5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly Easy - and interesting too!
Published on 9 Jun 2012 by Miss Chisholm

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Interesting read, but the recipes are a little unrealistic to incorporate into everyday life. Good if you're looking to really commit to an alkaline diet.
Published 7 months ago by Ella Chipchase

5.0 out of 5 stars Honestly Easy - and interesting too!, 9 Jun 2012
Miss Chisholm "Redmagda" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Honestly Healthy: Eat with your body in mind, the alkaline way (Hardcover)
This book is inspiring... I've had it less than 24 hours and I've already made two recipes! The premise of the book is tagged as "alkaline" - however, this really wasn't my main reason for buying it. I am gluten/cow's milk intolerant and was hoping to find some healthy recipes I could adapt - not knowing that gluten ans cow's milk are two of the the things that the authors encourage avoiding. The book is also vegetarian, which I am not, though in these frugal times it's useful to have interesting and delicious meals that you can cook well without expensive meat/fish. I'd happily serve these at a "normal" dinner party - might even invite my vege mates round just so I can show off!

All the recipes are very accessible - I had most of the ingredients in my kitchen already - you may have to invest in some specialist flours and consider where you may find some "goats cheddar" (I found mine in my local supermarket with much surprise!) - and I suggest you buy some raw cacao powder and make the chocolate mousse (with the strange green ingredient) because it is absolutely to die for - and 100% guilt free! The instructions are clear and easy to follow - if you have a small understanding of food prep you'll find them a doddle.

The authors have clearly thought this through - and not just jummped on a band wagon to bang a drum, the "pitch" is sensible and doesn't make sensationalist promises. I have a collection of healthy eating diet and cookery books to rival the stock here in Amazon and this is absolutely the best one I have found so far. It's practical as well as being beautifully presented and a book I will buy to give as a gift in future. If this is what the authors/producers were going for then they have hit the nail on the head! VERY well done! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Food. That's it!, 19 Mar 2013
I'm a frequent Amazon consumer.. Yet this is my second ever review... Tells you something!

This book is just wonderful. There is a great introductory section on why an alkaline diet is healthy for you, and lists the good, the bad and the ugly in acidic terms.

The recipes, however, are why I have come here to write to you. I've had the book for 3 weeks, and most of our dinners and lunches have been made from the recipes here. They are probably the tastiest meals we've ever had. A couple of them I've made many times already as they are just so delicious (the HH sunday breakfast to name one!). The best bit.... My toddler loves them! They are very different to any other cookbook I've ever bought, the ingredients sound a bit strange to be mixing with each other, but each time I make a recipe I'm really surprise with just how good it tastes. I am a keen cook, and buy lots of recipe books - but usually I make one or two recipes and then the book gets shelved. Not so with HH - I am really looking forward to making even more of these lovely dishes.

Expect to be buying plenty of fresh vegetables, take a stab at making your own bread, some healthy baking ideas and enjoying fab cheeses. The book is vegetarian, but you can always add baked chicken or fish to some of them - which is what we do.

I disagree with the reviewers who say the ingredients are hard to come by and too expensive. Most of the items can be found at Sainsburys - including Agave Syrup (look in the sugar aisle). Other items like Himalyan Rose Pink Salt - comes in at 2.99 in Holland & Barratts... in the same size pot as rock salt would cost you 1 in Sainsburys. Now, I realise that's a high mark-up... But at the quantities you will use this item... It will last for ages so is worth the outlay. And if you don't fancy it... Well use the rock salt! :-)

I didn't have to buy too many extra things for these recipes, and everything was found in the supermarket or H&B (and if you care for your health, you're most likely a semi-regular shopper at H&B anyway!).

In honesty, the smoothie section is probably out of our price range - but then smoothie sections are in any recipe book, so I'm not taking away points for that.

I bought this book because I take the nutritional needs of myself and my young son seriously and I've recently been looking into the benefits of an alkaline diet as an immune strengthening exercise. My PH balance is much better after using this cookbook for the majority of our meals. I'm a single parent on a low wage, so if I can afford to cook from this book, then you can. It's about prioritising. I'd rather feed my son good healthy food with the best ingredients I can afford than buy him branded clothing / crisps / magazines etc. And you can always get the fresh veg from a market to save money :-)

We've just tucked into the fennel & halloumi salad with cranberries: delicious.

