Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on 6 December 2009
I was introduced to this book at a time when my interest in Sherlock Holmes has been peeked once again - and this is nothing short of by a fan for the fans parody.

Starting with an excellent and incredibly faithful comdey take on "hound of the baskevilles" (my personal favourite holmes story) the book takes us on an incredibly funny version of the holmes adventures which reads in such a way that you'll be lost in the imagery and have to stop and refocus to remember your reading a book and not watching a film (which this seems to be perfectly suited to).

I've read through this thing in a matter of hours and I've already re-read it twice finding something else to laugh at that I missed first time around so no matter if you are a Holmes fan or not, this is an incredibly funny read and a must have.
on 28 February 2011
I was sent this book to review. I didn't know what to expect but I have to say I read it pretty much in one weekend - that's always the mark of decent book.

The volume is actually a set of self-contained short stories, each with its own tale of mystery. I'm a big fan of books which are easy to read and this one is well-laid out.

The phrase `laugh out loud' is used a lot on Amazon and for me, this one really is laugh out loud. There is much toilet humour so if you're not a fan - steer clear. On some of the one star reviews here, personally, I think they are rather unfair as this book is well-produced and written. Saying that, there is also a lot of clever humour in there as well - if you like Blackadder, you love this.

The stories are well-crafted. I won't give too much away but the title story sees Holmes and Watson on the trail of a terrifying pair of other-worldly bloomers. If ghostly underwear or mysterious odours fill you with horror - then you are in the right place. As mentioned, the style and flow of the stories is very comfortable and I haven't laughed as much at stories for a long time.

Many of the reviewers have over-looked that it is full of funny illustrations which really add to the book.

Now, I am not a fan of simple mash ups but I think Wood has offered us something different here. He's completely re-worked stories and the books are a really hilarious read. You can't help thinking how they would be as short films or cartoons.

My advice - forget the worries of the world and get lost in Wood's world of scary pants.
on 7 March 2009
This is one of those books that make you laugh out loud. The style is close to the original stories, apart from all the bizarre things going on. The humour here covers a broad range, varying from sophisticated literary parody to the downright ridiculous.

It also uses some of the original Holmes illustrations, but puts a bizarre twist on them with some great captions. Great entertainment - well worth getting.
on 12 May 2010
Just do yourself a favour, and go and buy this totally original and very funny book. When you think of some of the crap out there, it's a disgrace that books like this don't get bigger publicity. Hopefully Wood is working on more of this genre. he is masterful.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 December 2009
If the idea of traditional Sherlock Holmes tales gives you a case of 'pipes and slippers' (no offence to any one that either smokes, wears or plays any of the above, or all), think again!
Can a male do more than one thing at once? emh ....Well Chris Wood appears to have done with this book.

Chris Wood turns the traditional on its head. More like being on a roller coaster and feeling that 'rush' of adrenalin.

Modern, witty and extremely funny, blows away the cobwebs in one fell swoop (thankfully for Mrs Hudson) well in six tales to be precise. Now obviously Mrs Hudson was not a feminist, pity if she were Sherlock would never have got away with some of his escapades 'Dirty Underpants' being one. Yet, maybe without her the mysteries, well who knows?

Now Professor Moriarity, I remember him from the old black and white Sherlock Holmes films. You would hear his voice, but never have I seen him until now on page 130. He looks more like he is doing a 'monkey' impression, sorry about that Professor M.

There are quite a few fun, pun pictures though that may bring a tear of laughter or two to your eyes.

Were the pair really into 'uniforms?' my lips are sealed on this, but see page 70 for more!)

6 Tales of his less famous exploits, all equally funny and mysterious as the next.

Read these and you may well look at Chris Wood again!
on 24 May 2010
Absolutely hilarious. From start to finish, you will be grinning with delight and wondering where the hell this guy has been all this time. There has to be a sequel of Holmes's book being planned by Wood. if not, I want to know why. If you know someone feeling down or in hospital, forget the grapes - bring Wood!
on 29 July 2009
My wife kept me awake, laughing uproariously reading this book late into the night, so I read it myself. I saw what the fuss was about; hilarously phrased, madcap plots, Holmes and Watson lampooned mercilessly but lovingly.

It worked both for me (who loves the old classic novels) and my wife who thinks that Holmes really wore a deerstalker!

Perfect present for a literary pal or someone who you think would really benefit from a couple of hours of belly laughs.
on 29 August 2010
Chris Wood has taken one of the classics and brought it a new perspective. Where others have tried to lampoon, pastiche or just plain ridicule the characters of Holmes, Watson et al. the author has delved deeply within the folds of Doyle's writing to bring hilarity, wit and wizened parody whilst keeping the faith of the original narratives.

There is a laugh out loud moment on almost every other line and the humour maintains high standards of depravity with a tongue thrust so deeply in the cheek that it threatens to burst through.

With a close eye on the original short stories there is something for the fan of Holmes and those new to the stories; so whilst it is a boon to those of us who adore the nefarious of Old London Town and the fantastically overblown characterisation of the dynamic duo of detection it would also be a satisfyingly gut busting read for the novice.

Woods does not simply depend on storylines gone by but creates a genuinely new perspective. Excellent and recommended for anyone with a sense of fun, humour and the ability to realise that laughter is the very best remedy for all ills.
on 29 April 2009
In these days of doom and gloom, an evening spent with this little book will restore your spirits. I was 'banished' from the lounge for repeatedly laughing outloud whilst other family members were absorbed with Eastenders. Now they are queuing up to read it! I would say it it Spike Milligan humour but you can judge for yourself by using Amazons brilliant "Look Inside" facility. Funniest book I've read for ages - hope Chris Wood writes more!
on 8 March 2009
Comedic writing at its best. I enjoyed this a great deal and laughed at it more than I have at most books, but then I usually read serious books. I had this recommended by a friend and really enjoyed it. There's lots of daft ideas, which are very funny, and also a great take on Holmes and Watson's relationship. Top stuff.