5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary, captivating and real
Published on 9 Feb 2011 by Gynae doc

3.0 out of 5 stars Good short read
Good concept. Made for interesting reading but gets old quickly. Many reviewers mentioned the sparkling interchange and I didn't think the conversation was great. Also, the new trend to Leave books hanging to ensure sequels is irritating.
Published 12 months ago by Aram

5.0 out of 5 stars Contemporary, captivating and real, 9 Feb 2011
This review is from: Love Virtually (Hardcover)
This was an unexpected gem. The book is totally absorbing, a great release for the few hours it took to devour it. Originally a hit in German, the two British translators have perfected the nature of the relationship, with wit and sensitivity. I absolutely identified with the way the characters developed their tortuous dialogue - as will any reader who has experienced the frisson allowed by internet communication.
Recommended reading. Bound to be a best seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars Virtually perfect, 10 Feb 2011
Ann Fairweather (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Love Virtually (Hardcover)
This is a book very difficult to review without spoiling the ending for anyone, because if I say only one word about how the book left me at the end, that will be a give-away ! So it is a little tricky because yes, I did massively enjoy this book and think it is a great read but grrr also so frustrating !!!
At first I thought the idea of a novel in e-mail form was a little gimmicky and was reluctant to start. But start I did and got nearly instantly hooked. First because reading short e-mails is easy but above all because of the quality of the conversation between the two characters. It flows incredibly well and feels very close to anything that could very well happen to anyone. Who has not dreamed of the perfect virtual 'one', the one you can tell it all because he/she is so clever everything is received, read and understood ? The one that always has the answer and mostly, the one who is always available to answer when real people let you down. So yes, I totally believed in the premise of the story, found it at first intriguing and then as the conversation accelerates, simply riveting. 'Will they ever meet' was my constant wonder...Yes Emmi is a modern online madame Bovary and I can also see the film coming out of such a story...Many books have been written in the form of letters. Why not e-mails ? who write letters today ? It had to be e-mails. But it does not in any way diminish the quality of the writing. Of the translation too. Quite the opposite, I felt precisely because it is in e-mail form, the quality is integral to our reading of the book. Anything less well put and we'd abandon quickly as boring. And this is definitely not at any point ! A great story if you can sustain the suspens till the end !

5.0 out of 5 stars love story actually, 10 Feb 2011
This review is from: Love Virtually (Hardcover)
I really loved this book. The simple but original idea was what brought me to it...a totally virtual love affair. I felt quite quickly that the idea alone would not carry me through the whole book and it did not need to. The characters emerge through their purely written reaction to the other, in a real and often very comic way. In this very different format with email as exchange as the only dialogue, Glatauer manages to keep the flow brilliantly and often leaves us in suspense and hope for the blossoming relationship. I felt that this love affair could have happened to anyone but was struck again and again by the quality of their intelligent and emotionally rich conversation, which they could not have had face to face where the immediacy of reaction would have been required. I am a bloke and don't read love stories but I quickly felt flirted with by Emmi and could not put the book down....hoping romantically that the characters meet! Five stars right there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, quick read, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Love Virtually (Kindle Edition)
An appealing and addictive storyline of 'love' that anyone of us could fall in today's world of email. Cant wait for the next installment on the kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars You've Got Mail!, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Love Virtually (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. It has been translated into English from its original German format. The Author has presented a fresh approach to a love story for the 21st Century. It makes a change from two lovers eyes meeting accross a crowded room etc ... It's humourous, interesting and frustrating (but in a good way). It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that something like this could happen. I will be interested to read the follow on from this novel when it hits the shelves early next year. I also believe that it has been adapted into a radio play and I would be most interested in listening to this also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 10 Jun 2012
This review is from: Love Virtually (Hardcover)
I picked up this book in an airport book store, feeling in the mood for a love story. It turned out that the book was a total gem, so much so that I couldn't put it down, reading it cover to cover in 3 hours... the best way to pass a lonely flight.

The book itself was leaves you wanting more, without the promise of a sequel you could be forgiven for despairing at the way the book ends, slightly unexpected and totally devastating. This book is escapism at its best, a true love story with a difference.

A definite read if you are looking for something a little different to pass a few hours.

I will definitely be looking for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Virtually, 20 May 2012
This review is from: Love Virtually (Hardcover)
Wonderful read of other people's emails so much so that I could not put it down. Have just ordered its sequel due out in a few months as I long to know what happens to the elovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars half heard on the radio, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: Love Virtually (Hardcover)
This was the afternoon play on radio 4 but I only heard the first 15 minutes . I was hooked.Bought the book for my Sister's birthday and she loves it ,being a bit of an old romantic.She skipped to the end to see whether they meet but I stuck my fingers in my ears before she could tell me.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUST read., 19 Aug 2012
Carolyn (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Virtually (Paperback)
This book was so enjoyable and I literally could not put it down. I was experiencing a little bit of a heartbreak myself and this book was great. Really distracted me and after reading Emmi and Leo's situation it made me feel a little better about my own situation..

Definitely adding to my list of favourites and I can't wait for the sequel :)

4.0 out of 5 stars An intelligent easy-read - recommended!, 7 May 2013
This review is from: Love Virtually (Kindle Edition)
What I first thought was an attempt to creating a chick lit by a middle-aged Austrian journalist (and he is a man!) turned out to be an amazing acquisition. I felt captivated within the first chapters and did not want "Love Virtually" to end (and, thankfully, there is a sequel - check out Every Seventh Wave).

The book is totally absorbing, smart, funny, engaging, tongue in cheek, unusual yet somehow real. Both the hero and the heroine (and even the smaller characters, like husband and a female friend of one of the main characters) are created with care and much thought, and they are a pleasure to get to know.

It is utterly enjoyable to lose yourself for an evening (I guarantee if you have a chance you will try to finish this in one sitting!) in this intelligent and masterfully executed contempopary easy-read.

More translations of Daniel Glattauer's works should be published in the English language. Please.

P.S. I praise Amazon's Kindle Deal of the Day. More often then not, the books on offer tend to disappoint, or I never have time to actually get to reading them (simple calculation - 365 books a year makes a scarily huge library!), but with this little gem Amazon made me proud.

ARRAY(0xafa429a8)

Love Virtually
Love Virtually by Daniel Glattauer (Hardcover - 3 Feb 2011)
7.99