I urge you to buy this book, I don't think you will be disappointed! Good luck, one life :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - I love this book, 9 Mar 2013
Packed with practical advice and in-depth, but well explained, science behind the theory of eating an alkaline diet to improve health. Well laid out with useful diagrams, tables and images. There's a menu planner, exercise advice and tip boxes. The authors, a nutritional therapist and a professional vegetarian chef, clearly know their stuff. Recipes are fantastic and really appeal to me. They include:

Breakfasts:
Green and fruit smoothies - various flavours
Buckwheat Pancakes

Pak Choi Parcels
Falafel Wraps
Patty Pan Canapes
Aubergine Pesto Rolls
A wide range of interesting soups and salads

Mains:
Pizzas with various unusual toppings (e.g. roasted beetroot, garlic and feta)
Layered Vegetable Bake

Coconut Balls
Cookies
Cheesy Kale Crisps
Coconut Cake
Breads - a variety using interesting flavours and grains
Dips and Crackers

Desserts:
Polenta Cake
Chocolate Mousse (made with avocado!)
Sweet Potato Brownies
Poached Pears with Cashew Cream
Chocolate Superfood Ganache
Lemon and Poppyseed Almond Cake
Lychee, Mango and Basil Sorbet
Ice Creams - a range of tempting flavours, e.g. Strawberry and Coconut, Toffe Crunch

Hope you enjoy the book as much as I have.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 10 Jan 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed..., 28 Aug 2014
Ms. D. M. Rose "dawnrose7" (London) - See all my reviews
Having been eating clean and lean for a while now I bought this book for the recipes, as the food involved is generally the same. So far I've been really disappointed. Lots of the recipes have specialist health food shop ingredients and involve expensive equipment, they're also a bit faffy, e.g making your own nut milks is long winded and seriously expensive. But that aside the recipes just really aren't very nice.
Fennel and pear soup tastes bitter, I was really looking forward to the quinoa flake porridge - awful. I enjoyed the caramelised pear and lentil salad tho its faffy to make, and the raw chocolate mousse is good but ultimately I feel a bit underwhelmed. If you're not veggie give the clean and lean cookbook by James duigan a go, the recipes are a lot tastier!

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, 19 Mar 2013
I love this book! i've been making a few recipes from it for a girls' lunch party, and it scored!

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 31 Dec 2012
Was alittle disappointed with this having seen some recipes published in a magazine ithought it would fit in with our usual meals and we would eat a healthier diet..However this is quite a specialist diet with ingredients and equipment that are expensive and not things you would buy every day> I think if you were cooking for one or two it might be achievable but it did not fit in with my hectic famiky life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 2 Nov 2012
Wonderful recipes, straightforward & informative advice in knowing what to eat & beautiful photography. Great must have book for anyone that wants to know what they're putting in their body.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes, 1 Nov 2012
Carrie (Dorset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have to say I am only writing this review because I did not agree with the other reviews I read on Honestly Healthy. The recipes in this book are really delicious and if you are new to alkaline eating it will inspire you to continue and persevere. Some of the ingredients are a bit weird, and expensive, like yacon syrup, coconut flour and sea vegetables but any good health food shop will have these or get them in for you. It is true, they recommend a very expensive liquidiser but that's only if you need to buy one and then you don't have to buy the one they suggest. They also say to upgrade in stages and change over to this method of eating gradually so it is up to you how far you take it. Personally, I feel so much better having cut out sugar and made my diet alkaline that it is really worth it. I have left one star off because I would have liked a more comprehensive list of foods with their acid/alkaline values, but i have had to search the internet for this. It has been a bit pricey setting up my store cupboard with more nuts and seeds, fruits and grains etc but it has been fun and nothing has been wasted - it is all delicious. It takes time to get all the information into your daily practice and to change the habits of a lifetime but I'd say this book makes it seem possible. I'm really glad I bought it and recommend it to others keen to eat more healthily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great BOOK!, 5 Mar 2013
I really love this book is full of very good recipes and very good pictures! Very tasty food and also my hubby that doesn't particularly like veggies...he loves a lot of recipes here!

Honestly Healthy: Eat with your body in mind, the alkaline way
8.00