5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly Easy - and interesting too!
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by Miss Chisholm

3.0 out of 5 stars great recipes...
not so organised though! no nutritional information so you can end up eating a dinner that is just 200kcal! the recipes jump from 'serves 1' to 'serves 4' to 'serves 3' which can be confusing (for me) at times!

the recipes are fantastic, tasty and nutritious though! can't knock that.
Published 4 months ago by Essex Elle

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly Easy - and interesting too!, 9 Jun 2012
Miss Chisholm "Redmagda" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honestly Healthy: Eat with your body in mind, the alkaline way (Hardcover)
This book is inspiring... I've had it less than 24 hours and I've already made two recipes! The premise of the book is tagged as "alkaline" - however, this really wasn't my main reason for buying it. I am gluten/cow's milk intolerant and was hoping to find some healthy recipes I could adapt - not knowing that gluten ans cow's milk are two of the the things that the authors encourage avoiding. The book is also vegetarian, which I am not, though in these frugal times it's useful to have interesting and delicious meals that you can cook well without expensive meat/fish. I'd happily serve these at a "normal" dinner party - might even invite my vege mates round just so I can show off!

All the recipes are very accessible - I had most of the ingredients in my kitchen already - you may have to invest in some specialist flours and consider where you may find some "goats cheddar" (I found mine in my local supermarket with much surprise!) - and I suggest you buy some raw cacao powder and make the chocolate mousse (with the strange green ingredient) because it is absolutely to die for - and 100% guilt free! The instructions are clear and easy to follow - if you have a small understanding of food prep you'll find them a doddle.

The authors have clearly thought this through - and not just jummped on a band wagon to bang a drum, the "pitch" is sensible and doesn't make sensationalist promises. I have a collection of healthy eating diet and cookery books to rival the stock here in Amazon and this is absolutely the best one I have found so far. It's practical as well as being beautifully presented and a book I will buy to give as a gift in future. If this is what the authors/producers were going for then they have hit the nail on the head! VERY well done! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Food. That's it!, 19 Mar 2013
I'm a frequent Amazon consumer.. Yet this is my second ever review... Tells you something!

This book is just wonderful. There is a great introductory section on why an alkaline diet is healthy for you, and lists the good, the bad and the ugly in acidic terms.

The recipes, however, are why I have come here to write to you. I've had the book for 3 weeks, and most of our dinners and lunches have been made from the recipes here. They are probably the tastiest meals we've ever had. A couple of them I've made many times already as they are just so delicious (the HH sunday breakfast to name one!). The best bit.... My toddler loves them! They are very different to any other cookbook I've ever bought, the ingredients sound a bit strange to be mixing with each other, but each time I make a recipe I'm really surprise with just how good it tastes. I am a keen cook, and buy lots of recipe books - but usually I make one or two recipes and then the book gets shelved. Not so with HH - I am really looking forward to making even more of these lovely dishes.

Expect to be buying plenty of fresh vegetables, take a stab at making your own bread, some healthy baking ideas and enjoying fab cheeses. The book is vegetarian, but you can always add baked chicken or fish to some of them - which is what we do.

I disagree with the reviewers who say the ingredients are hard to come by and too expensive. Most of the items can be found at Sainsburys - including Agave Syrup (look in the sugar aisle). Other items like Himalyan Rose Pink Salt - comes in at 2.99 in Holland & Barratts... in the same size pot as rock salt would cost you 1 in Sainsburys. Now, I realise that's a high mark-up... But at the quantities you will use this item... It will last for ages so is worth the outlay. And if you don't fancy it... Well use the rock salt! :-)

I didn't have to buy too many extra things for these recipes, and everything was found in the supermarket or H&B (and if you care for your health, you're most likely a semi-regular shopper at H&B anyway!).

In honesty, the smoothie section is probably out of our price range - but then smoothie sections are in any recipe book, so I'm not taking away points for that.

