Format: Kitchen & Home|Change

on 28 September 2009
I bought this book off a shelf at a store so knew it was primarily girls clothes, suits me fine. I liked a lot of the items and from reading through, the patterns seem fairly straightforward to make (I am a relative beginner). There are a few patterns for boys, not many but I will make the PJs, dressing gown and possible the shorts for my son. Some gorgeous skirts, pants and tops for girls. Photography is beautiful in it and the patterns look so achieveable I made the cover item straight away in only a few hours from some leftover fabric. It turned out lovely, I can't wait to try something else.

If you are new to sewing/dressmaking this would be a good buy, but if you are more accomplished it might be a little too simple.
on 30 September 2009
I haven't tried any patterns becuase I only got the book yesterday-but like the other reviewers I agree it is very biased towards girls. There are only a couple of boys items, and the boys shirt is not particularly trendy!
The book says clothes from 0-5 years but the majority of the patterns are for 2-5 yrs with a couple of items for babies, for example the very cute shoes are 0-9 months so too small for my daughter who is just going into 12-18 months size but practically everything else is too big for her, although I will look at scaling down the patterns.
Don't get me wrong, once she is bigger I will make lots and lots of the designs in the book, it is beautifully photographed with really clear instructions I just feel it should have been titled Making clothes for Girls!
on 8 August 2011
Was very excited to get this book as the photos make the projects look wonderful. Have tried two of the projects so far (pinafore dress and capri pants) and found both to be really frustrating. The instructions seem incomplete or just plain wrong at times and the sizing is all over the place. I would say this book is useful as a starting point but you need to have the skills and confidence to adapt the patterns & instructions so that they actually work! Try Carefree clothes for girls insteadCarefree Clothes for Girls: 20 Patterns for Outdoor Frocks, Playdate Dresses, and More (Make Good: Crafts + Life)
on 11 October 2010
For just over seven quid you get 25 patterns, which is a bargain in my book (har). The patterns I have made so far have worked perfectly (the cape and the unisex trousers; perhaps it's the capri trousers that others are complaining about? Too girly for my daughter so I'm not going to bother making them anyway), but it's the inspiration that I value. I've got a whole stash ready to make most of the projects in this book; the simple nature of the patterns means they can cater to all occasions and many cloths. They may not be cutting-edge, but you can make them that way with your own creative spark, by dint of their design. However, their simplicity makes them cutting-edge in their own way: the boy's shirt is an example, where the naive style makes it look pretty blooming modern.

On the flip side, there are a couple of good old-fashioned party frocks in there too, ready for Christmas time.
on 25 June 2012
I have made a few things from this book now and the sizing is way off. Great for ideas but patterns are not great.
on 17 March 2010
I bought this book to make girls clothes for my daughter. I couldn't wait, they pictures entice you t make things.
I made the dress on the cover to start with, but the pattern didnt seem right, it only made a top because there was only a pattern for the lining not the full length dress (my daughter is only 2). I couldn't find any aditional pattern markings like it said there should be, also i didnt have enough fabric from what it said on the instructions. My friend couldn't make sense of it either. BUT because i have been sewing for sometime I was able to adapt the pattern. I was very happy with the outcome in the end and will be attempting loads more things from this book.
on 26 March 2014
Yes the book is lovely and most of the reviews say how gorgeous the designs are. It's true. But few seem to have actually made anything from this book and anyone who has done seems to have the same complaint, the patterns and the instructions are wrong or misleading at times. There are some basic errors in the book and it is frustrating, I have just wasted a whole morning trying to make the Capri pants in the book and now ripping out seams to make finish them off by following instructions found elsewhere on the internet.
on 24 November 2011
I am a very experienced stitcher and have found errors and omissions in the patterns I have tried. Clearly the patterns have not been tested as often they would not work in the way they have been designed to use, or in the pictures extra steps have been included to make the garments nicer than they would be if you follow the patterns, or whole steps have been left out. Unless you are experienced you are left on your own at crucial points.

This is a shame because the clothes look quite cute (well, the girls' ones anyway, no self respecting boy would wear anything with a peter pan collar in my opinion), and I do use the book for basic patterns but I have had to add to and change every pattern I have used. All they needed to do was have someone other than the writer try out the patterns and correct the errors before publishing. Lazy editing.
on 21 November 2012
I found this book very useful, I tried quite a few of the patterns and made a bundle of cloths ready for Christmas for my grandchildren aged 1, 3 and 5 (will try to upload a picture - N.B. most of fabrics bought from Amazon too). While there are some very small details wrong (hopefully fixed in the next edition), I really could not manage without it.
review image
on 4 November 2010
This book is is filled with beautiful patterns. Yes as pervious reviewers have pointed out it is mostly aimed at patterns for little girls. The patterns are easy to follow with step by step instructions which is perfect for a novice like me. I have just made the cord skirt for my little girl and it was a real success. Highly recommend to anyone who wants to make clothes for little ones that are standout, different, contemporary and up to date.