5.0 out of 5 stars Great for non-quilters who want the patchwork look
Published on 4 Sept. 2009 by AnaBea

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I bought this book as a treat for myself and was very disappointed. As mentioned in the other review there is a distinct lack of instructions and for a quilter the seam allowance and ironing information are confusing.

Published on 19 July 2009 by M. R. Topham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for non-quilters who want the patchwork look, 4 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Quilting in No Time: 50 Step-by-step Weekend Projects Made Easy (Paperback)
This is NOT a patchwork and quilting book - let's make that clear. I quilt, but also do general sewing (Amy Butler stuff etc), and to my mind this is a sewing book for anyone who wants the patchwork and quilted 'vibe' with that modern Amy look, but without actually getting bogged down in learning to sew the 'quilting' way. If you're already a dedicated quilter, you WILL be disappointed in the disregard for quilting techniques and in fact the lack of much quilting at all (it focuses on the patchwork side). Try Quilt Yourself Gorgeous -lovely projects but written by an experienced quilter. However if you just love sewing with modern fabrics and want the patchwork look, then you'll love this as much as her last book (and the photography is really good here!).

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 July 2009
M. R. Topham "MRT" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews

I also found the list of items needed very vague and no finished item measurements, so you don't even know what you are aiming for size wise.

On the up side the book has lovely projects and great photography, but I would personally do some major tweaking on all the projects to make them work for me.

Great for inspiration, but perhaps not a beginners book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy fun projects, 23 Jun. 2010
I got this book for my birthday and being new to quilting, I found this a breath of fresh air. I am a busy Mum with a four year old and tackling a really large quilting project is quite daunting. I was very surprised at how long my first project (a wall hanging quilt about 3ft square all done with traditional techniques and hand quilted) has taken me and I am really looking forward to making some of the things in this book. I agree with the other reveiwers, it perhaps isn't pure quilting, but if you want to make some lovely things for your home, which take maybe a few hours, or few days to make, rather than a few months or few years, then this is a great book. I love quilting, but have an unfortunate personality trait of losing momentum if something takes ages, so this book with its quick and easy projects is just right. I definitely want to make a handbag, which I think will cost me about £12-15 to make and would probably sell in Monsoon for about £30, I also want to make the sofa throw, which is patchwork and quilted with randomly placed buttons and the idea of a small quilt with a baby's cot quilt inside for wadding (ie you are making a patchwork duvet cover and then quilting through the duvet with ties) seems a great way of getting a patchwork look in super quick time. If you aren't super patient and haven't got loads of time, but want to make some nice things, they get this book. If you are looking for detailed quilt patterns and technique details, then look for something else.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely projects, beautifully photographed, however..., 30 April 2009
I have to admit to being a little disappointed with this book. Yes, there are many lovely things to make, but some of the instructions leave a bit to be desired. For example, I was surprised that although mention is made of rotary cutting techniques, the method used in nearly every pattern is to create a paper template and cut out each shape, even the simplest square or rectangle, individually. Emma also advises pressing all seams open, whereas seams are generally pressed to one side in all the patchwork/quilting patterns I have seen. In some of the projects, despite the title of the book, quilting is absent, or is merely for decoration rather than to hold the layers together, making me wonder how practical the items will be once they are washed. How will the wadding stay in place without quilting to hold it there? I think there should be more detailed advice about techniques too, such as cutting the backing and wadding bigger than the patched quilt top and then trimming to size once quilted. Also, standard patchwork seams are 1/4" but Emma uses 1/2", which is potentially confusing for more experienced quilters.

Despite these misgivings, the projects are lovely and the book is beautifully put together and styled. I just wonder whether a beginner or novice might be a little disappointed if they follow the instructions to the letter. I will certainly make many of the items but will alter the instructions where necessary.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem hidden behind a terrible cover, 17 Sept. 2010
I have just treated myself to a sewing machine as I am now a stay at home mum and felt that I would like to so something productive with my time. I ordered this booked based on the title and was surprised and delighted to find there is so much more to the book than quilts, all kinds of bags, coasters, things for all parts of the home. Despite the dubious material on the front cover, the inside is inspirational in terms of materials and presentation and I can see this is going to get a lot of use over the coming months and years as things need to be replaced. I am now firmly of the motto, why buy when you can make!

You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous!!, 18 Mar. 2010
This book is really gorgeous! It is like a pandora's box-even for experienced needle workers like myself. It is not difficult to follow though,and a complete novice would find this a good book to learn from .The patterns make lovely kit ideas for needlecraft groups.It would make a much appreciated present-I'm sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas but not as quick as the book makes out..., 5 Nov. 2010
I have only recently started sewing again (the last time was about age 12 in home economics...) so I've not yet mastered all the techniques to start making my own designs.
This book is great for ideas and full of simple projects. Being new to the whole thing I have found a few of the instructions a bit vague (no mention of seam allowance etc) but have muddled through fine, even making my own adaptations where I thought I could do a better job than the way the book suggests (I don't know if this is a bonus or a flaw!)
Being a begginner I'd also say the time to complete the project noted in the book is very ambitious. I've taken two lots of afternoon and evenings to complete something which the book says should be two hours. I will get quicker I'm sure and some projects may be less fiddly than the first one I picked but unless you're a complete whizz with a sewing machine I'd allow a little more time than the book recommends.

Overall it's a great little book that I'm sure I'll dip in and out of in the future, but wouldn't describe it (yet) as my quilting bible. Time will tell.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty and inspiring, 4 Oct. 2009
I wouldn't call it a quilting book , more a book with nice sewing projects that give the quilting look. I am very pleased with this purchase and will probably buy the other 'in no time' book by the same author.

1.0 out of 5 stars same, 17 Feb. 2011
VenusSpecimen (south east, u.k) - See all my reviews
if you've had other books by this author then i wouldnt get this. the projects are the same just in different colours. i'm very very disappointed! also its not a teach yourself how to quilt project.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quilting in no time, 31 Jan. 2010
Mrs. Bale (midlands england) - See all my reviews
As someone new to quilting i found this book very easy to follow,with plenty of instructions .The projects are varied so as to be of wide interest and informative. Ranging from simple coasters needing 1hr,page 42,on through to more creative projects
like the notebook folder taking up to 6hrs,page 114.This book is bright and full of insructions,techniques,and even includes templates .

Quilting in No Time: 50 Step-by-step Weekend Projects Made Easy