4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, beautifully-written and a fab mystery
Published 9 months ago by Michelle Cardozo

1.0 out of 5 stars The killing Woods
I really didn't like the way they chose to narrate this I found it more confusing trying to cope with the upkeep of the story. it was a good storyline spoiled by how its been presented. Think about this before buying.
Published 2 months ago by Markerp3n

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric, beautifully-written and a fab mystery, 26 Sep 2013
Michelle Cardozo (Wokingham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Paperback)
I absolutely loved The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher. I loved the characters and how conflicted they feel. I loved pulling apart the mystery of this novel. I loved the urgency of the novel and also the atmosphere. Those woods feel like one of the main characters of the book alongside Emily and Damon! And while I felt like there was a lot going on with this book I thought that all the different strands of the story were weaved together and written with beauty and emotion.

This story begins incredibly dramatically. We have Emily's dad returning from the woods, holding the body of a teenage girl. Because he's a veteran suffering from PTSD it is assumed by him as well as police that he killed this girl while living out a flashback. Emily doesn't believe this for a minute and sets out to find answers about what her dad was doing out in the woods and what reason this girl, Ashlee Parker, had to be out there as well.

At the same time, Damon, the murdered girl's boyfriend is waking up after a crazy night and he cannot recall the details of how he got to where he is. All of his memories are a bit fuzzy of the night before. The night when his girlfriend, Ashlee, has been killed. So Damon and Emily need to work together to fit the pieces of what happened together including a World War II bunker, a dog collar, and a dangerous game played in the woods...

As the story goes on, I thought I had a pretty good idea of what's been happening in these woods and of the characters that populate the story. And then another secret is revealed, another layer of the story unfolds and I found myself completely at the mercy of Lucy Christopher as she gives us new twists and a very unpredictable outcome. I was a bit breathless with anticipation throughout this book because of the amazing pace and the slow-but-steady build-up to the finale.

I thought Emily and Damon were brilliant characters. Emily is very determined and has very strong opinions on what she believes her dad capable of and it does not in any way include murder. Her stubborness to see that possibility was heart-breaking to read about, especially as some doubt does trickle in as she learns more of her father's mindset at the time. And Damon's doubt and uncertainty over what may or may not have happened made me feel a bit helpless on his behalf. Both of these characters are hoping for the best but are left staring into the possibility of darker things and at the same time I wanted the best for them both but it just doesn't seem likely... I was very emotionally invested in this story right from the start. The Killing Woods is an addictive and emotional story with a brilliant cast of characters and an unpredictable mystery. I highly recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fastpaced mystery, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Paperback)
Review: Emily’s dad walks in one night with a dying girl. He is then accused of manslaughter. She’s sure he’s innocent, but how can she prove it? To try, she enlists the help of Ashlee’s (the dead girl) boyfriend, Damon, who may know something about how Ashlee died. Together, they unravel the mystery.
I read this because 1)I got sent it for review and 2) so many people had been talking about how good it is and I had to know how good it was for myself.
The characters, I liked them to start with, but at times they were a bit dreary. I would have liked to know Emily a bit more other than the fact that her father is accused of manslaughter. I liked Damon, even though he is a bit crazy at times. I liked Emily’s father. I really like the fact that Lucy handles PSTD, drugs, and choices in what I think is a good way.
I loved the Game. I wanted to know what that involved, and all the little hints as to what it was built up well for the reveal.
I started to guess vague details from around two thirds of the way through. I ended up guessing the reasons for Ashlee’s death, but not who had done it.
The pacing was good. I didn’t get bored with the way that the mystery was unravelled at all- I really wanted to know what happened and I read this in one day.
I liked the writing. It moved the story on along really well and really built up the setting of Darkwood really well.

Overall: Strength 4 tea to a fast mystery that kept me gripped from the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars blow away !!, 11 April 2014
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Paperback)
This book is impossible to put down i was reading it pretty much all day! A wonderful mystery book! Recommended to people who love mystery !

5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 4 Mar 2014
Review by Adam - Year 7

The book is about a teenager, Emily, whose Dad is convicted of murdering a girl in the woods by her house however nobody knows what really happened. Her Dad used to be in the army but shot a civilian during a gunfight and now suffers from a post-traumatic stress disorder so people think he was having a flashback and did the same thing again. Emily tries to find the truth about what really happened. The book is written from two perspectives, Emily’s and a boy named Damon whose girlfriend is killed. They eventually start to work together to find the truth throughout the course of the novel.
My favourite part of the novel would be when they find the truth at the end of the book because everything was happening so quickly that I could hardly put the book down. My favourite characters are Emily and Damon because they are so similar to each other. They both have lost someone close to them, they both want to find the truth and they don’t know what is really going on. There was nothing I dislike about this book but I think there was a little too many unnecessary swear words within the book. I think I would read another one of Lucy’s books again.
I would recommend this to my friends but not to readers younger than twelve due to bad language and inappropriate scenes. Other than the bad language I have no other issues about the book. I would rate this book 5 star as I couldn’t put this book down, it is a real page turner.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good idea, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Paperback)
I think Lucy christopher has come up with a good idea. I do feel aso this book is more for teenagers to read. One saturday night in August a Father Jon Shepherd returns back from the woods carrying home a dead girl Ashlee Parker and lays her on the kitchen table. Jon was a war damaged soldier with flashbacks who has a bunker set in the Darkwood Forest. He found Ashlee in the wood and has no idea what happened to her. Jon is to be convicted for either manslaughter or sent for trail for the murder of Ashlee. Emily is convinced her father is innocent and has a connection in the story to Damon the boyfriend of Ashlee. Damon struggles to remember what happened that evening that he and Ashlee were in the woods together playing a dangerous game before she was killed.

4.0 out of 5 stars The killing Woods, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Kindle Edition)
This book is gripping, it is full of mysteries entailed in one another.
I feel it is for the ages of 14 and above as it contains quite disturbing imagery but a very good read and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Killing Woods, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this newly launched book. Found the plot interesting and the solid characters kept me engrossed so that I read it in quick time.
I think it would make a decent film and I would recommend buying a copy of this to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping thriller for teenagers, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Paperback)
An edgy thriller, perfect for teenagers. Full of mystery and intrigue and what better setting than the woods to really heighten the thrill factor. The perfect Christmas gift idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Paperback)
A great story, well written, tense and suspenseful......a great read. Would make a fantastic film. I can highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars The killing Woods, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Killing Woods (Audio CD)

The Killing Woods
The Killing Woods by Lucy Christopher (Paperback - 3 Oct 2013)
5.59