4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely patterns

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but limited, 9 April 2013
Mal Page "Mal Page" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Knit Vintage: More than 20 patterns for starlet sweaters & other knitwear from the 1930s, 1940s & 1950s (Hardcover)
As many reviewers have already stated, this is a thing of beauty and lovely to look at. The designs are very pretty and feminine and the models are styled in a vintage way to show off the outfits to perfection. It is a great coffee table book and a lovely 'read'. Others have also spotted numerous mistakes. I can't comment on that as I've only just got the book and haven't attempted anything. However, I would like to point out some other features/limitations which may affect your decision to purchase.
The designs are all for women. That might seem obvious but, if you expect your vintage knitting book to contain some Captain Hastings-style sweaters or wartime baby knits, this is not the book for you.
The designs mostly use very fine wool and small needles e.g. 4 ply and 3-3.75mm. I realise that patterns of the 30s and 40s tended to use such yarn but this book does include the 50s which saw more jackets and chunkier knits. I'm not expecting 20mm needles but some Dk or aran patterns would be nice.
Similarly, the patterns are rather small in that they mostly go up to a 38" bust or there abouts. If you are making a vintage style knitting book for modern times, then the patterns should be sized up accordingly. Most patterns books and magazines these days go up to 42" or even 44". I think this would have been 'doable' for these designs while still keeping the integrity of the overall look.
Finally, the book consists almost entirely of jumpers and cardigans. There is one shrug, a skirt (to match a jumper), one fairisle beret, a scarf, fingerless mitts and stockings. As the war years saw lots of accessory knitting, I would have expected some corsages, some collars, some capes and more hats. Small projects make a good starting place for knitters like me who are competent but a little daunted by jumpers on tiny needles with over 200 stitches. Also, accessories have little of the sizing issues you find with garments.
All in all this is a stylish book. If none of the reservations I have listed above worry you, you will love and treasure it. However, if they cause you concerns you may be better looking elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely patterns, 25 Mar 2013
There are some really lovely patterns in this book with a true vintage feel but that won't look out of place now. There are several that I plan to knit and I've actually started the 'Wallis' cardigan. I'm so excited to finish it as it's looking good. However, I'm finding the instructions leave a little to be desired! Thankfully I'm quite an experienced knitter so am able to work out the bits and measurements that are missing!
All in all though I love this book and I'm hoping that it's only the 'Wallis' pattern that I find problems with.

3.0 out of 5 stars Knit Vintage, 13 Jan 2013
I loved the styles in this book, but struggled to follow one of the patterns. I contacted one of the authors by phone who told me that there had been an omission in the instructions. She apologised and put me straight, but admitted that there was more than one mistake.

2.0 out of 5 stars stunning sweaters so sorry that the pattern aren't correct, 25 Feb 2013
When this book arrived , I was stunned by the beaty of the sweaters. I started straight away with a pattern. After an hour i found out that not a thing was correct , the number of stitches didn't correspond , even in knitting a motive , one row had 9 stitches , the next 12 .... I am not a beginner in knitting and after a great deal of time i found the mistakes. But i imagine for someone who isn't ... So even if it is a beatifull book i rate it two starts because of the mistakes

2.0 out of 5 stars Very poor., 13 Jan 2014
I, too, was very taken by this lovely-looking book and thought the garments were beautiful. i bought the yarn, but, before I even started the first pattern (Jayne, p.17) I realised the number of inches/cms given for the ribbed welt was completely wrong...far too few. I added several, knitted them, then looked at the instructions for the 8-row pattern...didn't make sense, numbers didn't add up at all. Had to give up. I telephoned the publisher. The outcome of this was that I was emailed the right pattern (watch this space). Very helpful people there, but they only gave me corrections for the above pattern and the Greta wristwarmers/gloves. I would be interested to know if any other purchasers have found other patterns to be wrong.

I have been knitting for years and this the first time I have ever come across mistakes like these....even free patterns in magazines are right.

1.0 out of 5 stars Knit Vintage, 21 Feb 2014
I was delighted when the book arrived, but after attempting two of the garments, Jayne and Wallis, I am at a complete loss. Totally stressed and annoyed with the many mistakes in the instructions. I would like to know who I contact to get a set of instructions for Jayne and Wallis minus the mistakes. Help, At present I give no stars!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photography. Unclear and lazy instructions., 10 Oct 2013
I was spoilt for choice when deciding which pattern to knit. I chose the Hedy Tyrolean cardigan and spent a lot of money on the wool. Having been instructed to buy 8 50g balls of the main colour, I am left with nearly 4! The instructions seemed haphazard and I found myself making a lot of it up! I am not a novice knitter but like clear, concise instructions. Not sure if I can go through the stress of starting another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning, 13 Jan 2013
I've been knitting for almost a year but love the challenges "expert" difficulty patterns give and easily get bored by patterns that are plain. I have brought several books in this time in the hopes of finding something to inspire me this book is full of inspiration. I wouldn't knit and wear everything but I do want most of it. I haven't completed a garment yet but so far the instructions are easy to follow and I love the fact that many of the garments are shown in more than one picture. If you love vintage style knits that are designed for real woman with a bust and waist these are for you! Also unlike a lot of books the wools are all readily available in the UK (Rowan/fyberspates etc) which just adds to my love of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific, 28 Sep 2012
K. Platt "blackplantlady" (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Here's a fabulous collection of vintage style knits beautifully photographed in stylish surroundings. There's quite a few of these appealing knits for which I'd like to twist yarn around my needles. The book opens with a history of home knitting, continues with vintage details - remember girls - it's all about the details. The patterns start with pretty tops, then we are treated to cute cardigans, starlet sweaters, twinsets and finishing touches to complete your outfit. Of the 24 knitting patterns, I'm ravenous for 16 so it's hats off to Weston & Taylor. My favourite section is probably the twinsets, so right for Miss Marple, the country set and any gentrified persona. There's a super fair-isle too and so much more. I have not knitted anything yet, but the instructions seem clear and easy to follow. There are several photos of each style. Probably my favourite knitting book of the year. Terrific! This review first appeared on yarnsandfabrics blog.

5.0 out of 5 stars memories, 3 April 2013
Annmarie marlow (FRANCE) - See all my reviews
I am 80yrs old still knitting every day these patterns of long ago are a treat to knit and recall when I wore them.Thank you for remembering

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›