5.0 out of 5 stars Get Lost in a World of Scary Pants
I was sent this book to review. I didn't know what to expect but I have to say I read it pretty much in one weekend - that's always the mark of decent book.

The volume is actually a set of self-contained short stories, each with its own tale of mystery. I'm a big fan of books which are easy to read and this one is well-laid out.

The phrase `laugh out...
Published on 28 Feb. 2011 by Sean T. Page

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected better
With a four star average review I expected more from this book.

First the good bits. I found a couple of genuinely funny moments. On occasion I wanted to turn the page just to find out what happened. The original Sherlock Holmes pictures with funny titles are good.

Published 23 months ago by Mr. G. O. Roberts

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Expected better, 24 Jun. 2013
Mr. G. O. Roberts "gilesroberts" (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
With a four star average review I expected more from this book.

Second the bad bits. I found the humour to be very uneven and crass. If you enjoy the worst bits of the comic Viz you might enjoy this. The spelling and grammatical errors are too numerous to mention. They really detracted from my enjoyment of the story as I found myself slipping out of reading mode and into error correction mode. There are occasional bits of incoherence in the stories, where I found myself rereading the previous paragraph to see if I had missed something. I never did miss anything. The next paragraph had simply made a subject change without any context hints or didn't make sense in light of what had been said previously.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible rubbish, 2 Nov. 2009
C. Aldridge "book worm" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
I can only assume this is a vanity publication. I went to the website and saw that they don't seem to have any books that aren't by this author.

This book is just terrible. It's like a parody by a semi-literate teenager. I love funny books and I'm always looking for a new one, but this isn't it.

Honestly, it's become too easy for people to publish books and get them out there, if this is all it takes.

Avoid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Lost in a World of Scary Pants, 28 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)

The phrase `laugh out loud' is used a lot on Amazon and for me, this one really is laugh out loud. There is much toilet humour so if you're not a fan - steer clear. On some of the one star reviews here, personally, I think they are rather unfair as this book is well-produced and written. Saying that, there is also a lot of clever humour in there as well - if you like Blackadder, you love this.

The stories are well-crafted. I won't give too much away but the title story sees Holmes and Watson on the trail of a terrifying pair of other-worldly bloomers. If ghostly underwear or mysterious odours fill you with horror - then you are in the right place. As mentioned, the style and flow of the stories is very comfortable and I haven't laughed as much at stories for a long time.

Many of the reviewers have over-looked that it is full of funny illustrations which really add to the book.

Now, I am not a fan of simple mash ups but I think Wood has offered us something different here. He's completely re-worked stories and the books are a really hilarious read. You can't help thinking how they would be as short films or cartoons.

My advice - forget the worries of the world and get lost in Wood's world of scary pants.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants of Death, 19 Jun. 2009
Donald Tosh (Coggeshall, Nr Colchester, Essex. UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
To say I was disappointed in this work of lampoon/pastiche is to put it bluntly. It is a one joke book. The Doyle stories are lampooned as silly camp quasi-perverted (suggestions of coprophilia/necrophilia etc etc) are suggested as though to make fun of such things is the wittiest thing, without being able to actually think of a single good line or joke to support the premise

Sadly it becomes merely boring and throughout is labouredly unfunny.

However I have passed the book on to the local hospital as a gesture of genuine gallows humour.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do you find diarrhea funny? Then you'll love this., 3 Nov. 2009
Ms Lixie (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
I love spoof, I love sherlock holmes - so you'd have thought this would be a winner. Instead I had to give up reading it as I just couldn't take anymore "jokes" about diarrhea and masturbation. These things can be funny occasionally but practically every page contained at least one "joke" about one of them. The second story starts with a decription of excrement so detailed and unrelentless I gave up and skipped the chapter as I started to feel ill. I carried on until halfway through the final story by which point I just could not be bothered to search for the occasional spark of wit amongst all the poo. Really - this is not a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Accuracy And Humor = Big Laughs, 6 Dec. 2009
James Cameron "Artist / Filmmaker / Nerd" (a world of my own) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
I was introduced to this book at a time when my interest in Sherlock Holmes has been peeked once again - and this is nothing short of by a fan for the fans parody.

Starting with an excellent and incredibly faithful comdey take on "hound of the baskevilles" (my personal favourite holmes story) the book takes us on an incredibly funny version of the holmes adventures which reads in such a way that you'll be lost in the imagery and have to stop and refocus to remember your reading a book and not watching a film (which this seems to be perfectly suited to).

I've read through this thing in a matter of hours and I've already re-read it twice finding something else to laugh at that I missed first time around so no matter if you are a Holmes fan or not, this is an incredibly funny read and a must have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful!, 26 May 2009
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
Really sorry to report, but this is absolutely dire. The writing is bland and genuinely unfunny. It has been poorly proofread which serves to distract still further.

The 'humor' is unfunny by whatever definition you choose. Sorry...but this one went straight in the bin!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very, very funny, 7 Mar. 2009
Jonathan Castle "Author of Kevin" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
This is one of those books that make you laugh out loud. The style is close to the original stories, apart from all the bizarre things going on. The humour here covers a broad range, varying from sophisticated literary parody to the downright ridiculous.

It also uses some of the original Holmes illustrations, but puts a bizarre twist on them with some great captions. Great entertainment - well worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh a minute, 12 May 2010
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
Just do yourself a favour, and go and buy this totally original and very funny book. When you think of some of the crap out there, it's a disgrace that books like this don't get bigger publicity. Hopefully Wood is working on more of this genre. he is masterful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sherlock Holmes in a Unconventional Sense - Not Pants, 15 Dec. 2009
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death (Paperback)
If the idea of traditional Sherlock Holmes tales gives you a case of 'pipes and slippers' (no offence to any one that either smokes, wears or plays any of the above, or all), think again!
Can a male do more than one thing at once? emh ....Well Chris Wood appears to have done with this book.

Chris Wood turns the traditional on its head. More like being on a roller coaster and feeling that 'rush' of adrenalin.

Modern, witty and extremely funny, blows away the cobwebs in one fell swoop (thankfully for Mrs Hudson) well in six tales to be precise. Now obviously Mrs Hudson was not a feminist, pity if she were Sherlock would never have got away with some of his escapades 'Dirty Underpants' being one. Yet, maybe without her the mysteries, well who knows?

Now Professor Moriarity, I remember him from the old black and white Sherlock Holmes films. You would hear his voice, but never have I seen him until now on page 130. He looks more like he is doing a 'monkey' impression, sorry about that Professor M.

There are quite a few fun, pun pictures though that may bring a tear of laughter or two to your eyes.

Were the pair really into 'uniforms?' my lips are sealed on this, but see page 70 for more!)

6 Tales of his less famous exploits, all equally funny and mysterious as the next.

Read these and you may well look at Chris Wood again!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death
Sherlock Holmes and the Underpants Of Death by Chris Wood (Paperback - 3 Jan. 2009)