4.0 out of 5 stars Great cakes, if you can get the ingredients
Published on 8 Aug 2009 by Sharon loopy lou

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
A quick look at this book can leave you largely intimidated by the huge list of almost alien ingredients, xanthan gum, arrowroot powder, unsweetened applesauce (to us non Americans). But most of the flours have been easy to find online or in the supermarket.

Published on 7 Sep 2011 by Poison Pen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cakes, if you can get the ingredients, 8 Aug 2009
The one thing that cannot be denyed about Babycakes is the pictures and design of the book are so cute and charming you will want to rush out and buy all the relative ingredients and produce your own beautiful cupcakes. Therein lies the problem. Now, I must confess, I am not wheat or lactose intolerant but I have friends who are and friends who are vegans, and being a vegan you could try to adapt the recipes slightly (how they will taste though I have no idea, the ones I adapted were awful but the recipes containing spelt were yummy) but if you have allergies, there are perhaps only several recipes that contain no wheat or gluten.

I have hunted high and low in the shelves and aisles of many a well known supermarket and most of the ingredients are widely avaliable, from Xanthan Gum to Agave Necter, spelt flour and potato flour but I can't find Garbanzo fava bean flour anywhere! it is a shame because it makes the recipes in this book limited as to what you can make. However, I would never have discovered Agave Nectar without this book and it is very tasty indeed without the guilt of sugar.

My advice is to look on the Babycakes website before you purchase the book, the author/owner goes into more detail about the ingredients that are used and why, the biggest factor being that the book is published in America and supplies are varied and plentyful, but with supply and demand it could be that will have some of the ingredients in our shops soon, what with store like Whole Foods and the wonderful internet.

I do like this book tremendously and with the correct ingredients the cakes are amazing but it is the cooking equvalant of flat-pack furniture, if one part is missing, it all falls apart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and yummy., 29 April 2011
This review is from: Babycakes (Hardcover)
First of all let me say that I am not vegan nor allergic or intolerant to anything (yet), lucky me...But the reason why I bought this book is that I love my cakes and bakes and I was interested in checking out a heathier way to indulge in my sins.
This is the UK version of an American book. Contrary to the original US version, this book has cup measurements converted to kg/g and l/ml/cl (ie metric but not imperial, sorry!) and a lot of American terms adapted to the British market. Also and most importantly I thought, a very useful list of UK websites is provided at the end of the book to help locate ingredients which might not be available at all supermarkets.
All that will lift a lot of the criticisms raised against the original version provided people also read the title correctly: Vegan but only mostly gluten free -some recipes use spelt flour which is not gluten free although Erin mcKenna underlines that a lot of people with wheat sensitivities digest it confortably- and mostly sugar free.
If that suits you , you are in for a treat, the recipes have been very well researched and there is something -in fact a lot of things- to suit anyone and everyone here. Once you have got hold of the less common ingredients, which is very easy to do thanks to the list of UK websites provided as I mentioned earlier, you are very clearly guided through the recipes and given ideas for substitutions and clever tips to boot.
Only one gripe: although I found the introduction on ingredients and tips quite interesting, I would gladly have done without the 'celebrities' recommendations and photos which take up a few pages too many, very American I suppose but I would have preferred more recipes to replace them, this is a cookbook after all!
Apart from that this book is a real find for cake lovers with or without food intolerances and/or ethical choices and just to give you a taster, recipes include: double chocolate crumbcake, lemon-poppy teacake, chocolate shortbread scones with caramelised bananas, red velvet cupcakes, jalapeno cheddar cornbread, blueberry crumbcake....and a lot more to be enjoyed!
One more word: the cryptic -for me at least- 'evaporated cane juice' is called whole cane sugar or rapadura this side of the Atlantic...Also check their website FAQ on [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 7 Sep 2011

My only gripe is that you can only make the frosting using coconut oil. This is incredibly expensive especially since you will most likely have to order it online. It will also need to be constantly refrigerated due to the fact it will easily melt, not helpful when over half the recipes call for use of the frosting topping.

I've made a couple of the recipes now, and so far I am not impressed. My cookies came out extremely oily as I was using canola oil (as suggested) and had to amend the recipe to accommodate this. Again on a second batch they came out far too chewy and a rather odd hard consistency at the same time. Expensive considering I was using agave nectar (nearly a whole bottle at 2.70 a pop).

