not absolutely gorgeous. The writer should have portrayed a variety of dead women. I also disliked the idea of their eyes changing colour like a roulette wheel. At first, what was good was that they were killing guilty people, which was clever but even then the writer took that away and his zombies starting attacking the innocent. The book is also very predictable, because the second a Preacher is introduced I thought 'he's going to be a bad guy' and he was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gory and Gritty, 1 Jan 2013
Kat (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
From the moment I started listening to Drop Dead Gorgeous, I was hooked. Apart from the fact that the story moves along at a good pace, the narration was so good AND with an Irish accent (despite intensive Googling and stalking I cannot find out if the narrator actually is Irish) the scene was perfectly set for an intense post-apocalyptic zombie story.

There is a large cast of characters, some of which don't make it to the end of the book, plus flashes of characters that don't play a pivotal part of the story. One that particularly sticks in my mind is the man who was in hospital at the time of the event - with no one to care for him, and being unable to move he slowly, and very painfully dies in his bed.

Of the characters that do play a big part in the book, the star of the show, tattoo artist Star is fantastically hard-core - with a murky past, a passion for tattooing and an up-yours kind of attitude, I thought she was an awesome main character.

But Drop Dead Gorgeous is more than just a blood-bathed zombie story - there's also two characters who should, and mostly do, hate each other with a burning passion - Mairead and Roy. I loved their dynamic, and their ability to come together and almost put their differences on the back-burner made for a unique twist.

Drop Dead Gorgeous moves at a fast pace, even during 'down periods' of establishing survivor communities and the flashes between one group and another are done well for the most part, although at times it was a little jolting. It's always harder to tell in an audiobook when the scene is going to switch, so I would think in the print version this isn't so much of an issue.

The ending did feel a little bit rushed after the long build up, but it was exactly what I want in a zombie novel - gory, gritty and more than a little bit shocking.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't have to be from Norn Iron to enjoy this book, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
I happen to have lived and grown up in Northern Ireland (Norn Iron) and so this added an extra layer of enjoyment for me as I followed characters whose environment, motivations and life experiences are very familiar to me. If you are from Norn Iron you simply MUST buy and read this book; support a local author and experience the zombie apocalypse in your own capital city - cracker. For those of you who are not from Northern Ireland; buy and read this book anyway as I do believe it is an excellent piece of fiction and would urge anyone to read it. Oh yes and come to Belfast and visit the featured tattoo parlour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop Dead Stunning, 29 Dec 2011
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
I'd reached a place in my reading of this genre where nothing but nothing could top Justin Cronin's "Passage". Before you protest at my blurring the loosely-said "genre" (I do realize that DDG is zombie and Passage is vampire), but it doesn't matter really, when the main thrust of the prose calls the reader to question "what would I do?", and that is why I couldn't get enough of Wayne's novel. It's prenatal post-apocalypse, and we never get to find out why the event happened, and that in itself would normally irritate me beyond all reason. The last of this genre I read and didn't mind not knowing, was "The Handmaid's Tale", Margaret Atwood. But Wayne's writing, his capture of character, the humour, and the poetry of the prose, is such that I did not mind one bit. In fact, I read it in one sitting (alas, publisher, do you know that the spine on this novel simply will not break?), mesmerized. Even with one spoon stirring the soup and dazedly marshalling my family around. Mesmeric. I think it's great that DDG is set in Ireland, in Belfast, actually. Coming from Manchester, I could see how the characters do what they did in that huge urban sprawl. Ingeniously, the writer includes a vast cast of characters, and you're never sure whose going to survive. And I won't tell you, no spoilers here. Only to say perhaps that there are some very moving, beautifully written demises. Since finishing the book, I've been checking my longbow out, making sure I have enough arrows, and wondering where the nearest outdoor sports shop is .. ah, yes, not quite apocalypse yet, but if, just if, I think I have a better idea of what human nature can and will do when bad goes from simply bad to bloody terrifying. This isn't a novel to scare, but one that made me reflect deeply on what might happen when people come up against the very worst of all things. Who are we really, beneath the veneer? One criticism is that it was too short. More, please, Mr Simmons.

4.0 out of 5 stars Drop Dead Slightly dissapointed, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
As an avid devourer of apocalyptic fiction I purchased DDG on the strength of the reviews on this page. In the main I wasn`t dissapointed, the book is well written, punchy but savage and fluid enough to not want to put it down for too long. For me however, although forewarned that the action happened right at the end of the book I didn`t expect it to be in the last 20 or so pages. I was left feeling that maybe the grand finale was hurried to meet a deadline and would have benefited with at least another chapter. Enjoyable nonetheless.

5.0 out of 5 stars drop dead and then come back after a bit, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
It's never fully explained why people drop down dead in this book. There's no time spent with a secret government project or asteroid or any other hokum reason.The majority of people out one Sunday just keel over and die. Of course, some would say that there's never a good time to die but dying whilst driving a car when your passenger doesn't die and has to feebly attempt to wrestle the car from your cold dead hands seems especially cruel...and morbidly funny as the scene in the book is written and this is just the beginning.
The book is split into three parts. Part one deals with the actual event of 99.9% of people dropping dead. The second part bands together the disperate survivors in Belfast some of whom are forced together with mounting unease and deadly tension boiling underneath as the survivors differ in opinions regarding religion,lifestyle and how to survive in this new world. The third part deals with the question some of the characters have as in why some of the corpses still appear fresh as a daisy even after weeks in the sun and rain. You,like them, will find out sure enough.
I enjoyed this book for many reasons. It's funny,it's scary, it's gross and nasty in some places but what the author does well is recognize the conventions of the apocolypse/zombie trend and tries to buck them.I kept waiting for some muscle bound military hero to save the day because that's what mostly happens in stories like this one but this book doesn't work that way.All of the characters are great,deeply well written and believable. Instead of trying to find fresh food and water some get drunk and eat chocolate because it's just easier that way.Some can't deal with it at all and go mad with grief for the ones they've lost. Some try to take over,be boss, some hide away.Maybe this book is more realistic in a sense or maybe the author is more imaginative then most, either way this is a great book which is fun to read. Give it a go if you can. Thank you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well thought out and entertaining!, 16 Sep 2011
This review is from: Drop Dead Gorgeous (Paperback)
Having read Flu the previous book by the same author..which I enjoyed but found slightly confusing and slightly lacking,I started "Drop Dead Gorgeous" with an open mind..hoping it would be a slight improvement!
It was..for some reason I was under the illusion that Wayne Simmons-the author- was American(not sure why) but the fact that he sets this novel in his homeplace of Ireland--a country and people he is familiar with makes the length of time given to developing the characters interesting,true as said in other reviews there is no reanimation until the latter third but the book is an interesting accurate observation of the survivors reaction to a whole new upside-down world..He has an intersting writing style ,it's modern,unpretentious and a pleasure,what is spoken is what should be said,sometimes amusing! The descriptions are great and the whole novel gives the impression of a story with interconnecting threads that the author has taken the time to plot properly..a pleasure to read and I will be reading what he chooses to write next and be looking forward to it!!

Drop Dead Gorgeous
Drop Dead Gorgeous by Wayne Simmons (Paperback - 2 Feb 2011)