4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, but not quite

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 24 months ago by Melissa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, but not quite, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Learn to Cook Wheat, Gluten and Dairy Free: 100 Step-by-step Recipes (Paperback)
This book is great for gluten and dairy free cooking. The book is one of few that contains recipes for meals that would otherwise contain gluten. It can be pretty tiring with all these "gluten free" cookbooks that includes recipes for things that never had gluten in them anyway. The food also tastes great and I'm particularly fond of the cakes in this book. I have a couple of gripes though. One is the order in which some of the instructions are given. This is the only cookbook I know of where I end up having to use 3 or 4 different mixing bowls to make a cake. I'm pretty sure the instructions could have been thought through a little better. My second gripe is the use of branded products in the ingredients list. None of the breads in this book are possible to make without the use of a branded product. I think the book would have benefited from introducing home made flour mixes so that it would be possible to experiment with different types of flours and breads. Especially since this is a book aimed at "beginners". Not knowing what goes into the flour mixes, leaves us nonplussed in terms of experimenting and taking our gluten free cooking a step further. So in terms of break baking, I still turn to the internet for help rather than this book. Otherwise, great cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Helping Hand, 2 Aug 2010
I love this book. With so many friends and family falling prey to the synthetics in processed food, it is a pleasure to find simple straightforward advice which works every time. This book is imaginative and the recipes are delicious. Every kitchen should have one close to hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% brilliant!!, 13 Nov 2009
Have been a fan for some years of Antoinette...and have eagerly awaited the new book.

Well worth the wait.

Easy & straightforward recipes...for both the terrified newly diagnosed Coeliacs and the more experienced cook.

Something for everyone. Sound advice...and some wonderful food.

Great work!!...thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Antoinette Savill, 14 Nov 2009
K. Evans - See all my reviews
Once again, Antoinette Savill has written another easy to use cook book, but not at the expense of the end product - the recipes I have tried were absolutely delicious and I have served to people without food allergies who have also said how yummmy they all were.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic food, 2 Aug 2010
I've been buying Antoinette Savill's books for years and they've been an absolute godsend. I'm a coeliac with a fondness for lovely food and this really enables me to eat all the things I really want. I love the learn to cook format too as it's so easy to do. Delicious and a great new book in my Savill collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 Dec 2012
I have to disagree with the majority of the reviews here. I had high hopes for this book but I am disappointed with the range of recipes. I was looking for wholesome, healthy, nutritious recipes without gluten or dairy but instead it appears to be mostly stodgy food, all containing GF/DF alternatives like non-dairy cheese. I'm looking for healthy alternatives to these foods - simply recipes without flour, cheese, cream etc but most recipes here seem to be secondary substitutes for food that is out of bounds for allergy sufferers and those with intolerances. Also, loads of recipes contain eggs and soya. Since soya is often no good for those with a lactose intolerance or sensitive digestive system, I am surprised by how many of the recipes contain soya products. The lack of a preview here does not help, if I had seen the recipes beforehand then I would not have bought this book. There is surely a market for tasty and healthy recipes that avoid the problem foods altogether, not substitute them with inferior imitations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Help, 1 Aug 2010
Found this book when we needed some inspiration to cook for our gluten intolerant friend.

We have had great fun and many tasty meals since, the chocolate puddings are our favorite and have been made for other friends who are not intolerant, and of course us, yum!

Basically, a good book with plenty of simple to cook recipes, and most helpful to us (we had no experience of catering for someone with a gluten intolerance) some helpful info on ingredients and where to get them, also there are several pages to help the complete new comer to cooking (didn't need that bit :-) )

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb easy to follow recipes - must have book!, 1 Aug 2010
This book has quickly become a favourite - easy to follow, wonderfully thought out tasty food that makes you want to go back for more! A godsend to those of u with dietary concerns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 20 Aug 2010
I found this book wonderful. It is easy to read and easy to follow. Well done Antoinette!

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you live without gluten, wheat & dairy products?, 14 Aug 2010
Joanne Ralphs "Joanne Sparrow" (Dalyan, Turkey) - See all my reviews
This book is a Godsend. When you first learn that you have gluten intolerance, you are in panic mode and can't think what to eat! Sounds crazy but it's true, especially if your current diet is full of convenience foods because of the hectic life you live (a full-time working wife & Mum of 3 teenagers). You freeze, can't think beyond not being able to eat your usual toast for breakfast or sandwiches for lunch, I know because this happened to a friend of mine. She's been gluten intolerant for almost 10 years now and she raved about this book. This book has helped her to plan her meals and to eat more healthily which is a much better way of living than spending time reading labels on convenience foods to check if they contain any wheat products in the ingedients or buying ready made gluten free products which are expensive. So a huge thank you to Antoinette for making life a little easier for my friend, even all these years later.

I've asked many people who currently eat wheat (in the form of bread mainly) if they could take wheat out of their diet and they say it's not possible! It's astonishing the excuses that people make. They struggle to think of an alternative to taking a sandwich to work, won't even contemplate it until you explain that wheat isn't as healthy as you think, especially in the form of mass produced bread and cereals. Learn how to take wheat out of your diet, using a book like this to help you find alternatives, and notice the difference. I used to have toast for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and as fresh bread is served with all meals here in Dalyan, Turkey, where we now live, often hot out of the oven with village herb or garlic butter - very hard to resist! I felt tired and sluggish in the morning after breakfast and could easily have gone back to bed and that's without the heat ie when it's 43 like it is today! So now I have more energy and simply by cutting out bread, never mind any other wheat products, I lost a few kilos in a week - unbelievable! So in addition to this book it might be worth your while reading another of Antoinette's books Lose Wheat, Lose Weight!

It's your life, your choice but books like this are written to help you!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Learn to Cook Wheat, Gluten and Dairy Free: 100 Step-by-step Recipes
Learn to Cook Wheat, Gluten and Dairy Free: 100 Step-by-step Recipes by Antoinette Savill (Paperback - 30 Oct 2009)