on 20 May 2008
OK, I realise that I'm sticking my neck out by disagreeing with most of the reviews here, but I was disappointed with this book.

That said, if you are a complete beginner to ebay and only intend to make a small amount of money from it, then it's probably for you - it covers all the basics in detail.

My main disappointment though is that it all seems rather obvious - anyone who has sold 2 or 3 items will know 90% of what is in this book.

A final point - do not buy this book if you intend to make a living, or a significant income, from ebay. Even in the introduction, where the author should be grabbing the reader's attention, he points out that a busy day nets him about £100 - before tax. Hardly a fortune. The fact that he considers this a good day, and moots taking the next day off because of it, does not speak of a man with ambition.

If you want some basic advice on selling low-value items and are new to ebay, then this book probably gives good advice. If your sights are set higher, don't bother.
22 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2006
I was not new to eBay when I read this book, but wanted to build a business and work from home. After reading Robert Pugh's personal diary, I was convinced that this was achievable. Having taken his advice on where to locate stock, the benefits of using HTML codes and how to use several photographs at no additional cost, I now sell on eBay for a living. This book is a must for anyone wanting to start their own business, whether they are new to eBay or are an established user. It is full of hints, tips and recommendations, is written in plain English and you really will not be disappointed!
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2009
I felt compelled to write a review having purchased this book, because I believe it is yet another book written by a so called ebay business "expert" that fails to deliver what it states in the title.

The simplistic content mostly covers how to buy and sell single items on ebay. The details of which can be found for free on ebay itself. This content is OK in terms of understanding how to trade on ebay but the remainder of the content does not provide the reader with any confidence that the "expert" is actually running a highly profitable business.

The ideas within are not focused towards operating a viable high growth business, therefore, it is misleading to suggest that the reader can make "serious money" on ebay using the content within the book.

In my opinion, the book does not give the reader anything new or novel; therefore, I am surprised that others rate this book so highly! I can only assume that other reviewers are looking to buy and sell odd bits of junk from car boot sales, rather than being serious about running a "proper" business, i.e one which may one day replace the 9-5 day job.
on 14 June 2007
I'd read a few Ebay self help books before trying Robert's and only wish I'd read his first!

As a seller, this has book has become totally invaluable. It is written in a very friendly manner, is easy to understand and is a total minefield of information. I now have scraps of paper marking many many pages of "projects" I want to have a go at, and his instructions are so easy to follow.

It is written in a style that makes it appear as though a friend is guiding you through the pages, and is neither too easy or too hard to follow. And it covers absolutely everything you could possible want or need to know, from creating your listing to the taxation implications.

He's also passed on a lot of tips which have really improved my sales and relationship with my customers.

He also has a free weekly email newsletter (advertised on the front cover) which is fantastic for keeping you up to date on Ebay news.

If you are thinking about purchasing a book on Ebay - don't look any further as they don't come better than this!
on 6 June 2006
This books is one of the best starting points you need to start making money on ebay. I work in a bookshop myself and got bored one day and came accross this book. I starting reading it and now I have a good knowledge on how to sell things on ebay. It is written by an experienced gentleman who is very willing to help others in their ebay business!! Brill read!!
on 1 February 2007
Use this book if you're just starting out as an eBay business. Keep it by your PC as you'll find yourself referring to it again and again. It's full of useful information, helpful and funny anecdotes, PLUS it's also got a link to the author's website, where he will personally reply to any questions you may have. It also tells you where in the UK and on the Web to source items to sell. This book is a must for those who want to start selling on eBay.co.uk, there are no Americanisms to wade through, no US laws, everything is geared towards the UK eBayer.

I'm just starting out, so I won't be using HTML as yet, but it's great to know that when I've reached the stage when I want to improve on my listings, the book is already by my PC.

Well done Mollybol!
I'm computer literate, but have always shied away from eBay thinking it 'geeky'and time consuming - but with a friend now averaging £2000 a month selling there, I've revised my opinion. I needed to learn as much as I could as quickly as possible and spent time on Amazon looking at many different books on the subject. Most are American, and although that is no bad thing, they are a written for a different audience. I will be working on eBay UK and needed something specific to here.
Having read the reviews below, I decided to buy Bob's book and have no complaints whatsoever. Few authors can pull you in quickly and talk to you as a friend, but Bob has the knack, (and the knowledge) to help you get started very quickly. He offers every buyer of his book unlimited email access to him for advice, and his newsletters are invaluable.
If you're new to eBay,this is all you need to hit the ground running.
Drop it in your shopping cart - you won't be disappointed.
on 13 August 2006
For anyone looking to start their own ebay business or just begin to sell on ebay this book is for you. It is full of great information and tips which are clearly explained and well detailed. I have read other ebay books in the past but none of them compare to the quality and usefullness of this one. If you are looking to suceed on ebay - buy this book!!!
on 27 January 2012
I really liked this book...I have been selling personal items on Ebay for a number of years and had decided to become more pro-active and actually try to make a living at it.I wanted a book to help me work out WHAT to sell,WHERE to find the stuff,the best way to deal with customers,packing etc.I got all this and more.Ok so the author isn't telling us how to become multi-millionaires,but personally I'm not after that...what he does offer is good,straightforward advice,written in a light entertaining way.A good buy.
on 2 October 2008
Why do any of us buy a book like this? I believe most of us already have a pretty good idea what sells on ebay and how to source it. The trouble is that those who didn't and have now read this will know as well!

I was expecting that extra something, you know? Over and above the same old basic stuff, but this book just didn't deliver it?

One other thing, note the title of the book. This will not make you megabucks imho, indeed when you look closely at his own figures, the author's own methods don't make him a bucketful either do they.

I'm with the guy who said it's okay for novices, but if you have a bit of nous already - don't waste your money. I sold mine on ebay!