5.0 out of 5 stars Let your mind out of it's cage
I cannot completely explain what this book has done for me, or how it has done it, but I'll have a go.

After you've read this I seriously recommend reading `Why People Fail' by Siimon Reynolds.

I'm a student and since reading this book, I have done the following:

-Gained 10lbs of muscle and lost 10lbs of fat.
-Learned everything I...
Published on 6 May 2012 by Elliott Starr

1.0 out of 5 stars Great book, if you are totally clueless
Published 4 months ago by r

5.0 out of 5 stars Let your mind out of it's cage, 6 May 2012

I'm a student and since reading this book, I have done the following:

-Gained 10lbs of muscle and lost 10lbs of fat.
-Learned everything I need to know about health, exercise and nutrition.
-Started waking up at 6am and arriving at my studio an hour early.
-Started meditating.
-Started visualising myself being successful every morning.
-Started stretching every morning.
-Started studying in depth; success, self actualisation, self improvement, psychology, philosophy, behavioural economics, social dynamics...essentially, anything that is about what makes people tick and what it means to be human.
-Learned to speed read and have gone from reading 150 words a minute to 600 words a minute.
-Learned about etiquette, fine dining and table manners.
-Stopped spending money on things I don't need.
-Saved £2000 for when I graduate and look for a job.
-Improved my cooking abilities.
-Stopped watching TV.
-Started reading at least 1 new book a week.
-Stopped being late to work and social events.
-Gone from sleeping 8-9 hours a night to 6 hours a night by learning about how to improve quality of sleep.
-Improved my self-confidence and my social skills.
-Improved my public speaking.
-Made dozens of contacts in the industry I intend to work in.
-Have contacted, shared my work with and become friendly with the most famous, respected and knowledgeable people in my industry.
-Figured out who I am, what I want and how and when I'm going to get it.
-Pursued my hobbies.
-Started taking risks in my work and my day-to-day life.
-Had my dissertation referenced in a book by a leading author.
-Started making daily, weekly and monthly to do lists that I actually do.
-Started listening to classical music.
-Have created some of the best work and written some of the best content of my life.
-Figured out what I was looking for in life, new friends and girlfriends.

The list really does go on. The reason I list these things is because it's the fastest, and the least corny or cliché way to communicate what this book does for you.

If you read and listen to it, believe it, understand it and actually follow the advice implemented on a daily basis, after a while, you just start doing things that you can't completely explain.

The only concept/theory I know of that comes close to explain the power of books like 'Think and Grow Rich' and 'Why People Fail' is about the brains RAS.

RAS stands for reticular activation system. (Covered in Reynolds' why people fail)

The simplest explanation of RAS I've ever read is 'Until you care about something, you don't notice it.'

For example; you go to a friend's house and they have a brand new car. You've not seen it anywhere else and it's from a manufacturer you've never heard of. Soon afterwards, you will start to see these cars everywhere. And it's because these cars now have value in your mind.

Another example is this: (Taken from Why People Fail)

"Take 15 seconds to look around the room at everything that is black in colour. Do that now before reading the next step.

Now without looking around the room again, see how many objects you can remember that are blue, white, brown."

Hard, isn't it? It's because I told you to look for black, so black has value. Blue, white and brown do not, however. The weirdest thing is that you still looked at all the blue, white and brown objects in the room, but they didn't have value and so you didn't process them.

"RAS works like this: because there are billions of pieces of information in the world, your brain has to choose which of them are useful and which aren't. For instance, if you're a keen tennis player your RAS will pick out articles in the newspaper about tennis, notice advertisements for tennis matches, or spot tennis shows on TV, even out of the corner of your eye. Because you've programmed your brain's RAS that tennis is important to you, it dutifully goes to work to bring you tennis related data. But imagine if you had no clear purpose for your life, your job, or your week. How could the RAS help you spot opportunities and see stuff of relevance for you? It couldn't."

Essentially, going through life without ever deciding, or even thinking about what you want, or how you might get it, is like navigating your way through the woods without a map. Exploring, getting lost, taking turns only to find they don't go anywhere is fun, but not for long. Eventually you're going to want to get out of the woods, and you're going to wish you had a map.

And at the end of the day, until you know how you personally define success, how can you ever truly be successful?

Is success lots of money? Or being happy in your career? Is it being the best at your job? Or being a great parent? These are the choices you have to make. Or have made for you.

The books philosophy is echoed in the sermon `How Bad Do You Want It?' by Eric Thomas.

If you care, really care, more than you care about 'being cool, or being popular or going to a party' about being successful, you will be.

It's not magic. It is your RAS organizing your thoughts, words and actions.

There is a quote:

"Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words.
Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny."

If you are a negative, pessimistic or self - limiting person, your RAS will work just as well. If you genuinely think you're a loser or that you're a failure, your RAS will bring you plenty of evidence to prove it.

`Think and Grow Rich' is of course, not a magic bullet. I think deep down we all know there's no such thing. In my eyes, there's no better way to succeed than just to get on with it.

