4.0 out of 5 stars The Crowfield Curse
Pat Walsh's atmospheric debut offering is a historical fantasy with a magical twist. Gone are the expected swords and battles, and in their place are mysterious angels and loveable hobs.

A hob is a fay creature, with similar physical attributes to that of a fox. They can hold conversations as well as the next human, and prove quite useful when unravelling...
Published on 23 Jan 2010 by Jenny, Wondrous Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to our expectations
Published on 2 Aug 2010 by Jack M

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it and can't wait to read The Crowfield Demon, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
I wish I had read this book as a child. It has everything. Intrigue, mystery, darkness but, most of all, a powerful message about compassion. I loved it and can't wait to read The Crowfield Demon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and thought provoking, 31 Mar 2010
Ellie (ELSDON, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
Other reviewers have said everything you need to make a decision. But a book this good can't be ignored by me, so my comment is that it has left me with lots to think about. It won't simply sit back down on the shelf. It has layers of meaning and lots of wonderful characters who live on after the last page is over. I hear there's a sequel coming and I shall be the first to buy it. I read loads of children's books each year (they out-rate adult books usually) and I love many of them, but this has something extra - hence this comment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great to see something different, 6 May 2011
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
I read this book on the strength of the cover. I thought it looked interesting and right up my street - and it was!

I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover but I am glad I did on this occasion.

This is a very inventive and unique story and it is refreshing to see new writing emerge rather than the 'same old, same old' that we seem to get nowadays. I didn't feel like I had heard any of this before and I enjoyed reading about the monks who are woven into the story.

Set in 1347 we get a taste of what life was like for monks of that time and learn a thing or two about their daily life along the way. Our main character, Will, was taken in by the monks and has now settled in to their routine. One day, while Will is out collecting firewood, he comes across a strange creature in the woods. Will rescues the creature and brings him to the abbey. Will learns of a great secret about a fallen angel which is buried at Crowfield and when two strange visitors arrive at the abbey Will finds himself on a dangerous journey to find this heavenly creature.

I did find the plot a little predictable at times and couldn't really empathise with Will as I felt his character was a little weak, but this is from an adult perspective. I would absolutely 100% recommend this for children and I can guarantee they will love it.

I have recently finished the second book in this series and found that to be just as exciting. Please take a look, it is called The Crowfield Demon. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Medieval Thriller for Teens, 30 Mar 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this Medieval supernatural thriller. It is written for teenagers, but don't let this put you off in the slightest. The writing is fluid and at times beautiful. Walsh sets the scene of the medieval monastery perfectly, and there is a good glossary and timetable of the monks' day at the end of the book if there are terms or ideas the reader is unfamiliar with. The story of Will and his unwilling apprenticeship at the sinister Crowfield Abbey is well told with plenty of suspenseful moments and good twists and turns. The supernatural/faerie element is not too twee,and is in fact quite dark and menacing in places.

The story is well told, satisfying to read and there is the hint at the end of a sequel to follow, which I will definitely be reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good début, 10 Feb 2010
J. Sutton (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
We all know the saying, "never judge a book by its cover", but I have to admit that the cover is exactly the reason I picked the book up in the first place! It's a children's book, but don't let that put you off.

This book began life as a short story, entered for a newspaper competition. It came second to Flood Child [also published under the title Reavers' Ransom] by Emily Diamand and is aimed at ages 8+.

William, orphaned when a fire swept through the family's mill, has the gift of `sight'. He can see things that other humans can't. Taken in by monks, William lives a mundane life in Crowfield monastery, running errands for the brothers and sleeping on the kitchen floor.

It's not a bad life though, William has a good friend in Brother 'Snail', and the monks aren't actually unkind to him - he is grateful to have a roof over his head.

One day, whilst gathering firewood, William rescues an injured `hob' (a magical creature - from the description of it, I imagined a lemur-like animal), and takes it back to the monastery to help it recover. The hob tells William a secret about exactly what is hidden in the grave, and when two strange men arrive who are also looking for the grave, so begins an adventure in which William will encounter dark magic in his quest to break the curse.

I loved the descriptions in this book. The monastery is a severe place and the book is set in winter and the author paints a convincing bleak, cold picture of what William's life was like which almost makes the reader feel cold too!

Some parts of it feel like they are borrowed from other authors (J K Rowling and William Mayne spring to mind) but there are only fleeting similarities and they don't spoil the story at all.

The main theme is that of good versus evil, and obviously due to its setting religion features quite a lot, but despite that the book is not at all preachy.

A very good début novel. Recommended. :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 14 Feb 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
I was a bit iffy to buy this book in waterstones. It was on sale 3 for 2 and it looked quite good. I just wasn't sure it was my type. I was totally wrong!! This book is brilliant!I learnt a bit about monks as well. William, the narrator is a normal character unlike some other characters in the book. Which makes the book even more interesting. If your a bit iffy of getting this book then I would say go for yes not no. I really liked it. If your looking at this review now and wondering to get The Crowfield curse, my advice is add it to your amazon basket!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read..., 7 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
I'm not going to leave a long review as other reviewers have done a much better job than I could. I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this book although when I was first given the book I didn't realise that the book was a part of a series but I was happy to find out that it was, looking forward to the next instalment and I really recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dip into another world, 25 Mar 2010
Elizabeth Westray "liz-westray" (Middle England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
A wonderful story, full of mysteries. Deeply rooted in it's time - you can almost feel the details of the Abbey - it's also a great dark fantasy.My son, my nephew and I are itching for the next book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to our expectations, 2 Aug 2010
Jack M (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
Although we were taken with the idea of this story I found this book somewhat disappointing and lacking in depth. The plot was predictable and the writing a little stilted. The story as a whole was a bit disjointed and tried to bring together various themes, sometimes not very successfully. The historical elements were superficial compared to books such as the Blood Red Horse, where the details were rich and believable, and so did not work for me. On the plus side, the characters were well drawn and engaging which helped to make this a pleasant read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good mix of history and magic, 31 Mar 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The Crowfield Curse (Paperback)
I wanted to read this book because it was set in the 1300's. This isn't a time I know anything about. I really liked William and felt sorry for him, and was relieved when one of the brothers in the monastery took care of him. The history and adventure and the magic worked very well together.

It was a fast read, because the adventure went right along. I thought it was a very cool book set in an interesting time.

The Crowfield Curse
The Crowfield Curse by Pat Walsh (Paperback - 4 Jan 2010)