I'm not sure I would recommend this to many suffering with coeliac due to the excessive use of exotic flours when the end results I have personally found are well below par.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum, 4 Jun 2009
A. Michie - See all my reviews
I do not suffer from any food intolerance or allergy but I love baking and the recipes from this book have made it possible for me to indulge in baking to my heart's content without feeling guilty. The ingredients are also quite easy to source, either on the internet or at the health food shelves in a large supermarket.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, very long ingredients lists..., 13 May 2012
R. Heywood (Bolton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Babycakes (Hardcover)
I've had this book for a while with the intention of making cakes for my sister who is a coeliac (I, myself am vegan) but the somewhat large ingredients lists put me off for a very long time. I decided to give it a go on my sister's birthday and made the triple chocolate fat-pants cake. The cake and cookies came out beautifully, which was a relief as my exeriences with gluten-free, vegan baking have been mixed. However, I think that I'll stick to the more traditional butter icing next time because although my icing didn't come out runny, it wasn't really thick enough to stick the cookies to the cake. My only major complaint about this book is that I love baking and being a vegan, my cupboards at home are full to the brim with all kinds of tasty things to make cakes/biscuits with. However, I needed to get quite a few extra bits (4 different types of flour for the cake, coconut flour for the icing!) and it did become very expensive. I think if you already have a gluten (or wheat) intolerance, this might not be such a problem as you may already have a lot of these ingredients in, but for myself, I am going to have to use these flours up when I wouldn't normally use them to justify buying them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly awful, 25 Dec 2011
This review is from: Babycakes (Hardcover)
I'm reviewing the UK version, but if you go to the american site and see their version, there are A LOT of bad reviews.
I am a Vegan. I hate a lot of premade Vegan food, they all taste bland, yuck and have weird textures.
I was REALLY excited when I found this book. I spent an absolute fortune sourcing the ingredients (coconut oil is criminally expensive and have you ever tried to get powdered soya milk?) and had to wait a long time to try these recipes out as I had to get some of the harder to find flours etc mailed.
What a waste of time, effort and money. I followed everything TO THE LETTER and EVERY recipe I tried was awful. I tried;
Ginger Snaps, Cupcakes (chocolate) chocolate frosting, applesauce, sugerplum biscuits and a few other things and they all ended up being given to the birds. They were inedible, horrible textures and a lot of effort to make for such awful cakes. Not only that, I don't uderstand how so many flavorsome ingrdients going into a dish could result in so many bland, awful things.
I assumed that this is what vegan cakes taste like....until I tried Ms. Cupcake in London. OMG, amazing.
Don't bother with this book, it's awful!

5.0 out of 5 stars baby cakes, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Babycakes (Hardcover)
I'm gluten intolerant but love baking. Baby cakes is amazing and has a totally different approach to baking. I love the almost healthy ingredients and the recipes are real fun and different too. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars BabyCakes Recipe Book, 30 April 2010
This Book is great if you want to have your cake and eat it too!!! Some of the ingredents are a little difficult to come by but the secret is buy in bulk and freeze where you can, then it will keep for a long time. The retro style of the book is very cool too. I have now brought 2 of these books one as a present so that my sister-in-law can make my nephew gluten free and egg free cakes and one for me as this book was still tempting.

4.0 out of 5 stars UK version now available see below, 29 April 2011
I thought I would post this information here although it is not a book review as such: A UK version of this book is now available with cup measurements converted to kg/g and l/ml/cl (ie metric but not imperial, sorry!)and a lot of American terms adapted to the British market. Also and most importantly I thought, a very useful list of UK websites is provided at the end of the book to help locate ingredients which might not be available at all supermarkets.
If you are interested, check the ISBN for the British version before ordering:
# ISBN-10: 1906650322
# ISBN-13: 978-1906650322
Hope this helps ;-)
The only reason I do not give this book 5* here is because this is the US version which is less helpful to us in the UK, the UK version would get 5*.

4.0 out of 5 stars Omnomnom, 4 Nov 2009
B. Sutcliffe (Durham, UK) - See all my reviews
I love Babycakes NYC. I'm vegan and wheat-intollerant so visiting Babycakes on a recent trip to NYC was a real treat.
I decided to purchase the recipe book to see whether I could recreate the deliciousness at home, and I have to say that I have not been disappointed at all! So far I have made Erin's Pumpkin Muffins, Courgette Muffins and her Cornbread and all have come out maginificently well.
The book refers to US brands of flour etc. like Bob's Red Mill but you can substitute Dove Farm Gluten free flours with no problems at all. She also uses coconut oil a lot, which is fairly easy to come by in the UK, but expensive. I often substitue this for rapeseed oil, and again I haven't countered any problems, except that it makes the treats slightly less healthy.
I really recommend this recipe book to vegans and omnivores alike. I've given Babycake's treats to omni friends and family and all have been astounded that vegan, wheat-free cakes can taste so amazing!

ARRAY(0xa3494edc)

Babycakes
Babycakes by Erin McKenna (Hardcover - 28 Oct 2010)
8.00