I bought this book because I take the nutritional needs of myself and my young son seriously and I've recently been looking into the benefits of an alkaline diet as an immune strengthening exercise. My PH balance is much better after using this cookbook for the majority of our meals. I'm a single parent on a low wage, so if I can afford to cook from this book, then you can. It's about prioritising. I'd rather feed my son good healthy food with the best ingredients I can afford than buy him branded clothing / crisps / magazines etc. And you can always get the fresh veg from a market to save money :-)

We've just tucked into the fennel & halloumi salad with cranberries: delicious.

I urge you to buy this book, I don't think you will be disappointed! Good luck, one life :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes, 1 Nov 2012
Carrie (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have to say I am only writing this review because I did not agree with the other reviews I read on Honestly Healthy. The recipes in this book are really delicious and if you are new to alkaline eating it will inspire you to continue and persevere. Some of the ingredients are a bit weird, and expensive, like yacon syrup, coconut flour and sea vegetables but any good health food shop will have these or get them in for you. It is true, they recommend a very expensive liquidiser but that's only if you need to buy one and then you don't have to buy the one they suggest. They also say to upgrade in stages and change over to this method of eating gradually so it is up to you how far you take it. Personally, I feel so much better having cut out sugar and made my diet alkaline that it is really worth it. I have left one star off because I would have liked a more comprehensive list of foods with their acid/alkaline values, but i have had to search the internet for this. It has been a bit pricey setting up my store cupboard with more nuts and seeds, fruits and grains etc but it has been fun and nothing has been wasted - it is all delicious. It takes time to get all the information into your daily practice and to change the habits of a lifetime but I'd say this book makes it seem possible. I'm really glad I bought it and recommend it to others keen to eat more healthily.

3.0 out of 5 stars great recipes..., 16 Mar 2014
Essex Elle (Essex / London) - See all my reviews

the recipes are fantastic, tasty and nutritious though! can't knock that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if you're on a budget, 1 Aug 2012
On the plus side, the book contains lovely photos and the layout is well presented.

Unfortunately most recipes require at least one unusual, hard to get a hold of and often expensive ingredient - Himalayan pink salt, rice syrup, agave syrup, lucuma powder, maca powder, xylitol to name but a few. I also find it a tad annoying that the authors use this as an opportunity to plug their favourite make of blender and juicer as well as listing a dehydrator as recommended kitchen equipment.

This isn't a book for an average person with a kitchen full of average equipment and on an average budget looking to try out some healthy recipes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not That Healthy, 12 Feb 2014
I just received this book and hope I can return it, as after flipping through the intro I found the authors recommend certain "healthy" foods that are anything but.

I was so excited when I ordered this book, as I recently read another book about alkaline eating and adopted a lot of the principles. However, many of the recipes in this book call for agave syrup, which is marketed as a healthy and natural, yet is ultimately a highly processed sweetener containing more fructose than high fructose corn syrup. There is typically 90% fructose in agave! High fructose usually contains 55% and we all know how awful that is! Soy products, like soy milk and tofu, are also referenced despite the negative effects they have on our health.

Sure, the recipes look great but I question the authors' credibility if they are telling readers to use the ingredients I discussed above.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, 10 Jun 2014
Mrs. J. Bryant "j bryant" (england) - See all my reviews
Quite interesting but some unrealistic advice and ingredients of you live near a fresh food organic place. In my dream I would be able to live like this book. But not with my lifestyle at the moment

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 10 Jan 2014
Interesting read, but the recipes are a little unrealistic to incorporate into everyday life. Good if you're looking to really commit to an alkaline diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of great recipes, 23 Oct 2013
Very enjoyable book the recipes and photos sound and look really scrumptious, my only criticism is that a large number of the ingredients used, I had never heard of, and are probably only available in very well stocked specialist health food shops.

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, 19 Mar 2013
I love this book! i've been making a few recipes from it for a girls' lunch party, and it scored!

Honestly Healthy: Eat with your body in mind, the alkaline way
10.00