5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad this book has been reprinted :-)
Published on 14 Jan 2009 by Mrs. H. V. Minor

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
No the best
Published 2 months ago by JennyP

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad this book has been reprinted :-), 14 Jan 2009
Mrs. H. V. Minor "Halimeda Hilary" (Guildford, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful cookbook and should never be allowed to go out of print again! I am of part-Armenian origin but have never had the fortune to travel to Armenia and to be able to tap into the cuisine of my father's country and culture in this way fills a big gap in the knowledge of my personal heritage. None of the dishes are difficult to make and some are really unusual, stuffed melon, for example. I have made this dish and it's a revelation: you think it will taste sweet because it contains, sugar, raisins and cinnamon, but also lamb (or beef), so it's a savoury dish and all these wonderful, fragrant ingredients are stuffed into a cantaloupe or honeydew melon! It is delicious. Arto reminds us of a Turkish saying: "Only an Armenian would stuff a melon, cry over a large chunk of rock (i.e. Mount Ararat, the symbol of Armenia) and claim all defeats are really victories." Well, it makes me proud to be part Armenian :-) Not all the recipes are from Armenia, however, and the lucky reader will find recipes from all over the Middle East - they are all so much worth taking the time to get to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars The aroma of authenticity!, 17 Dec 2009
Mr. M. Knowles "Mark Knowles" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
When I was invited to review this book, I had no idea that the author was quite so prolific. I haven't even had an opportunity to try the others yet! Okay, so the photos are lacking but, let's face it, would you knock any classic novel for not being in child-sized print or for having no cartoons? No, of course not. I wanted a genuine, tried-and-trusted set of new recipes from the Levant, and the eastern seaboard of the Med to compliment the better known fare from Greece and Italy and that is exactly what this delivered. I'm not the world's best chef but I have managed just fine so far. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Kitchen Bible, 20 May 2009
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
This is my second copy. I wore out the other to bits! Every recipe has been a success. Loved by family & friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Middle Eastern Cookery- A MUST HAVE!!, 11 Jan 2009
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
How refreshing to discover an authentic cookery book that encompasses so many diverse ingredients and flavours. Reading the introductions to the recipes forms an interesting insight into the origins of the dishes and this timeless book incorporates easy to follow, innovative Middle Eastern recipes that appeal to all palates!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 9 May 2009
P. J. Keating "P J Keating" (Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
my copy from 1987 has just about fallen apart from over use, glad to get a new copy, best cooking book i have ever brought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable recipes and enjoyable reading for all!, 17 Jan 2009
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
One of the most interesting and enjoyable cookbooks I have picked up in a while. Not only are all the recipes well presented and described but the anecdotes and proverbs of the different cultures in the Middle East, which Arto so colourfully describes, add that extra bit of spice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Available at last!, 6 Jan 2009
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
Top of my Christmas list for this year and well worth the wait! Another fantastic book from Arto, beautifully laid out and packed full of unusual recipes. Favourites of mine and highly recommended are his lulu kebab, a classic Armenian favourite and lahma-bi-ageen - a wonderful starter. I believe that Arto wrote many fine cookery books before his untimely death and sincerely hope that more of these amazing works continue to be re-printed in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Middle-Eastern Cookbook I have., 29 July 2007
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Paperback)
Quite a few years ago I bought a copy of this wonderful classic. It was the First Edition of this book, and my First Introduction to Middle-Eastern food, and over the years I have referred to this book time and time again. It is a book containing every possible recipe from the Middle East, and has been written in the same wonderful style as Mr Arto's other classic cookbooks. I like the fact that this book seems to contain the whole gamut of near-east cooking, and it is once again peppered with anecdotes on life, food and culture. If you are looking for glossy pictures of the finished dish, you won't find them here. What you WILL find though is one of the most extensive and authentic collections of Middle Eastern recipes.

Sadly Mr Arto passed away a number of years ago. Being an admirer of his work I tracked down his other titles through Amazon, and the recipes never ever fail to delight friends and family. The marinades, stuffed vegetables, crisp pastries and honey-doused desserts are full of Eastern Promise. I can't tell you how many times I have been asked for the recipes. I first attempted to make Konafa, a speciality pastry with a recipe from this book. It was easy to make, and the finished pastry was superb. This particular title contains the very best of Mr Arto der Haroutunian's unique recipes. It is a collector's item. I am also delighted to hear that this classic is going to be re-printed this year. My copy is rather worn and some of the pages are dog-eared, so it's maybe time I replaced it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wide ranging collection, 13 Jun 2009
E. L. Wisty "World Domination League" (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Hardcover)
A wide ranging collection of recipes, from the Caucasus, Turkey, the Arab countries & Israel, and Iran, collected by the late Arto de Haroutunian, who by all accounts seems to have been a very talented chap in a number of fields.

This publication has a few negatives for me. Firstly the lack of any photography. OK, in a book this size and this many recipes it could end up being an unfeasibly large book, but I always like to see what I am trying to make, as well as it being an aid to choosing candidate dishes to make when you are flicking through - appearance is as important as taste for me when composing menus. The latter issue of difficulty choosing easily while flicking through is compounded a bit by the use of a 'quasi-Armenian' font in the recipe titles which is sometimes hard to read, and even further by the fact that some of these titles contain no further information as to what the recipe makes, so you have to read through it to find out.

Nevertheless despite my gripes, this is a welcome addition to the bookshelf of anyone cooking Middle Eastern food, whether an old hand like me or a newcomer to the region's cuisine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The new edition of the cookbook everyone wants, 22 Dec 2011
This review is from: Middle Eastern Cookery (Paperback)
It was out of print for 20 years, but second-hand copies changed hands for over £400. At last, here's a redesigned new edition of the cookbook everyone wants.

As you read through this impressive tome it soon becomes obvious that there are some commonly available staples that you need for these recipes. - walnuts are a must, tahini paste, dried broad beans (dried fava beans), fresh Middle Eastern spices such as cumin, fenugreek, cardamom, sesame and also burghul.
It is interesting to note the chapter on pickles which are now so wildly popular due to the efforts of mega-chefs such as David Chang at Momofuku Ko. Haroutunian talks of visits to shops in Beirut that sell nothing else but pickles. Vegetables of all sorts including cauliflower, turnips and cucumber are pickled. Unlike Chang who uses lots of sugar, these recipes only use salt and vinegar but the harshness of these ingredients are offset with liberal use of herbs and spices in the pickling mix.
Another great chapter is the one on kibbeh and kufta. We have fond memories oof days in the sun making kibbeh for hundreds of people at food festivals as we helped our Lebanese friends make these intricate orbs that were devoured with pleasure by Brits looking for different flavours and textures. Whether it be the recipe for Kibbeh Naye the raw lamb and burghul dish that is so beloved throughout Lebanon or the Armenian recipe for marble-sized Ttoo Kufta served in a stew of lamb, chickpeas and mint, the recipes are intriguing and easy to follow.
This a a great book with a wonderful panoply of recipes.
It is a necessary addition to every food lovers collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Middle Eastern Cookery
Middle Eastern Cookery by Arto Der Haroutunian (Paperback - 30 Sep 2010)