5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding tool for walk planning, 1 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Lake District Raised Relief Map: Light Wood Frame (Raised Relief Maps Series) (Map)
If you're not into maps, hill walking or the Lake District then this probably isn't for you. Well - I am - and it is.

Firstly it is a lovely thing. I'm sure it's mass-produced but the quality of the piece is very striking. The mapwork is excellent and the relief brings the Lake District to life. I've recieved a number of comments along these lines - including from non-walkers. It's also worth saying the it was well packaged and reached me safely - despite it's size and delicate nature.

The real value to me though is as a planning tool. Of course when planning walks or longer outings in the Lake District height gained and lost are just as important as distance travelled. For years now I've spent long hours working through OS maps, mapping software, books (including the Wainwright guides) and so on when planning rountes. A painstaking process and quite often not giving the required result.

This relief map has now become my main planning tool. I still use the other methods but now to tune plans already made. Starting from simply finding the next area of the Lakes to explore - this tool gives you this at a glance. Then onto planning good sites to camp (my preferred way to see the Lakes is by wild-camping - I tend to base camp somewhere in the hills and then explore the fells around), ridge routes and so on.

I couldn't recommend the item more highly. A great purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Looking good, 23 May 2013
Mr. M. D. Elcock "Michael Elcock" (Alveston, UK) - See all my reviews
Good price and looks good on the wall. A good planning tool. The map is an older OS map which surprised me.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic map xx, 30 Aug. 2014
fantastic present for my partner who loves the lake district! fast delivery and perfect xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Nov. 2014