5.0 out of 5 stars "A book between friends" reviews Brenton Brown, 25 July 2011
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Paperback)
This is the final instalment in the life and times of Brenton Brown, aka the "Steppin Volcano" as he was known in the days when he was considered a Brixton "bad man." This book does not disappoint, its lively, fast paced and has well considered characterisations of all major and minor characters. Alex does well to not force an overly nostalgic tone to the book and despite the references to the music which Brenton and his "boys" still listen to, the book has moved on to describe life in Brixton as we know it now with the cool bars and well heeled clubs around Coldharbour Lane.

It is a timely book to follow up the great Brixton Rock, and we learn what has happened to Brenton, Juliet, Floyd, Coffin Head, Biscuit since those strife filled days of the early 80s.

A fantastic read !

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly amazing book, 16 Sep 2013
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Paperback)
I started this book on a Monday and by Wednesday I was finished. As a young girl I always use to read but when entering teenage life I stopped reading but after finding the book Brenton Brown I can't stop reading. Alex wheatle is truly an amazing writer. I finished another one of his book the dirty south during the same week and now going to purchase another one of his books. Growing up in south london I could really relate to this book as I live 10 minutes from where the book is based. The events that take place are ones which take place in society today in both the young and older generation. I really recommend this book it is truely an incredible read you won't be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, and too long delayed, follow up to Brixton Rock, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Paperback)
Alex Wheatle provides real insight to a culture not familiar to the UK population in general. Has peruaded me to buy his other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brenton Brown - a stunning sequel to Brixton Rock., 6 Oct 2012
L. Bamfield Gee (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Paperback)
Over twenty years on, Brenton Brown, the kid from the children's home has made good. He has qualifications, runs his own business and owns his own home, but his past haunts him. He doesn't want to live with secrets and lies from his youth but it's not only his future that will be affected should the truth emerge.

A tutor once remarked on one of my literature essays, that I should remember that characters in fiction are not real people but literary devices. I disagree; when I read, I want the characters to be people I can get to know. Alex Wheatle writes his characters so convincingly that the reader knows them inside out. They may be flawed, they may make mistakes, we may disagree with them but we understand where they are coming from.

Sequels are often disappointing but this one is every bit as good as Brixton Rock, or even better. If I had to, I could make a couple of minor criticisms of this novel; an occasional sentence that could have been reworked, an overused phrase, but these are trifling details compared with the vivid settings, pace, dialogue and plot.

It's not always a comfortable read but I couldn't put it down, except when I had to take a few deep breaths. Read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brenton Brown - No longer the young buck he was in 'Brixton Rock', 10 Sep 2011
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Paperback)
'Brenton Brown' is the sequel to Alex Wheatle's 'Brixton Rock', a novel I thoroughly enjoyed and which prompted me to read this book. In 'Brenton Brown' Wheatle allows readers to gain a better understanding of Brenton's character via the flashbacks that he presents of Brenton's troubled childhood growing up in care. With this he also takes us on a journey of Brenton's current life, 20 or so years after having an affair and a child with his half-sister Juliet.

To properly understand the love history behind Brenton and Juliet, as well as other aspects of the book, I would recommend first reading 'Brixton Rock' before reading this novel. However it's not necessary as there are some explanations in 'Brenton Brown' to prevent new readers from being lost in regards to Brenton's past. Still to fully appreciate the chemistry that still exists between Brenton and Juliet in 'Brenton Brown' I would say read 'Brixton Rock'.

Most of the novel surrounds the life of Brenton, his sister Juliet, their daughter Breanna and Juliet's husband Clayton - a life of lies and secrets as Brenton and Juliet struggle to hide the truth about their past and Breanna's real father from Clayton and Breanna. For me, I found the ending of the novel most interesting as readers are exposed to changes in Breanna's character sparked by traumatic events in her life. But it is the state that Brenton and Juliet end up in that I would say tops the novel off.

Though the novel can be a bit gritty at times, there were a few lines that I found myself chuckling at. Being from South London, I also enjoyed the fact that I could recognise many of the locations that were referenced in the book - it made me reminisce on how places have changed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 13 Aug 2013
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Kindle Edition)
I didn't find the book as good a Brixton Rock I didn't think it was a great page turner. It was however a good easy read

5.0 out of 5 stars As Real As It Gets, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Kindle Edition)
This is a sequel to the novel "Brixton Rock" through which I first fell in love with Brenton Brown. From the first page I knew I had to ration myself to a chapter a day to make the affair last even longer. With each chapter of the story being told from the vantage point of different characters you are hard-pressed not to fall in love with them all. An inspired idea to pick up the story some twenty years on and see how much has/hasn't changed. With the musical references and accurate descriptions of the South London locations you feel, smell, see, taste and almost touch this one.With storylines, twists and turns so juicy you have to wipe your chin I would recommend this to any one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breton Brown, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Brenton Brown (Kindle Edition)
I read this book years ago, and really enjoyed it. I now re-read the book several years later, and I still enjoyed it. I like the way Alex writes, it makes you imagine what the character Brenton is like. I have recommended this book to my friends.

ARRAY(0xaa6bd75c)

Brenton Brown
Brenton Brown by Alex Wheatle (Paperback - 23 Jun 2011)
8.63