But, you also have to believe in yourself. Not self-help, love yourself, you are beautiful type stuff (although that has value too.)

You have to truly believe that you are capable of doing the things you want to do and being the person you want to be.

Then work both hard and smart.

Can following the principles of books like `Think and Grow Rich' and `The Secret' re-arrange the universe to deliver to you that which you desire if you make no effort to attain it? I think not.

But can repeating your goals and how you're going to achieve them aloud every day prime and motivate you to achieve them? I can believe that.

Whilst this review may seem a tad over zealous in regards to attributing my achievements solely to 'Think and Grow Rich'... perhaps ignoring the hard work I've put in. I truly believe that the book has helped me to develop, and maintain; the grit necessary to get me where I want to be.

Everyone wants to believe in something and have that belief confirmed.

So...I affirm my goals every morning and like to believe that doing so helps me, even if only in some small way... to achieve them.

Is it just the book? No way. Do I think it helps? Definitely.

It really is a fantastic, inspiring book. Whether you walk away thinking it's principles work, or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book I've ever read, 16 July 2009
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
I first became aware of this book whilst listening to the audio-book of 'Millionaire Upgrade' by Richard Parkes Cordock. I was reluctant to purchase it however because of the poor reviews of the paperback version, which claimed that the text was of poor quality, amongst other things.

The first thing I will state is that this book is of the finest quality, you need not worry about its tangible condition, or indeed the quality of the information itself. The book contains an introduction by Tom Butler-Bowden (whose book 50 Self-Help Classics I intend to buy), which was very helpful, and it also contains the original text of 'Think And Grow Rich', which went out of copyright. It is pointed out that Napoleon Hill produced a revised, copyrighted edition, in 1960, however 'it is an abridgement which cuts out some of the interesting details in the original...'

As for the book itself and its content, I believe it to be the most important book I have ever read. I've read a few self-help books but none have touched me in the way that this has. As a Graduate, currently working in a minimum wage job, I feel like my life has lost its direction a bit and that I've been wandering aimlessly, but after reading the principles, in 'Think And Grow Rich', I believe that I can go now get my life back on track and I can make some positive plans for the future.

This won't happen overnight nor after reading the book only once, it will require daily application and persistence, and I suspect that my copy of 'Think And Grow Rich' will some become dog-eared from repetitive use! It's going to become my new handbook to living.

Having read other self-help books, I was already familiar with some of the principles, such as 'persistence' however there was quite alot of new material in 'Think And Grow Rich' which I was previously unfamiliar with. The Chapter on 'The Mystery of Sex Transmutation' was particularly interesting, as were the Chapters on 'Auto-Suggestion' and 'How to Outwit the Six Ghosts of Fear.'

The Author is clearly qualified having spent over 20 years of his life researching successful people and his work is endorsed by many distinguished figures such as Theodore Roosevelt, Thomas Edison and many many others.

One thing I found particularly interesting about the book, is that it was written at a time or not longer after, the Great Depression caused by the Wall Street Crash of 1929. Considering the recession we currently face, the book provides alot of hope: 'The "depression" was a blessing in disguise. It reduced the whole world to a new starting point that gives every one a new opportunity.'

It is cited as the Greatest Motivational Book of all time, on the back cover, and I would have to agree that it is certainly the most motivational I have ever read. The author's enthusiasm leaps out of the pages and you can't help but be inspired. The book requires alot of self-analysis and asks many probing questions, which really makes you think. I've read the book from cover to cover to get a feel for it but it's one I will be returning to again and again and studying in-depth.

I shall conclude my review as the Ralston Society conclude the book: 'No matter whether you are rich or poor-you have one asset as great as the richest man living-and that is time. But with each setting sun you become one day older; and have one day less in which to attain the success and wealth you desire....' Why wait any longer? The investment of money in this book is well worth it, but remember that you also have to invest much time and committment, in applying the principles to your life as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for motivation!, 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
This is the best self help book any entrepreneur could ever read. Perhaps the only one they need to. Truly transformative. I have it on audio too and listen to it at the gym often.

Napoleon Hill was tasked by Andrew Carnegie to write a book on what made a successful person succeed, and he spent 20 years researching and interviewing every great name of the day (Ford, Woolworth, Edison, etc), plus lots of people who failed (because you have to know what doesn't work too). This book is the result.

It basically hammers home a single point, over and over again. Success comes from knowing what you want to achieve and having a burning desire to achieve it.

"The starting point of all achievements is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desire brings weak results, just as a small fire makes a small amount of heat."

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 24 Nov. 2009
Michael Karma "Karma" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
I'm not your usual reviewer but wow I really enjoyed this book and I had to share my experience. I kind of discovered this book because I have been slowly buying my way through a number of the classics Butler-Bowdon recommends to see that he had re-issued a classic like this I thought I'd give it a try but when will he be ready to give us his own book.

The enjoyment I derived from this classic starts from even before I opened the cover the black book with pink band is not your usual package for a self help book but then this is no ordinary book. Just like its design it cuts through the washy sentimentalist thinking and gives you some directly applicable things that you can put to work in your life the instant you read it.

