4.0 out of 5 stars great buy for girls
Published on 28 Sep 2009 by rosiecotton

3.0 out of 5 stars Great But......
I haven't tried any patterns becuase I only got the book yesterday-but like the other reviewers I agree it is very biased towards girls. There are only a couple of boys items, and the boys shirt is not particularly trendy!
Published on 30 Sep 2009 by Mrs. Nicola K. Bane

4.0 out of 5 stars great buy for girls, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this book off a shelf at a store so knew it was primarily girls clothes, suits me fine. I liked a lot of the items and from reading through, the patterns seem fairly straightforward to make (I am a relative beginner). There are a few patterns for boys, not many but I will make the PJs, dressing gown and possible the shorts for my son. Some gorgeous skirts, pants and tops for girls. Photography is beautiful in it and the patterns look so achieveable I made the cover item straight away in only a few hours from some leftover fabric. It turned out lovely, I can't wait to try something else.

If you are new to sewing/dressmaking this would be a good buy, but if you are more accomplished it might be a little too simple.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great But......, 30 Sep 2009
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
The book says clothes from 0-5 years but the majority of the patterns are for 2-5 yrs with a couple of items for babies, for example the very cute shoes are 0-9 months so too small for my daughter who is just going into 12-18 months size but practically everything else is too big for her, although I will look at scaling down the patterns.
Don't get me wrong, once she is bigger I will make lots and lots of the designs in the book, it is beautifully photographed with really clear instructions I just feel it should have been titled Making clothes for Girls!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not much for boys, 28 Feb 2010
A. Bancroft - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
This book was bought for me as a present. I make quite a lot of clothing for my grandchildren so it was ideal.

I do find having two grandsons that the book is indeed biased towards girls. I made the boys long shorts and they do look really lovely. I made a pair for my granddaughter at the same time but used girlie fabric and they are nice.

I think the full size patterns are very useful, I never buy a book if you have to photocopy and scale up the patterns, can't be bothered so that is a plus.

The patterns are easy to follow but I did make a couple of little changes as I felt I could do the same thing in an easier way.

Thumbs up for nice clothing.

Thumbs down for lack of boys clothing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book but the sizing is way off, 25 Jun 2012
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
I have made a few things from this book now and the sizing is way off. Great for ideas but patterns are not great.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Aug 2011
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
Was very excited to get this book as the photos make the projects look wonderful. Have tried two of the projects so far (pinafore dress and capri pants) and found both to be really frustrating. The instructions seem incomplete or just plain wrong at times and the sizing is all over the place. I would say this book is useful as a starting point but you need to have the skills and confidence to adapt the patterns & instructions so that they actually work! Try Carefree clothes for girls insteadCarefree Clothes for Girls: 20 Patterns for Outdoor Frocks, Playdate Dresses, and More (Make Good: Crafts + Life)

4.0 out of 5 stars Some simple sewing, 30 Mar 2010
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
Bought this book a couple of months ago with the intention of making summer clothes for my 2 daughters. I've used the basic trouser pattern a couple of times now for costumes and seems simple enough. Some of the other patterns look easy too so can't wait to try them out once I find some suitable fabric.
Lovely pictures too - though be warned if you used the same fabric as that in the book the outfits could work out to be quite expensive!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely clothing, easy patterns, 17 Mar 2010
K. L. Wood (Shrewsbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this book to make girls clothes for my daughter. I couldn't wait, they pictures entice you t make things.
I made the dress on the cover to start with, but the pattern didnt seem right, it only made a top because there was only a pattern for the lining not the full length dress (my daughter is only 2). I couldn't find any aditional pattern markings like it said there should be, also i didnt have enough fabric from what it said on the instructions. My friend couldn't make sense of it either. BUT because i have been sewing for sometime I was able to adapt the pattern. I was very happy with the outcome in the end and will be attempting loads more things from this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas and pictures but frustrating patterns!, 5 Nov 2009
Charlotte Lightbown (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
Couldn't wait to get this book but started making the trousers for my daughter and the pattern literally doesn't work - asked advice from my friend who is a Childrens' clothes designer (and my trusty Nan!) neither could make sense of it and I ended up moderating it and using my friend's pattern which disappointed me as was hoping to do these patterns alone! Now reluctant to try any more as I feel a bit let down. Nice ideas though and handy to have the patterns full size - maybe I will give it the benefit of the doubt and try something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Instructions are plain wrong, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
Yes the book is lovely and most of the reviews say how gorgeous the designs are. It's true. But few seem to have actually made anything from this book and anyone who has done seems to have the same complaint, the patterns and the instructions are wrong or misleading at times. There are some basic errors in the book and it is frustrating, I have just wasted a whole morning trying to make the Capri pants in the book and now ripping out seams to make finish them off by following instructions found elsewhere on the internet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning simplicity, 2 Feb 2012
This review is from: Making Children's Clothes (Kitchen & Home)
Emma Hardy has put together a beautiful book of stunning children's clothes. The clothes are gorgeous but are fairly easy to make. My only issue was that there were not too many patterns for little boys. If you have a little girl and love to sew then this book is for you.

Making Children's Clothes
Making Children's Clothes by Emma Hardy (Kitchen & Home - 10 Sep 2009)
9.09