5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed, excellent Japanese cookery book
Try them!

For beginners - I recommend starting with the following recipes

- Nasu dengaku (so good!)
- Spinach with Gomadare sesame sauce (friends will think you a genius)
- Miso marinade salmon (simple and delicious - remember to wipe the sauce off before putting in oven, or it'll burn)
- Ginger pork (the reason why so many japanese...
Published on 24 April 2012 by Erlend Kjellstad

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright
I borrowed this from a friend and found that it was not as great as she was making out.
I found the book bland and the recipes boring, but hey, maybe i'm just not that much into Japanese food.
A lot of the recipes were seemingly the same thing but with different ingredients swapped over, kinda like you could make a few templates, and then say : hey add your own...
Published on 22 April 2012 by Micheal Vartan

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed, excellent Japanese cookery book, 24 April 2012
Erlend Kjellstad (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Try them!

For beginners - I recommend starting with the following recipes

- Nasu dengaku (so good!)
- Spinach with Gomadare sesame sauce (friends will think you a genius)
- Ginger pork (the reason why so many japanese dishes are so good is the sugar...)
- Teriyaki chicken (homemade teriyaki sauce - make extra!)
- Gyuu donburi (comfort food)
- Seared tuna with ponzu sauce (expensive raw ingredient - but excellent)
- beef tataki with creamy sesame sauce (that sauce again!).

Happy Cooking!

5.0 out of 5 stars Innovative Japanese Cooking, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
I visited Japan a few years ago. I was impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of strangers and even more so by their attention to detail. If you ask for something you get a full and comprehensive answer and every part of the process has been thought through. I came to the conclusion that the Japanese don't need to say, "do ask if you have any further queries" because they have taken the time to make sure you have all the information you need!

That philosophy is followed through in this book. The recipes are very clear and provide good tips and guidance through the process of preparing each dish. I am a good cook but I had never made a soufflé in my life. I tried out the miso soufflé recipe in this book for a dinner party and they turned out perfectly. Everyone thought it was such a delicious combination. Who'd have thought it? A miso based soufflé? This is a great book and I am very pleased to have it in my collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Japanese de-mystified, 25 April 2012
Hashi

I've always been a massive fan of Japanese food, but was intimidated at the prospect of cooking it myself. Hashi breaks everything down and explains/demystifies the ingredients and process of cooking amazing Japanese food at home. Once you have the basic ingredients it's easy to create fantastic dishes which always impress. Highly recommend this book - not only for the recipes but also as a beautifully shot cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 19 Mar 2012
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
I bought this book after having attended one of Reiko's cooking classes, it's an excellent book, very well laid out with a thorough introduction to basics and many detailed recipes. Highly recommended as an intro to Japanese food, ingredients and cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Japanese Cookery Book, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
I found Hashi, so easy to follow even the upmarket restaurant style dishes as well as traditional home cooking dishes. Very clear instructions with beautiful photos. I have given Hashi to all my Japanese food lover friends for Christmas and they all loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully presented, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
Japanese cuisine can seem like an unattainable skill with its attention to detail, harmonious assembly and precise, high quality ingredients. In fact, this book shows you clearly that this is not an unattainable skill but simply adjusting to a different way of cooking.

Hashi is a clearly laid out, sumptuously illustrated and ultimately satisfying book which will equip you to add that "wow" factor to any dinner party or to impress a special person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook Book, 22 April 2013
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
Brilliant book, so easy to understand. Well impressed, can't wait to try out more recipes. My friends are thinking of buying one as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Japanese cookbook for any food lover., 5 Mar 2013
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
I was given the Hashi cookbook as a birthday present last year. It was a great gift as I am passionate about cooking and asian food, however I don't have a great knowledge of how to cook with Asian flavours. I loved the format of the book being split up into different abilities. I started with a few basic dishes and worked my way through. The instructions are extremely easy to follow. I liked that instead of having a large section on sushi, the basic method is explained and then some fun alternatives are suggested. I also liked that the focus was on japanese cuisine as opposed to just sushi. One of my favourite things to make are gyozas as they are so delicious and I can also make a big batch and freeze them, and once I got the hang of them I was able to experiment with different fillings. The broccoli salad with sesame sauce is also delicious, and the sauce can be used with pretty much any green veg.

I have recommended this book to all of my friends - it is a great way to get started on Japanese cooking without being too basic. Whenever I have made these dishes for friends they have been extremely impressed! It's also a great gift for food lovers like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, 30 April 2012
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
This book is so beautifully shot, it could be a coffee table book. Mine however has been propped up in the kitchen for weeks as I cook so many meals from it. Once you have the basic store cupboard ingredients you can pick up meat/fish/tofu on your way home and be sure that there will be something to cook from the book. The presentation of the dishes is easy to achieve at home and guests will be impressed by the simplest of recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful book!, 26 April 2012
This review is from: Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course (Hardcover)
As a Japanese person, I know what good Japanese food is.
In this beautiful book, Reiko not only demonstrates her knowledge of Japanese food, but shares her wonderful recipes with us which taste very authentic and some with new ideas.
Reiko is a highly skilled cook and a teacher who has been making Japanese food culture very accessible to those who are keen to learn.
All the photographs are stunning and the recipes are clearly written for anyone to follow easily.
This book brings a fantastic opportunity to both confident and new cooks in Japanese cuisine and especially having tasted her own cooking myself, I would highly recommend Reiko's book to anyone.

Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course
Hashi: A Japanese Cookery Course by Reiko Hashimoto (Hardcover - 30 Oct 2011)