A good intro by Butler-Bowdon followed by one of the most powerful reads I've been engaged in. Whatever step you are on the ladder this one will take you one rung or maybe two higher. It surprisingly is not all about material riches but more about riches in the fullest sense and is littered with cases of some of the most successful people of its time. A read that can be helpful not just to the business men and women but also the college student, teen ager, single mother or unemployed; in fact every body.

As a stockbroker/FA half who has been through some turbulent times recently it is comforting to know that the book was penned in a similar if not harsher time and I think the timing of this book is great.

This book is a fantastic investment and will generate more over a month then its price, oh and watch out for a fantastic part on the success of Coco-cola under the section called the enchanted kettle. I wont spoil it for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great book, if you are totally clueless, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
Great book, if you are totally clueless. If you really have no idea at all where you are going wrong it will help but if you are already on the road to success there is no dynamite to be found here. Very much a beginners book. Also this book was written in America in the late 1920's or early 1930's, large parts are irrelevant if unless you live the extremely low cost of living that Americans live so its no good If you live in UK or Scandinavia for example.

Hill also bangs on allot about how things will be done in the future, well it is the future! - and things are not done like that.

It is also important to note that Hill did not make any real money in his life till he was nearly 50...

It has allot of small anecdotes, which are interesting, but really consider other books first.

5.0 out of 5 stars The "BIBLE" of manifesting your desires., 17 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
Quite a surprise that there are no reviews on this book.

So many self-help gurus will relate to this book as their foundation for their thinking. A lot of gurus like Bob Proctor, Vic Johnson, John Assaraf, etc have added their flavour to this book and have released their own books, but you'll realise that this is a well put together foundation of all that is available today.

Obviously, from the title the book is geared towards manifesting wealth, but this book explains in detail how to manifest anything you desire in life from health to wealth or even to meeting the ideal partner. The principles are all the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection, 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
It is a brilliant book quite simply with so much depth and many amazing mysteries and secrets. Some of the information in this book is known to many people but not applied and this book impresses upon you, the need to apply this in depth knowledge. It is absolutely brilliant. Also many of the principles in this book are in the Bible which I believe is the best and absolute best self help book of all time. *The word of God*
It also dives into details about the subconscious mind which is brilliant. Again with a link to the biblical verse that as a man thinketh in his heart so is he. Very powerful.

I rated this a 5 start because it is simply powerful. I can read it over and over and over and over again and never be bored of it because every time I read it again, though I have encountered much of the information before from the previous read, something new always jumps out at me in more depth and detail and applying that is simply spectacular in terms of the results it accumulates.

The product was delivered on time as well, just as was notified. I loved the service that got this book into my hands. Very professional.

I recommend this book to absolutely everyone. It is a real eye opener into the mysteries of life and the mind. It also challenge one to think and by think , I mean "think". It encourages you to focus on the inner conversation. That alone in itself can change ones life. Very powerful

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth reading, 2 May 2015
tallmanbaby (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Originally published in 1937, this must be one of the all time best sellers. It is one of the original self help books, and it still packs a considerable punch. I am guessing that the original title has passed into the public domain, hence the various versions available. This version is perfectly decent, with a short introduction that puts the book in context, minimal, if any, typos and the original full text.

Initially the book is about positive visualisation, and although excessively wordy, it is written in a direct style that is compelling and easy to read. The later parts of the book get increasingly bizarre, he is not exactly flicking away the gathering ectoplasm with his gutta percha cane, but things do get a bit odd. However some eccentric ideas and plentiful references to people that were famous then, but are little known now, just add to the period charm of the book.

At heart it is about adopting a positive mindset, being so fixed in your self belief and determination to succeed, with your goal so firmly in your mind, that some level of success seems almost inevitable. Although dated, there is still something important in here, and if you have not already done so, then it remains well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars An original classic indeed, 11 Mar. 2010
M. J. M. Riemslag "Marcel" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
All though dating from early last century, this book has insights which are really usefull nowadays. If that defines a classic, this is one of the best classics in management books I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I scratched my head and then realised..., 9 July 2013
Susan J. Smith (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic (Hardcover)
Many years ago I was given a copy of this book by a stranger. I wish I could tell her how great a present it was. I read it from cover to cover and was puzzled by most of the book until I realised what it was saying is that fundamentally what we think about is what we get. This is the principle of cognitive therapy, the work of Paul McKenna, Louise Hay, Rhonda Byrne and many others. As a therapist you will see threads of the same concept in my own book Emotional Health for Emotional Wealth: The View from A Therapist's Office

When I came on Amazon to do this review I found a tremendous gift to all readers - the kindle price of Think and Grow Rich makes it available to all now. Do give it a read. We need to be teaching our children worldwide about this way of looking at life. Please read and share the knowledge and the world can change.

Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic
Think and Grow Rich: The Original Classic by Napoleon Hill (Hardcover - 23 April 2009)