5.0 out of 5 stars Fab little book, 16 Jun. 2011
S. Burgess (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Small Business Tax Planning: All You Need to Know from Start-Up to Retirement (Harriman Business Essentials) (Paperback)
When you're setting up a business often the last thing you're thinking about is paying tax - you'e more concerned with making some money first! Not necessarily the best way to go, but a fact of life. This fab book allows you to dip in and out of it as the need arises and alerts you to pitfalls before you fall into them.

It's written in an easy flowing language which is unusual for such a dry subject. I regularly use it to check I'm on the right track, follow up references and now I'm a bit more organised for future tax planning. It's good for interpreting what my accountant has said too - you know what it's like when you come out thinking you've understood everything when you're in the meeting and forgotten 95% by the time you've left it!

Great book at a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book tells you what your accountant may not!, 19 Jun. 2011
This book tells you what your accountant does not. It is easy to read and is a must for anyone who has, or is about to start a new business.

It is easy to follow and is very informative!

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to digest tax guide, 16 Jan. 2012
Sewing Directory (Devon) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I know most people switch off at the mention of the word tax, but I specifically requested this book to review as I am trying to manage my business accounts myself, saving the cost of an accountant. I think the HMRC are probably sick of me calling asking questions every time I do a tax return so I asked to review this book in the hope that it would help.

The first chapter considers business forms & tax implications, the second chapter covers tax incentives when starting a business, ideal if you are on the verge of starting up. The other chapters include the tax stages of a business, business tax bills, extracting money from the business and sale of the business amongst others. The chapter breakdown and index make it easy to go straight to the relevant section if you have a specific question you want answered. Obviously some of the subject matter does get rather complex but there are useful little boxes giving examples and breaking down calculations for you. Also make sure you read the Appendices, there is a lot of useful information from elsewhere in the book summarised there.

Within minutes I had managed to answer several of my tax questions, proving this to be a useful reference guide. I also found answers to many of the things I had called HMRC to ask in the past so if I had owned this book before launching my business it probably would have saved me many phone calls. All in all this book is a useful guide for business owners.

This review originally appeared on The Sewing Directory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily understood tax book, 12 Jun. 2011
A really easy book to follow, an absolute must for someone setting up a new business. Will be my guide for years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to know about Tax, 12 Jun. 2011
It does what it says on the Tin!
I found this book amazing value for money and exceptionally useful in navigating my way around our Tax system. It is easy to understand and easy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small Business Tax Planning: All You Need To Know., 22 Oct. 2014
Essential reading for anyone starting a small business.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Dec. 2014
Thank you. All received. All as written.