Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 October 2012
Well, I can't find one thing wrong with this book, except for the fact, that once I reached the end, I wanted more. I don't paint in oils, but, I find that my Acrylics do the same thing for me as the oils do for Peter Wileman, if I keep them wet enough. Reading this book has shown me, that for the past 20 years, I have been looking at things in a different way than I should have been. From start to finish, this book has done more for me than any other book has done in the past. If you buy this book, and take time to understand just what Peter Wileman is trying to tell you, Then you will go out there and look at life in a totally different way than you have ever done before, as far as painting is concerned.

FIVE STARS FOR THIS BOOK..?.. You bet your life it is..
on 25 August 2011
This book is excellent for all budding painters. I found I couldn't put it down.It is very informative and Peter Wileman is a very good painter. He explains everything with ease and has made it very interesting.

I have learned new techniques and can't wait to start on my next project.

Congratulations to both Peter Wileman and Malcolm Allsop.

I can't wait for the next book.
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2015
I waited weeks in vain to get this from Amazon, and in the end had to buy it from the publisher. After all that, I have to say I was rather disappointed. I love this artist's work, and in particular his contemporary paintings that are far from totally abstract, but lean that way. They are stunningly beautiful. As this book was published in 2011, I expected to see some of his older more figurative work, but with no 'Look Inside' facility, I crossed my fingers and hoped there would be perhaps just a few of the more contemporary works.

Sadly, although the paintings are very good, they are all figurative and really not that much different from those by many other competent painters. I can only speak personally, but they don't inspire me in the way that his contemporary work does. And if I see any more paintings of flipping Venice and Pin Mill, I will scream. Over hyped or what. As another reviewer said, sadly about the only thing I have learned is another use for Polyfilla.
on 3 November 2011
I came across Peter Wileman's work by accident and became an immediate fan.This book is full of stunning paintings which are an inspiration to us all.Anyone interested in painting outdoor scenes with light will not be able to put it down.
on 3 October 2011
This is the book most keen landscape painters have been waiting for. At last a book which cuts through the dogma relating to the correct techniques and materials. This artist's knowledge, experience and honesty shows through in a way which all oil painters will find accessible and inspiring. This is a down to earth and beautiful book by a true professional. The cover says it all!
on 23 August 2011
I ordered this book on the strength of the beautiful painting on the front cover, and for sure, the front cover did not disappoint - Wileman is an accomplished and fluid artist. For perfectly sound reasons, his style makes a virtue out of the quick idea. So the more you look at many of the paintings, the less there is to see, because it's all about a fleeting impression. Absolutely valid in outdoor painting, no doubt, and this is not a criticism of his style, but I was expecting an in depth look at colours and how their juxtapositions create the illusion of vibrant light; there's very little of that kind of technical instruction, perhaps because Wileman points out that painting is more of a mental process. The book is more a display of all the places he's been to and the speed at which he was able to make a painting of it. Levitan's work took weeks, months and even years, which is why I could stare at his stuff forever and never get tired of it. Anyway, my main benefit was learning a new source for paintbrushes, and how to prime wood with textured and tinted surfaces, and there are a couple of simply beautiful paintings which I cut out and stuck on my studio wall for inspiration. But I also learned that quick-sketch oil painting is not for me.
33 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2012
Not just a "Coffee Table" book but a very inspirational book, for Painters and non painters alike. The pictures are exquisite.
on 15 January 2015
An inspiring guide by Peter Wileman on painting dramatically lit landscapes and capturing the elusive quality of light. Other similar artists come to mind (Chamberlain, Seago, Cuming) who also work with similar subject matter, and they are all masters of the medium, producing works of elusive simplicity, once you analyse what is going on. This is where Peter's modest approach is helpful - no hidden agendas or 'secrets'. His message is that we can also paint like this and he is there to inspire through numerous examples.
There are good illustrated chapters on how he paints (outdoors, studio, from photos, etc) and also an excellent guide on preparing mdf board for painting.
This book will continue to be of great value as a resource on my bookshelf for landscapes in oils.
on 28 October 2015
I've admired Peter Wileman's landscape paintings for some time and bought this mainly to have some colour reproductions on paper rather than just in digital form. The book certainly provides a fair number of these, including quite a few I hadn't seen. One of the publicity justifications for buying the book is that it offers step-by-step demonstrations of his technique. There are a few of these, but Wileman has no intention of letting readers have a clear insight into his methods. We gain some idea of his very sophisticated handling of colour, but it's more a series of hints. If you're a fan of his work, by all means buy it, but if you really want to know how he puts his paintings together, don't expect to be that much the wiser.
on 27 September 2011
I found this book to be well written and illustrated with guidance for the novice and more experienced painter in abundance.This is one of my better purchases