5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect ice cream book
I stumbled across the author when I was looking for help on the web on how to make caramel. Then I spotted his salted butter caramel ice cream recipe, which is frankly the best ice cream I've ever tasted (not in this book incidentally, but don't let that stop you buying it). So I asked for his book for my birthday and I have not been disappointed. The Gianduja Gelato...
Published on 9 May 2009 by Charlotte Nutt

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed!
Published 17 months ago by Alfie

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and knowledgeable, 14 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas and Sweet Accompaniments (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this book, and I'm very demanding when it comes to recipe books. Not for me are books that contain lots of photos but not much in the way of recipes, or those that sell a lifestyle without actually giving you authoritative advice on cooking techniques. But this one is just brilliant. As well as providing hundreds upon hundreds of carefully worked-out, utterly reliable recipes (have a look at the Index in Search Inside if you don't believe me), Lebovitz is extremely good at explaining technique and showing you exactly what to do. The book is really quite comprehensive - as well as the obvious variants like gelato, Philadelphia-style, sorbet and granita, it also tells you how to make other bases, for example with soured cream or condensed milk, and gives recipes for sauces, mix-ins - such as candied nuts - and even 'vessels', like cones.

Also, I love the slightly goofy picture of Lebovitz holding an ice cream cone on the back flap. You can see it in his eyes that he loves ice cream as much as I do!

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed!, 19 July 2013
I have been making ice cream a while now and have mainly used online recipes and recipes from cheap books. Since I started to get good at making it I researched some ice cream books on amazon and this book got an incredible average customer review so I thought I would give it a try. Unfortunately, many of the recipes I have tried have been very disappointing! Some recipes turn out well whilst others consistently turn out terrible. For instance, the coffee frozen yogurt never works even if you use fresh espresso! Moreover, this recipe (and many others) are so brief for such an expensive book - they literally say chuck the ingredients together in a bowl and freeze in your ice cream maker; there are more descriptive recipes than this on google! Some recipes are good but for me these are heavily outweighed by the many mediocre recipes and expensive price of the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Scoop, 22 Feb 2012
The Price is Right - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've recently bought an ice cream maker and since now I've relied on the web for my recipes as I couldn't find a book that suited me. The Lebovitz book has provided me with what I was looking for, it is 100% about recipes as a recipe book should be, no wasted pages about the history of ice cream (just a short introduction on the tools needed and a description of major ingredients), no wasted pages on cakes, mousses, cocktails, etc., out of 244 pages 214 pages are filled with ice cream, sorbets, frozen yogurt and granitas recipes, plus a short useful section on making sauces and biscuit cones! All recipes are well written, have a short entertaining introduction from the author, most include a "variation" section and all include "perfect pairing" advice, a huge selection of flavours and styles are covered and all recipes use European measures (no cups!). I recommend this book to whoever is serious about homemade ice cream making and is looking for a entertaining, informative and comprehensive book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 30 April 2010
Karin Andrea Halliwell (italy) - See all my reviews
I have already followed David's ice-cream recipes published in fine cooking magazine. Never thought my ice cream would come out so well but I have never had a mishap. The book is a real sort of bible for this craft. Jam packed with recipes not only for ice-cream but also granitas, frozen yogurt etc... It arrived in perfect condition. Very happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 12 Nov 2013
Decided to branch out on the ice cream making and this book received very good reviews. I would recommend it myself as a novice who has achieved very good results. The rum raisin recipe is a particular favourite, it stays soft and can be eaten straight from the freezer.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite ice cream book by far, 18 Oct 2013
M. H. King "Mazza" (Norfolk, UK) - See all my reviews
I have about six or seven books dedicated to ice creams and sorbets and this one beats them all hands down. It is clearly written with every step expertly explained and the selection of recipes is brilliant. I have lost count of the recipes I've tried but every single one has been a winner. The gianduja one is sublime and for this time of year, you can't beat the pear-caramel ice cream. If you love ice cream then you wont be disappointed with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmm!, 24 July 2013
Ice cream to drool over. Simply explained, easy recipes and totally delicious! The lemon flavour is devine. The best ice cream book by a mile!

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT... BUT if you have a small ice cream maker, read this review before you buy the book, 16 April 2013
I love this book!! And I love the ice cream that I have made with it! The only thing to make you aware of is that if you have one of the small cheaper ice cream makers - the recipes in this book all make more ice cream than the small machines can handle. So you will either have to halve all the ingredients in every recipe. Or you will have to make your ice cream in two batches. Which is a real pain that leads to inconsistent results.

But trust me when I tell you that if you do simply follow these recipes and fill your ice cream maker - you WILL jam it and possibly break the motor.

Because I'm so smitten with ice cream making I've decided to simply get a better (i.e. larger) ice cream maker so that I can get the most out of this book - which once again, is wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does ice-cream get better than this?, 12 Sep 2012
EJK (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The recipes are easy to follow and the ingredients easy to find. I've not yet tried some of the more unusual flavours but the more routine ones are 'the perfect scoop' of rich, creamy and delicious ice-cream. As an added bonus - the book is lovely to read and look at. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 9 Aug 2012
I bought this book at the same as Lola's one (also available on Amazon). I've been told by a number of people that Lola's is the best ice cream book on the market. Having gone through them both, I beg to differ....!

Lebowitz' enthusiasm and sense of child-like wonder about ice cream really comes through in this book, whilst I find Lola's a bit cold (pardon the pun) and scientific. Lebowitz has a larger variety of recipes, sometimes giving custard and non-custard varieties of the same one for when you absolutely positively need ice cream as soon as humanly possible. The range and inventiveness of the recipes is also incredible - so far I've done bog standard vanilla (with a berry swirl), roasted banana, butterscotch and pecan and avocado (inspired) and they have all come out brilliantly. There are some properly weird sounding ones (cracked black pepper ice cream anyone?) which just sound so mental that they must be good. Next up - caramelised pear.

Whilst I have yet to try the sorbets, sherbets or granitas I have every confidence that they will also be delicious.

The book itself is very nicely put together, with hints, tips and serving suggestions available on most recipes. I find this gives me the confidence to muck about a little and put my own spin on things. Although this does mostly involve just adding a shot of bourbon to everything. Mmmmm grown-up ice cream...

Oh - I would recommend investing in an ice cream machine too. Makes life so much easier and gives you a much creamier final product with no ice crystals in.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›