4.0 out of 5 stars Love it
I have just made 2 different sizes of the cover dress. They were quite easy, but I agree that some previous experience is necessary. I thought the instructions were quite good. They came out exactly like the photo shots and I am really pleased with the results. I am looking forward to making some of the other designs. The fabric I used was very similar to the photo and I...
Published on 22 April 2011 by Daisy

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT NOT NOT for a beginner
I got this book because the dresses look gorgeous. I started to make the 1950s pintuck dress last night. I spent 2 hours trying to pintuck the bodice, before swearing, screaming, and re-cutting the fabric bigger. I read reviews on amazon.com and other people have discovered the pattern pieces for this dress are drafted wrong, so phew, it's not me, but so so cross that...
Published on 6 Jun. 2011 by lozknit

3.0 out of 5 stars Some experience needed, 31 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Vintage Style for Kids: 25 Patterns for Timeless Clothes & Accessories (Paperback)
I found that when I made one of the baby outfits that there was simply not enough diagrams to follow. You need to be quite an expert to use the book. I understand pictures better than words. Also I drove me nuts having to print off the pattern on the computer and stick it together. The pattern lacked markings, on the garment I made I ended cutting the trouser bottoms up side down on a one way fabric as there was no top of pattern marked. I used the pocket as a guide, turns out the pocket was marked on upside down!

4.0 out of 5 stars Made baby's bubble playsuit, 9 May 2012
I love the clothes for girls and the dress shirt for boys. Sadly the peasant-type blouse shown in the picture is not one of the patterns. This was a disappointment.

I have only just returned to sewing after a break of thirty years so my skills are a little rusty. However, I have very successfully made the baby's bubble playsuit and I'm thrilled with it. The instructions are not always as easy as they might be, but I got there in the end. The baby's sunhat is lovely too. My next task will be the baby's dress and I plan to make the pintuck shirt eventually. I think, having got to grips with how the pattern and instructions work, it will be easier next time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just an "OK" pattern book, 3 Jan. 2011
Even though there are some simple ones here and there most of the patterns are not the most easiest patterns, so I wouldn't recommend this book for anyone who's just starting with sewing. The instructions are cute, as are the photos. Overall I'd say the book is an "OK" pattern book, nothing one couldn't live without. Though for a vintage fan with sewing skills and kids nearby this is probably very appreciated.

As a side remark: I personally dislike gender-related statements like "Dungarees are perfect for toddlers, especially for little boys". I guess that attitude is fitting to the old-fashioned theme? :P

5.0 out of 5 stars Home made boutique style, 22 April 2014
Mrs. E. J. Longhurst (UK) - See all my reviews
Yes some experience of sewing is required to make the dresses in this book. Having just completed the full circle dress I can say that the instructions given by the author were excellent. The completed dress is really stunning, and there have been lots of positive comments made. As a fairly inexperienced sewer I have definitely picked up some new skills. The particular dress I made did take HOURS to complete. This was due to my inexperience as a sewer, but also due to the fact that there was so much detail in the dress. So I would say don't buy this book if you are looking for quick and easy patterns. But if you want elegant, boutique style patterns and are prepared to put in much effort, the book is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars ooh exciting!, 11 July 2011
love this book! truly beautiful designs, including just the thing i was looking for, an absolutely adorable little 'bubble' romper suit.

Vintage Style for Kids: 25 Patterns for Timeless Clothes & Accessories