5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful book from Mich Turner
Published on 17 Jan 2009 by Mrs. E. C. Finch

3.0 out of 5 stars I made my wedding cake from here
I made my chocolate wedding cake from the recipe in this book. It looked great and tasted great, and you are probably asking well why only three stars?!
Published on 24 Nov 2009 by Marie Jones

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful book from Mich Turner, 17 Jan 2009
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
Any one who has any interest in a wedding cake will delight in this book, be they cake maker or bride to be. Mich creates stunning cakes with huge attention to detail and is incredibly skilled in her art. She passes on all her knowledge and gives clear concise instructions to recreate all the designs featured which are influenced by fashion through the last and present century. Recipes are included and I'm delighted to see more quantity guides for various size cakes than in her earlier books. I would buy the book for the chocolate cake recipe alone, it's an amazing taste sensation! Don't miss an opportunity to share the knowledge of a lady who is the top of her game and is prepared to pass on her secrets.

My only negative remark would be towards the use of fresh flowers on cakes. They do look beautiful, but should something sprayed with pesticides come into contact with a food item? The debate will continue I'm sure. Personally, I would only use sugar flowers. Mich does include instructions for sugar lillies and has included entirely edible designs, so those concerned over this issue are catered for.

I highly recommend this title. Well done Mich!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 27 Nov 2009
M. Chenier (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
Great pictures, great instructions, etc. I also got "Spectacular Cakes" by same author. My advice is DO NOT get both - as they are a repeat of each other. Some of the same cakes show up in both books, recipes are the same. Hard to choose which one I liked better because they were so similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all, 12 May 2009
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
This is a really good book deserving all the praise written here, whether you are new to the craft, a professional, or a bride seeking inspiration. The quality of the editing is always important I think, and that alone make for a pleasant book to use and refer to, whether you are reading it in bed or using it in the kitchen, as everything in that book is interesting, useful, clearly laid out and generally well put together in a quality but not too glossy book.
Most most of all, there are many designs of cakes to chose from or inspire you and all of these are really beautiful cakes with wide appeal, modern, classy and not always so difficult to achieve - although some are deceivingly difficult and need an experienced and steady hand.
Like other viewers, I note the abundant use of fresh flowers, and I feel that in fact, this only serves to show that it won't works unless the flowers are really amazing in quantity and quality and thus very expensive, meaning it is not always going to be the right solution nor the expected shortcut for the cake maker or the client, over sugar flowers.
The reference pages (recipes, sizes, fillings, setting up, pillars, etc.) are excellent. If you are are student or new to cake decorating, this will not necessarily be a comprehensive bible of all techniques such as piping, flooding, royal icing, flower making etc, (there is a hint of coldness in the explanations but to be fair, Mich has been very generous overall) it covers a fair amount and what it does perhaps show, is how even limited use of these techniques, in a modern way, can make a commercial cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best book yet., 21 May 2009
Cake Lady (Rochford, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
I have never been a big fan of Mich Turners previous books, I only ever browsed them, so decided to get this from the Library as well. However, within 2 hours I had returned it to the Library and ordered it from Amazon. I didnt even keep hold of it, I wanted to wait for my own copy. The recipes are lovely and clearly explained, but the best bit is Mich letting you into her secrets and technics, letting you know how she achieves certain results and created original works of art. There are plenty of ideas to try, whatever level you are. I am a Cake Dec tutor and can see things for me and my students to have a go at.

This book is a must. Keep it on the coffee table, read it in bed, use it to create wonders, just enjoy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for ideas not so easy to use, 15 Oct 2010
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
3.5 stars is actually what I would have liked to have given, but I gave 4 because it's so full of lovely cakes to make that I thought 3 was a bit harsh. Though I agree with Marie Jones, this is a fantastic book with amazingly designed cakes, which falls down on its design.
When you first get this book, you'll think "wow"! It's packed with fullpage glossy pictures of stunning modern wedding cakes that would grace any wedding table and as the author suggests "be the star of the reception"
However, it's on closer examination i.e. when you actually get down to the nitty gritty of how you're going to make the cake, that you realise that one or two steps are missing in the instructions, and you have to flip back and forth for pictures and information you need to complete the project.
A strange mix of excellent and average, means the pictures are fantastic, while the instructions for projects in general and specifics like chocolate roses and sugar flowers are average, the section on tiered cakes is very good.
All that said, this is a wonderful book full of ideas for stunning wedding cakes, with something for everyone, regardless of taste or level of skill. I would recommend it, with the above mentioned caviats.
I also bought The Wedding Cake Decorator's Bible: A Resource of Mix-and-Match-Designs and Embellishments which has excellent instructions on both chocolate and sugar flowers, and the two books together should help me create the perfect wedding cake.

[If the graphic designer is reading this, I was taught that good design looks good but is practical, this falls short on the latter, and the editor, you should check both these areas, and as such made the necessary revisions before going to print!]

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cakes, 22 April 2012
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
This book has some fabulous idea's for decorating your wedding cakes. Not only that but it also has recipes for a selection of different cakes apart from the usual fruit. I have already tried one recipe and I have to say it was quite possibly the best lemon sponge I have ever made. Everyone who tried it, absolutely loved it. So next week I am going to use Mich Turner's Fruit cake recipe, which looks fantastic too. Slightly different to other fruit cake recipe's I have tried but I trust the recipe after trying the lemon sponge. There are only a couple of little niggles for me, one is that the recipe's are for a 6 inch cake and anything bigger I have to work the weight of the ingredient's out whereas I would have liked them already worked out for me. The other is that I would have loved there to have been a few more cakes in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning wedding cake book, 5 Mar 2010
N. Matthews (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
This is one of my favourite books ever - it is beautiful. The cakes are inspiring, photos are great - very clear and show good detail. There are really useful sections on making cakes themselves - which I didn't expect. If you are interesting in making a wedding/celebration cake, this is a must have book.

3.0 out of 5 stars I made my wedding cake from here, 24 Nov 2009
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
The layout in this book is crazy. You have to flick back and forth for the different recipes. They are all at the back. Then you have to calculate for the different size cakes the proportion of icing, sugar syrup, marzipan, chocolate ganache. Its a lot of hassle especially when you need a couple recipes at once and they give you a giant recipe for one and a small one for the next. The cakes are expensive to make, but its an occasion cake. I liked it for the ideas but for a beginner(which I am not) it would be crazy and very disheartening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
Mitch Turner is such a talented cake designer, this book show cases some of her wonderful creations. I think her instructions are well defined and very helpful to the novice, as well as the more experienced cake makers/designers. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning new skills etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couture Wedding Cakes, 31 Mar 2011
Mrs. Sm Scott - See all my reviews
This review is from: Couture Wedding Cakes (Hardcover)
This book is a must for all sugarcrafters making wedding Cakes as it is
such a lovely book with stunning cakes and recipes that work!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Couture Wedding Cakes
Couture Wedding Cakes by Mich Turner (Hardcover - 25 Jan 2009)
20.40