5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning decor book for the uninitiated!
Published 20 months ago by bluebellgirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but lacks detail
Published 19 months ago by Anita Lowe

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring but lacks detail, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Decorate Workshop: A Creative 8 Step Process for Transforming Your Home (Hardcover)
I've found myself returning to this book to get ideas and inspiration for decorating and up-cycling projects, in the way that I would back issues of interiors magazines. The photos are high quality, though on close examination there is little difference in the style of rooms featured and we do get to see rather a lot of the author's work/study/blogging/studio area, from a number of different angles. It is clear that the author has a style she prefers and the homes shown fit within quite a narrow band. Some principles of design and room layout would have been useful and more specifics on scale, perspective, even a colour wheel to illustrate or refer to. So, a lovely book, full of colour and photos, and some good advice about 'shopping your rooms' for things you already possess but the cod psychology and platitudes about 'being true to who you are' wear a bit thin after chapter 3. Plus, I probably don't need to be told that hand crafted artisan furniture and 'objets' are likely to be more expensive than something I buy in a department store. I was looking for more practical input.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning decor book for the uninitiated!, 17 Jan 2013
I was gifted this book from my wishlist! I am so glad they chose this one even though I am no stranger to interior design. Holly Becker has created a beautifully, well planned and photographed instruction book for someone who wants to decorate but might not have an interior design background. It's filled with lovely photographs to entice the reader and I love the way each chapter has space for writing your own ideas down with prompts courtesy of Holly. There is also a reference guide at the back of the book. It's creatively written and displayed and a joy to read and re-read. If you're doing up your own apartment or home for the first time, don't have a clue about interiors or how to go about it, this book is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real treat, 24 Dec 2012
I ordered this book for a friend for christmas and have had to order another one as decided to keep one for myself. The book is a great book to dip in and out off and really does give practical advice on how to decorate using different colours and fabrics. Some books are too waffly but this one is a joy to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creative Inspiration, 17 Dec 2012
I adore this book. Being an avid reader of Holly Becker's wonderful blog Decor8 it is a joy to be able to flick through the pages of this most delightful of home decorating books. However Decorate workshop goes above and beyond the average home decor book and leads the reader effortlessly through a simple 8 step process from initial inspiration all the way through to the completion of a gorgeously decorated room. There are so many tips and creative thoughts,beautiful photography, as well as real down to earth practical pointers along the way,it cannot fail to inspire confidence and creativity in all those wanting to to create a beautiful home.

5.0 out of 5 stars The eight step programme, 16 Nov 2012
Holly Becker's Decorate Workshop is a straightforward eight-step plan on how to get going on decorating your home so it reflects who you are. You're encouraged to find out and define what it is that you love about the things around you - smells, colours, textures and so on - so that you can get clear about how to design and colour the space around you. If you think you're going to read the book in a few hours then pop out to buy paint and furniture, you're probably going to be disappointed. If, however, you want to be sure about your colour and furnishing choices, have a cohesive feel to your home and avoid wasting money on purchases that don't fit in, then this is going to put a smile on your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusually good on the design process and personal imput, 28 July 2014
trishthedish (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was looking for a book which would encourage me to think outside the box and this was it. Although I have art school traning, its still not always easy to realise where your ideas come from or why. I have some wonderfully bright and cheerful (but highly traditional) watercolours in gold frames which I was beginning to feel didn't go with my own creative work or other modern decorative items. Advising a student or friend with this dilemma might be easy, but try it for yourself and its sometimes hard to see the wood from the trees. Holly provided that outside, impartial voice I was looking for; it felt like I was discussing my problems with a fellow art graduate, more than reading an over stylised, pretty pictures book, of which there are plenty already out there. I disagree with some readers who talk about pop psychology in the book; rather the way she breaks things down early on, to get you to really look inside yourself, at your own tastes and who you are - that is vital for any type of authenticity. Its also the way we're taught to approach any design subject in art school - again to make work highly relevant to us, or the client, and I was glad of these timely reminders. The exercises involved in writing answers to questions - what you loved as a child, etc, and making the storyboards, were vital as a component. Without this thought and inward reflection, results can be very bland and predictable - the stock coastal style, neutral with texture, the crystal, dark wood and trad paintings, etc. I am less worried now that I have a hodge-podge collection of odd things, but rather a creative collection of interesting pieces and am slowly working out how to put them together in a new home. My only slight criticism if any, is that the look is a bit young all round. I guess this is not surprising as the author and her contemporaries are youngish, but I am not, and think I need to make the style slightly more grown up (but not sensible or heaven bid, suberban M and S looking!). This is a great starting point and I feel, quite an unusual decor book, in that it has a solid underpinning. I would recommend anyone looking for their own style, needing a home facelift or starting again to buy this book, you couldn't do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye candy, 17 Nov 2012
I read Holly Becker's blog for several years now and i am a huge fan. This book was everything i expected it to be. True eye candy, lovely photos and ideas!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful and practical guide to decorating your home, 16 Nov 2012
Km Sadler - See all my reviews
Decorate Workshop centres around home design, but I think could really be used for any creative endeavour you are working on.

Throughout the book, Holly aims to find out what your likes and dislikes are in various aspects of your life and then pushes you to work out what it is that you love about it. So, if there is a coffee shop that you love to read in, or a movie you think is beautiful, or a song that puts you in a certain mood, she asks you to work out what it actually is that you like about it. Do you like the coffee shop because of the artwork or the smell or the light? And can you pull any of these feelings or scents back into your real life and help them inspire your interior decorations?

By approaching design this way, you can find your own personal style, rather than something that is being handed to you through a design magazine or interior designer. You aren't encouraged to ape Holly's style, lovely though it is, you're encouraged to go out and find out who YOU are and how your style can reflect this.

Of course the book is absolutely stunning, filled with beautiful homes, including Holly's. But it's also full of great, practical advice. We are planning to update our kitchen very soon (like, in the next couple of months) and it completely changed my approach to this. I realised that although we knew what we could afford, we hadn't actually taken a lot of time to plan out exactly how we are going to do it. We're now taking a step back to think through every aspect of the kitchen a little bit more and take a bit more time to research and get inspired by what we could do.

An absolute treat of a book and really worth buying for anyone who is planning any kind of interiors project.

I originally posted this review on Shoestring Splendour: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great find!, 21 Jan 2014
I adore Holly Becker, her blog is stunning and this book talks you through the design process so simply anyone can do it

5.0 out of 5 stars more, 16 Oct 2013
got this for a birthday gift for one of my girls, she said it was just what she wanted, will buy again.

Decorate Workshop: A Creative 8 Step Process for Transforming Your Home