5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners and more experienced knitters alike., 26 April 2013
This review is from: The Knitted Home: Creative and Contemporary Projects for Interiors (Hardcover)
t's rare that I read a knitting 'pattern' book from cover to cover but the combination of Ruth Cross's words and the beautiful matte pages, styled and photographed by Ben Anders has kept me hooked and I've almost finished reading it. Ruth's ethos totally resonates with me:

"In a world of shiny surfaces, flat pack furniture, clean lines and wanting everything done yesterday, the craft of hand knitting holds a very special place.... Everyone has their own reasons for knitting, but the most unexpected is also one of the most attractive - it takes time. The quietly meditative process of building something with your own hands is a reason in itself to learn, let alone the beautiful things you can create and be truly proud of."

Interestingly she first learned to knit on a pair of chopsticks and her technique is somewhat unconventional - for example her knit stitches are actually "knit through the back loop" stitches (something I also find more natural and had to train myself NOT to do) and there are some variations to other instructions too. Her background is in designing organic freeform work and so the patterns in The Knitted Home are intended as inspiration rather than something to faithfully reproduce, although you can if you want to. This is a book about texture and experimentation.

You are encouraged to do what feels good and have some fun with your knitting and to try things out. Ruth goes as far as to say that any "bendy strip" is a yarn and can be knit with, so to give it a go. I really love this approach - my own simple designs are most often presented as recipes, so it sits really well with me. This is my favourite knitting book to date. Even if you're not into improv, the patterns in the book are beautiful and there are many designs I would love to see in my own home.

This review originally appeared on my blog [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 25 Jun. 2013
Just what I was looking for. Perfect. Excellent book and excellent service. Recommended.Lots of great projects to knit for the home.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delghtful!, 2 Aug. 2013
More for someone with know how. But the inexperienced can also use it. I love the grey cushion and have just completed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant but.., 18 Dec. 2013
Love this book inspirational so much so that I ordered Knits at Home however the copy I received is the same book as The Knitted Home with a different cover!! Shame

5.0 out of 5 stars Good BOok, 9 Jun. 2014
I love this book I have already marked the things I want to make. Lots of choice for those who are new to knitting and the more experienced knitter. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely piece to add to my small collection, 29 Oct. 2014
Great - Just what I have been looking for - now I can continue to design and knit in other areas ...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book for Keeps, 21 Nov. 2013
I bought this after having taken it out of my library for about six months! Amazing, easy to do, ideas for home soft furnishings which can be adapted to every taste. I've already done a few items and plan to do a lot more. I'd seriously recommend this for everyone with a notion to make their own cushions/throws etc. You don't have to be an experienced knitter either because this book shows you HOW and that anyone can make them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 26 Jan. 2015
L. M. Wood (Wales) - See all my reviews
Bought as a present and well received.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get knitting, 16 Jun. 2013
This is a beautiful book. I'm just about to start the cushions. Lots of unique ideas to enhance the home

The Knitted Home: Creative and Contemporary Projects for Interiors